or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › John Lobb Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

John Lobb Appreciation Thread - Page 258

post #3856 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post
 


I based my guesstimate from your EG sizing of 8.5E, not on your Brannock measurement.  Based on Brannock, your EG size should be 9.5E UK and your JL should be 9E UK.  Based on your US 9.5, its 9E EG and 8.5E JL.

 

EG/G&G usually lists two size indicators inside their shoes; first one being UK, second one being JL, e.g., 9.5/10 means 9.5E UK, 10D US.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola View Post
 

I am waiting for a pair of dark oak EG Chelsea on F82 last in size 9. For example I am a 9E in John Lobb. I will see if I screwed .. Basically thought I could skip with a half size smaller shoe but wider fit. Also heard about EG resin last being more generous so I hope it will fit. If not I will offer them at attractive price. Even ordered EG shoe trees. Interestingly, when ordering from Mr. Porter they say EG fits true to size, and to take your normal size. So when you order a EG shoe from there in size 9, you will receive size 9/9.5 ...

 

 

Logically, you'd think that it would be pretty straight forward regarding sizing. I've heard everything from take a half size down from your brannock on EG lasts (UK sizing) to take your Alden Barrie size. All of which did not bode well for me.

 

As mentioned previously...I measure a US10 on both feet on the brannock with one foot a solid D and the other closer to a C. The EG82 on a UK9.5E was awful, massive all around. The UK9E was poor - UK9D not bad - UK8.5E absolutely perfect - UK8.5D slightly too tight across the vamp. The same held true across all of their other lasts with the exception of the EG64, which I had to go a half size up due to shorter length than their other lasts. Thus, in my experience, EG is far from TTS.

 

Anyway...I'll never buy another shoe again without trying it on in person before hand. Lesson learned. I just wanted to see if you all wouldn't mind recommending a good place to start with JL's.

 

Thank you again!

post #3857 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post




Logically, you'd think that it would be pretty straight forward regarding sizing. I've heard everything from take a half size down from your brannock on EG lasts (UK sizing) to take your Alden Barrie size. All of which did not bode well for me.

As mentioned previously...I measure a US10 on both feet on the brannock with one foot a solid D and the other closer to a C. The EG82 on a UK9.5E was awful, massive all around. The UK9E was poor - UK9D not bad - UK8.5E absolutely perfect - UK8.5D slightly too tight across the vamp. The same held true across all of their other lasts with the exception of the EG64, which I had to go a half size up due to shorter length than their other lasts. Thus, in my experience, EG is far from TTS.

Anyway...I'll never buy another shoe again without trying it on in person before hand. Lesson learned. I just wanted to see if you all wouldn't mind recommending a good place to start with JL's.

Thank you again!
You will be 8uk Jl man
post #3858 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post




Logically, you'd think that it would be pretty straight forward regarding sizing. I've heard everything from take a half size down from your brannock on EG lasts (UK sizing) to take your Alden Barrie size. All of which did not bode well for me.

As mentioned previously...I measure a US10 on both feet on the brannock with one foot a solid D and the other closer to a C. The EG82 on a UK9.5E was awful, massive all around. The UK9E was poor - UK9D not bad - UK8.5E absolutely perfect - UK8.5D slightly too tight across the vamp. The same held true across all of their other lasts with the exception of the EG64, which I had to go a half size up due to shorter length than their other lasts. Thus, in my experience, EG is far from TTS.

Anyway...I'll never buy another shoe again without trying it on in person before hand. Lesson learned. I just wanted to see if you all wouldn't mind recommending a good place to start with JL's.

Thank you again!


I do not understand how people size down on John Lobb compared to EG?

Trickers and Crockett&Jones yes but so much difference between EG and JL?

I have on my left foot now as I type a pair of EG in size 8.5 58E last shoe and on my right foot a JL on the 7000 last size 8.5E
both fit perfectly fine, in fact if anything the EG is a touch loose but not that I need any insole or anything, they feel exactly the same
There is no way on earth I could get my feet in the same shoe in a size 8.

Have JL changed their shoe sizing or are they making different shoes for the US market?

I have known both these companies for around 30 years but have never experienced that much difference in the fitting.

If you take a size 8.5E with EG I would stay with the same size with JL except if the shoe is on EE fitting or the older William last they used I think it was 9676 or something like that.
post #3859 of 4402
Can anyone advise on the 1105 last? Do most take the same size as in 7000? TIA
post #3860 of 4402

@peppercorn78 I will check my Lobbs when I get home. I think I have some 1105's

@Farhad19620 My EG's have always fit smaller than my Lobbs. I take a half size larger in EG.

post #3861 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmenco View Post

@peppercorn78
 I will check my Lobbs when I get home. I think I have some 1105's
@Farhad19620
 My EG's have always fit smaller than my Lobbs. I take a half size larger in EG.


Thank you, please can you also compare the last on both shoes.

I find The 7000 last JL is exactly the same as the EG 82 with slightly more space at the toe end with the JL.
post #3862 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post


I do not understand how people size down on John Lobb compared to EG?

Trickers and Crockett&Jones yes but so much difference between EG and JL?

I have on my left foot now as I type a pair of EG in size 8.5 58E last shoe and on my right foot a JL on the 7000 last size 8.5E
both fit perfectly fine, in fact if anything the EG is a touch loose but not that I need any insole or anything, they feel exactly the same
There is no way on earth I could get my feet in the same shoe in a size 8.

Have JL changed their shoe sizing or are they making different shoes for the US market?

I have known both these companies for around 30 years but have never experienced that much difference in the fitting.

If you take a size 8.5E with EG I would stay with the same size with JL except if the shoe is on EE fitting or the older William last they used I think it was 9676 or something like that.

 

I am 9.5F EG82 but in-between 9E and 9EE JL 7000/8000.

post #3863 of 4402
I typically also find lobb (7000 last) more spacious than EG at the same size. Compared to the EG 202 at 8.5E, lobb 7000 last was noticeably longer and had more instep room.
I would suggest getting Lobb over the internet without trying (more so than EG). Their sizing i feel was more quirky, especialky to geta size that minimized any heel slip in the beginning.
post #3864 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmenco View Post

@peppercorn78
 I will check my Lobbs when I get home. I think I have some 1105's
@Farhad19620
 My EG's have always fit smaller than my Lobbs. I take a half size larger in EG.

Thanks! You're the man!
post #3865 of 4402

FWIW, I am 8 uk on the 9795 JL last.  8,5 EE on the 7000 last (no good fit  so no shoes on this last) and 8.5 E on the EG 606 last.

post #3866 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post


Thank you, please can you also compare the last on both shoes.

I find The 7000 last JL is exactly the same as the EG 82 with slightly more space at the toe end with the JL.

will you take same UK size as JL and EG?  Let say for example 10.5/11.5  In john lobb vs 10.5/11.0 EG.

post #3867 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujujoo11 View Post

will you take same UK size as JL and EG?  Let say for example 10.5/11.5  In john lobb vs 10.5/11.0 EG.

From my experience, JL 7000 last is about half size larger than EG 82 and 202 last.
post #3868 of 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin8451 View Post


From my experience, JL 7000 last is about half size larger than EG 82 and 202 last.

so EG 11/11.5 = to JL 10.5/11.5

post #3869 of 4402

I am wearing  EG 10/10.5 888 last today. Nice snug (but not too snug) fit. My equivalent Lobb Size is 9.5 - 7000 last. All my EG's fit a half size smaller than my Lobbs.

post #3870 of 4402

Anyone know a place near SoCal Los Angeles where they carry EG?  Thank goodness we have JL in costa mesa 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › John Lobb Appreciation Thread