or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Proper Trench
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Proper Trench - Page 5

post #61 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

At the risk of offending the rat, tongue/language is lingua not lengua. But who am I to lecture on arselicking?

hmm.

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes


Yeah, probably, lol. As I said, though, I never really took to Latin and gave it up at a young age. Languages aren't my strong suit.

 

But I always like this one, as deployed by Sir Humphrey Appleby to Prime Minister Hacker: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

post #62 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Yeah, probably, lol.

Knowing Latin is little more than an indicator that you went to a private school.
post #63 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Yeah, probably, lol.

Knowing Latin is little more than an indicator that you went to a private school.


Hence the validity of the quote! :)

post #64 of 197
Thread Starter 
My father is aware of my search for a trench and just texted me this: "I bought you a new trench" along with this picture:

stock-photo-unwrapped-pink-condom-on-a-white-background-26857687.jpg

You know what they say about the apple not falling far from the tree...
post #65 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

 

But I always like this one, as deployed by Sir Humphrey Appleby to Prime Minister Hacker: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

 

Great, great show!

post #66 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE7 View Post

Isnt Barbour (e.g. Beaufort) more versatile and breathable than a trench?
The OP isn't after a Barbour.
I simply don't understand the fascination - even obsession - with Barbour jackets. The waxed cloth is, if anything, less breathable than the proofed cotton (or cotton-mix) of standard raincoats (including those in trench-coat style). But beyond that, the short jacket-length of Barbours means that the trousers get wet unless one wears overtrousers. Why go to the bother of having to don two garments (jacket and trousers) when one (a coat to the knee or below) will do just as well?
post #67 of 197
Thread Starter 
There was some discussion about Barbour recently in another thread. While I have never understood the attraction to it to begin with I do declare that it has jumped the shark. It is also too casual for my purposes anyway.
post #68 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I hate the short raincoats I see these days, makes no sense because your trousers still get soaked.
Just the point I was trying to make with respect to Barbour jackets. Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed your sentence I have quoted before I made the last comment.
Edited by williamson - 3/1/13 at 12:50am
post #69 of 197
duplicate post - I apologise!.
Edited by williamson - 3/1/13 at 12:50am
post #70 of 197
Thread Starter 
I brought up to Frank today the possibility of him making me a trench. The first thing he said was, "Get the Burberry one." I lol'ed. He said he could totally do it and he is going to pull together some fabrics that he thinks might work well for it for me to think about.
post #71 of 197
I am late to this, but I thought Valstar might be a good addition to the above mentioned brands.

This is probably too short but I'm intrigued by the cotton/silk fabric:
http://chcmshop.com/item-detail/?group=clothing&id=219

This is a better length:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma54j9W0pn1rv7nzl.jpg

And then there's this old piece of advertising as well:
post #72 of 197
I second your tailor's recommendation to just get the Burberry, especially if you can find a good, second-hand one that is 100% cotton.

Anyway, am I the only fisherman here who, when looking at the title of this thread on the SF main page, thinks that it is talking about a proper tench?

File source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tinca_tinca_Prague_Vltava_3.jpg
post #73 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

"Ackwa Scrotum". RJMan taught me how to pronounce it.

Does anyone really wish to buy a trench that is named wet testicles?
post #74 of 197
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

I second your tailor's recommendation to just get the Burberry, especially if you can find a good, second-hand one that is 100% cotton.

Anyway, am I the only fisherman here who, when looking at the title of this thread on the SF main page, thinks that it is talking about a proper tench?

File source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tinca_tinca_Prague_Vltava_3.jpg

There's another trench it makes me think of. It doesn't have to do with fish, per se.
post #75 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


There's another trench it makes me think of. It doesn't have to do with fish, per se.

Ooh ooh, I know---The Mariana Trench!  peepwall[1].gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Proper Trench