or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cable Car Clothiers – Traditional Haberdashery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cable Car Clothiers – Traditional Haberdashery - Page 4

post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheme View Post

Gus, thanks for some great pics. CCC could be an impressive venue for an SF meetup.

On a side note, if CCC could expand their product lines to include some Italian cuts, in addition to their full, structured English cuts, it would attract even more audience.

I saw no English cuts when I visited the shop and tried on several jackets, except for the shooting jacket which certainly has an English image, but still has a trad-Ivy cut. Unless the darts make it "structured English"
post #47 of 70
Pardon the ignorance but what is a trad-ivy-cut? -- a straight cut as opposed to a cut where the waist is a little more defined?
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Pardon the ignorance but what is a trad-ivy-cut? -- a straight cut as opposed to a cut where the waist is a little more defined?

usually, ivy cut will have a narrow and pad-less (or very little padding) shoulder. Sometimes without front dart. The coat general fit like a a layer rather than something structured. Ivy blazer are very innovative with their colours
post #49 of 70
Ivy Cut Jacket:

http://heavytweed.blogspot.com/

( See jackets beginning about 1/3 of the way down the page)
post #50 of 70
Thread Starter 
Wool Cableknit Cricket sweaters , made in the UK, in both long sleeve and vest versions.

post #51 of 70
Those hats look awful. I was going to take a pic of their front window display and post it here just to yank your chain, but now I don't need to.

It looks like they're trying to channel Al's, but more garish.
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Those hats look awful. I was going to take a pic of their front window display and post it here just to yank your chain, but now I don't need to.

It looks like they're trying to channel Al's, but more garish.

What's with the hate? You've been bitching since page 1. If you've got a real issue, out with it or move on.

CCC should be noted for having much of the Trumpers line. If you haven't used Trumpers (or other comparable) shampoo, you're missing out.
post #53 of 70
My real issue is that Cable Car Clothiers appears to have repackaged their product in a manner which has little to do with style and more to do with caricature. Am I not allowed to say this?
post #54 of 70
I think the objection would be that this is something like the 5th time you've said it in this thread. Hayward doesn't like CCC, we get it.
post #55 of 70
So?

And when OP (inadvertently) posts pics of ridiculously hued headwear, no one can comment?

The overall look they're selling now seems to be Boardwalk Empire, or perhaps Burger King Goes Golfing. It's starting to cross the line from Classic Menswear (of which they used to be at least a kind of exemplar) to Streetwear/subculture. And Al's is already there and does it better (at least when you can get Al to focus).
post #56 of 70
Looks like professorial clothes tend to instigate professor-like arguments.
post #57 of 70
Indubitably.
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

So?

And when OP (inadvertently) posts pics of ridiculously hued headwear, no one can comment?

The overall look they're selling now seems to be Boardwalk Empire, or perhaps Burger King Goes Golfing. It's starting to cross the line from Classic Menswear (of which they used to be at least a kind of exemplar) to Streetwear/subculture. And Al's is already there and does it better (at least when you can get Al to focus).

post #59 of 70
Whereupon we are reduced to playing Pictionary. You really like the orange trilby?
post #60 of 70
I heard a bit of local gossip about Cable Car Clothiers about 7or 8 years ago at another
(non competing) high-end mens shop from one of its employees. The gist of it was that for
Charles Pivnick , the owner, the store had become a "hobby" which didn't have make
a profit because Picvnick had made a fortune in San Francisco real estate over the years.
I had mentioned this previously on SF. I have no idea whether it is true. What was true
and may still be is that I rarely saw many customers in the store when nearby mens
shops were busy.
Edited by comrade - 2/28/13 at 10:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cable Car Clothiers – Traditional Haberdashery