or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › An interview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An interview - Page 6

post #76 of 82
Done and done, the old video is now back on Keikari.

I inquired from Baker's about their oak bark leather soles a few weeks ago. I was interested in buying a few units for re-solings and my own tests, this is what I received:

'Further to your email of 19th February, we do supply cut soles. Our minimum order is £500 ex tannery.

We assure you of our best attention.
Yours,
Andrew Parr'

As for pricing:

'BEST GENTS CUT HALF SOLES
8/8 ½ iron 9/9 ½ iron 10/11 iron
Size 9 £6.25 £6.50
Size 11 £6.45 £6.65'
post #77 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

This is a bold statement... but it sounds to me like this may be just as big of a case of trying to "pull the wool over the eyes" of consumers as gemming is.  Granted, gemming failure is a much larger issue than a sole simply wearing more quickly.  However, there seems to be a general belief out there that while oak bark tanning is the best method, it is also readily available, and that JR is the biggest supplier of said leather.  Check out these sites when you have a few minutes just to name a few. 

http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/1/company-profile/

http://dieworkwear.com/post/12840207540/the-beauty-of-oak-bark-tanned-leather

http://leffot.com/2008/06/28/oak-bark-leather-what-is-it-exactly/

I am disappointed to hear that many companies claiming "oak leather" soles are in fact not really that.  I wonder if companies using valona are claiming their leather to be oak bark tanned since it is "oak in origin" and they are just comfortable with the deceit, believing that customers will never know the difference. 

The first link says this: "Nature supplies the main ingredients for the tan mixture used in traditional oak-bark ground-tanning; primarily oak, spruce and mimosa bark as well as valonea fruit. "

On the other hand, I could be wrong...all I know is what I have been told about Rendenbach since time out of mind and what my experiences with it has been. I do have preferences.

Then too, things do change.

Beyond that, "spin" is the way of the world. Nothing surprising there. It's why ignorance is the primary killer of white anglo-saxon males under the age of 60. cool.gif

--
Edited by DWFII - 3/13/13 at 10:53am
post #78 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

Done and done, the old video is now back on Keikari.

I inquired from Baker's about their oak bark leather soles a few weeks ago. I was interested in buying a few units for re-solings and my own tests, this is what I received:

'Further to your email of 19th February, we do supply cut soles. Our minimum order is £500 ex tannery.

We assure you of our best attention.
Yours,
Andrew Parr'

As for pricing:

'BEST GENTS CUT HALF SOLES
8/8 ½ iron 9/9 ½ iron 10/11 iron
Size 9 £6.25 £6.50
Size 11 £6.45 £6.65'

Great! Glad it's back...I look so young and buff in it.

The HCC has on several occasions created Buyer's Consortiums (we are a non-profit) to buy from Baker. and while the management has always been courteous and genial and we have always gotten our orders (and they've been correct) it is still like pulling teeth. Sometimes months go by just trying to finalize the order and have it recognized.

That's just the way it is, I guess. Nevertheless I will forever be a fan and consider it the premium insole leather in the world.

--
Edited by DWFII - 3/13/13 at 11:01am
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


The first link says this: "Nature supplies the main ingredients for the tan mixture used in traditional oak-bark ground-tanning; primarily oak, spruce and mimosa bark as well as valonea fruit. "

On the other hand, I could be wrong...all I know is what I have been told about Rendenbach since time out of mind and what my experiences with it has been. Then too, things do change.

Beyond that, "spin" is the way of the world. Nothing surprising there. It's why ignorance is the primary killer of white anglo-saxon males under the age of 60. cool.gif

 

Ahh, thanks, I missed that link.

post #80 of 82
Thread Starter 
Mind you...I'm not saying Rendenbach is junk ...if there were no Baker, I would probably like it better (except for insoling).

I used it for years...as it is readily available in the US (unlike Baker)...but quit it because of the branding and when a Belgian chestnut tannage became available.
post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Mind you...I'm not saying Rendenbach is junk ...if there were no Baker, I would probably like it better (except for insoling).

I used it for years...as it is readily available in the US (unlike Baker)...but quit it because of the branding and when a Belgian chestnut tannage became available.

 

Yeah, that makes sense. 

post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

I was recently asked to do a long distance interview with a gentleman--Mr. Ville Raivio--who operates a blog out of Finland addressing classic men's styles. The interview arose just as he is taking the blog international.

Some of his previous interviews have been with Bernhard Roetzel, G. Bruce Boyer, Karl Matthews, Alan Flusser, Will Boehlke and Luca Rubinacci , among others. And while those names don't mean much to a rather isolated, semi-retired old snab such as myself, the names will resonate with core Style Forum members, I'm sure.

It occurred to me that some here might enjoy it--KEIKARI.COM 24 Feb.2013

Phenomenal interview. A great craftsman.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › An interview