or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Blazer for business attire?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blazer for business attire?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Going to a party calling for "Business Attire". Most everyone will be in suits, but I don't like suits, mostly wear dress pants and shirts to work. I was thinking of buying a blazer and wearing it with black dress pants and a light blue shirt and tie. 

 

Would dark navy or a grey would go better with black + light blue?

 

Would you go with the tie or just shirt?

post #2 of 16
I'd wear a suit - just as the invitation demands. When you give a party you can put 'blazers' on the invitation.

What would you do if it said 'black tie;, wear a blazer to that as well?
post #3 of 16
Daytime or evening? Though, IMHO, black trousers are not the optimum choice in either case.

Get the navy blazer and wear mid-gray trousers.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

I'd wear a suit - just as the invitation demands. When you give a party you can put 'blazers' on the invitation.

What would you do if it said 'black tie;, wear a blazer to that as well?

I was going to ask why the suit hate, but figured I'd just open a can of worms... If it's an evening party, I'd definitely suggest getting a gray suit.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC View Post


I was going to ask why the suit hate, but figured I'd just open a can of worms... If it's an evening party, I'd definitely suggest getting a gray suit.

I think I would agree if it said Business Formal, but the invitation just asks for "Business Attire" which today I don't think demands a suit. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

I'd wear a suit - just as the invitation demands. When you give a party you can put 'blazers' on the invitation.

What would you do if it said 'black tie;, wear a blazer to that as well?

Business Formal or Black Tie are pretty specific so I follow the norm, but in this case I think my preference of suit avoidance should be ok. As for the black trousers, I was thinking something like this but with a very light blue shirt and tie. 

Thanks!

 

post #6 of 16
Business attire generally means suit and tie. Depending on the event, some people may be dressed less formally or may disregard the dress code, but the invitation is pretty clear. Disregarding a dress code in an invitation because other people might do it is something that you may well get away with but it is not good form. You really should wear a suit. Even if you don't like suits, you should have one solid grey or navy suit for occasions like this where they're expected. If there's a dress code that essentially calls for suits and you want to go to the event in question, apologies for being blunt, but it does not matter if you don't like suits. When you host a party, you can make the dress code whatever you want.

If you insist on wearing a navy blazer instead of a suit (or do not have a suit and this is a "do I really need to own a suit" thread), do not wear it with black pants. Medium grey is the correct shade of trouser for an event like this. In any event, wear a shirt and tie. I'd be much more willing to overlook someone wearing grey trousers and a navy blazer instead of a suit (some people do not own suits and may not be informed enough to know that a navy blazer and grey trousers is not a suit / ideal substitute) than someone who couldn't even be bothered to wear a tie.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Business attire generally means suit and tie. Depending on the event, some people may be dressed less formally or may disregard the dress code, but the invitation is pretty clear. Disregarding a dress code in an invitation because other people might do it is something that you may well get away with but it is not good form. You really should wear a suit. Even if you don't like suits, you should have one solid grey or navy suit for occasions like this where they're expected. If there's a dress code that essentially calls for suits and you want to go to the event in question, apologies for being blunt, but it does not matter if you don't like suits. When you host a party, you can make the dress code whatever you want.
 

I really appreciate your advice but I would say you are a bit over the top on the "Business Attire" definition. Dress has slid to the casual. My office and all the companies I deal with are either business casual or business. I rarely see suits outside of higher management. Tech has irrevocably changed dress in this country in all offices even outside of tech. 

 

 

But back on topic, I love ties and have many I don't often wear because I don't wear them without a jacket.  Most of the blazers I see are worn without one so I was just asking. I prefer to show off a tie. Why no black trousers though?  I was thinking of this or something similar, and most have black trousers. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/FredM/blazer_zps4e41d2bc.jpg

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
 

double post


Edited by JamesBill - 2/21/13 at 12:06pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post

Going to a party calling for "Business Attire" ... I was thinking of buying a blazer

Bad idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post

... and wearing it with black dress pants and a light blue shirt and tie. 

Bad idea
post #10 of 16
That picture doesn't look very good. For one thing, pants are too close in color to the jacket.

As others have recommended, go with a navy jacket and mid-gray pants.
post #11 of 16

Navy and greys with a nice sh-rt and tie will almost certainly be more than adequate for a "business attire" event.

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post

I really appreciate your advice but I would say you are a bit over the top on the "Business Attire" definition. Dress has slid

Kudos for recognizing this, but you're ignoring some solid advice, which presumably is what you sought.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post


Kudos for recognizing this, but you're ignoring some solid advice, which presumably is what you sought.

I'm not ignoring. Was just doing a bit of off topic discussion. I am reading all this great advice and heeding it.

 

I am color blind (seriously) and tend to stick with black as a safe color. 

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post

I really appreciate your advice but I would say you are a bit over the top on the "Business Attire" definition. Dress has slid to the casual. My office and all the companies I deal with are either business casual or business. I rarely see suits outside of higher management. Tech has irrevocably changed dress in this country in all offices even outside of tech. 


But back on topic, I love ties and have many I don't often wear because I don't wear them without a jacket.  Most of the blazers I see are worn without one so I was just asking. I prefer to show off a tie. Why no black trousers though?  I was thinking of this or something similar, and most have black trousers. 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/FredM/blazer_zps4e41d2bc.jpg

Sure. There are places with more lax interpretations and a smaller number of people who follow the rules, but the most traditional definition still means suit and tie. I don't think you'll ever go wrong wearing a suit and tie to something that calls for business attire, while you could go wrong dressing below this level of formality. Since you mentioned that most people would be in a suit, I kind of assumed that a suit would be expected. I still say you should get a suit / wear a suit, but it is ultimately your call.

As for the jacket, it appears to be an orphaned suit jacket. Blazers and odd jackets (jackets not to be worn with matching trousers) tend to have various features (texture, pattern, patch pockets, buttons that don't match the coat, etc.) that differentiate them from suit jackets. As for the jacket itself, grey is not very versatile compared with navy. There's a strong preference on here for medium grey odd trousers instead of navy for a number of reasons (another can of worms, there are threads), so navy ends up being a smarter choice. I'd get a navy blazer (if you can't stand metal buttons, do something like brown horn, mother of pearl, etc.).

I am guessing they paired the jacket with black trousers in that photo because of a limited number of good options. Black trousers are pretty useless IMO; black is generally not recommended for daytime as it is a bit severe (blue and grey are much preferred), and is too formal a color to work well with an odd jacket / odd trousers ensemble in the evening, where black could be more appropriate. Cream linen or flannel trousers can look lovely with a navy blazer, but since you are going with a business attire look, medium grey would be far better.
post #15 of 16
Well, business attire happens to be a very specific term not leaving much for interpretation: Business suit, shirt, tie, dress shoes.

Blazer, dress trousers, shirt without a tie would be business casual.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Blazer for business attire?