• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can You Recommend A Cologne For The "Sophisticated" Man

Hey Man

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have just started getting serious about cologne and while I am not going to buy 10 different kinds like some do, I feel 2 or 3 are fine. However I am not remotely as educated about colognes as some people on the board are and would appreciate any recommedations.

I already have found a clean and fresh smelling cologne that I quite like, so now I am looking for that "sophisticated" cologne for the stylish gentleman if you know what I mean. I know it's a matter of testing different kinds and seeing what works, but I would appreciate a good starting point. I would also prefer a newer recommedation, as I don't want a cologne that EVERY guy has been wearing for the last 20 years.

I don't want anything that smells like motor oil, really fruity or really musky, but just something that is masculine, compliments a nice suit and will impress when going to a job interview, business meeting or on a date. But still works with jeans and a t-shirt. As I already have the clean and fresh smelling cologne - I am looking for something that is the opposite of say Acqua Di Gio.

I have not tried these, but I see them spoken about often. Has anyone tried them?

Dolce and Gabbana: D&G
Yves Saint Laurant: M7
Davidoff: Cool Water
Armani: Emporio Armani
Hugo Boss: Hugo

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried all of those, and I guess I'd say D&G is the most sophisticated, but its pretty heavily overused, and can be awful if oversprayed. M7 is my personal favorite in your list, but it is very avant-garde for most people's tastes. It has a very medicinal character to the topnotes, and then has a deep deep deeeeeep agarwood base. one of the most original men's frags in decades, but definatly not for everyone.

I'd suggest lurinking around community.Basenotes.net, as your question comes up pretty frequently over there.

Off the top of my head, however, I'd recommend you try:
YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme (smells like nonchalant well-groomed-ness. This is the best a man can possibly smell while still giving the impression he cares not at a ll about his scent),

Gucci Envy for Men (smells like a limousine)

or one of the Creeds, Green Irish Tweed or Himalaya are good starters.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Joel,

Thanks for responding. I have heard of YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, however never tried it - because people said it kinda smells like shaving cream. I have heard that Creed is quite good, but I heard the Silver Mountain Water is the best.

It's all trial and error I know and I will have to test a bunch, but I appreciate the ones you recommended. I just want something that exudes style, class, sophistication, confidence, masulinity and smells freakin' amazing in any circumstance. Tall order I know.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
Joel,

Thanks for responding. I have heard of YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, however never tried it - because people said it kinda smells like shaving cream. I have heard that Creed is quite good, but I heard the Silver Mountain Water is the best.

It's all trial and error I know and I will have to test a bunch, but I appreciate the ones you recommended.

It's all to-each-his-own ofc ourse, but Creed SMW has never appealed to me: too shortlived and too much like dishwater for the pricetag.

Rive Gauche does indeed smell like shaving cream, in a very good way IMO. Here's my review thereof from the Basenotes directory:

Aveda Hair Products... Gillette Shaving Foam... Brut...Old Spice: these oft-cited referents all place Rive Gauche in its niche as a classical kind of grooming smell, as being built upon a "retro chassis" often shorthanded as "barbershop" I think this is the brilliance of it. It's devil-may-care (it reminds me of the vogue for bedhead hairstyles and just-the-right-amount of stubble), which sets it apart from the rest of the YSLs, which are by and large audacious, idiosyncratic extranvanganzas (paradoxically, YSL's website calls RG "unconventional" Pah!). This is just no-nonsense manly, not in a bland or generic way, just kind of classic. much of the reason many men are embarassed by cologne is because were not supposed to seem "put-together" or "primped" or "preening" or any of those other things that women do for hours in front of full-length mirrors. Rive Gauche is the aesthete's answer to all that, encompassing that which is most sexy about that whole effortless, unmarked "conventional masculinity" and giving it an impeccable spit-shine sheen without seeming dandified or foppish. A masterpiece, the Levi's 501 of men's fragrance.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Joel,

I will check out Rive Gauche pour Homme and Creed Green Irish Tweed. I will let you know what I think. Your review of Rive Gauche seems to imply what I am looking for - like the cologne Robert De Niro or Tom Cruise might wear with their stylish grey suits in Heat/Collateral.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rive Gauche is a bit lighter and more powdery then what you're suggesting. If you want something very sophisticated, something along the lines of LA Timbuktu or Merchant Loup, or LV Vetiver or Piper Nigrum may fit the bill.

graphix

Reaction score
i haven't tried everything you listed, but i have green Irish tweed and for a 'sophisticated' scent the two i like most from what i have tried would be Vintage Toberome from Creed, or Chanel por Homme. GIT is a very manly spray more so than sophisticated, i love it though and it makes me constantly smell my wrists all day long cause its a very 'alive' scent. Toberome was a favorite of Winston Churchill and that alone gives you a feeling of empowerment when you wear it. The chanel is great, i bought it before i started getting into cologne and im still very happy with it, it has a very light touch of chocolate to it which for me really adds to its sophistication.

good luck
B

Rolo

Reaction score
Knize Ten is what I wear whenever I put on my tux.

It was released in the 1920s and is a leathery, tobaccoy scent with some significant floral/citrus notes. To my mind it's sort of an Errol Flynn meets Bauhaus scent.

I also like the Green Irish Tweed recommendation. To me this is a casual-sophisticated scent: Old library, tweed jacket kind of thing.

For some things that you might find at a decent department store in the "opposite of Acqua di Gio" front:

Bulgari Black - This is a weird one, but I love it. Vanilla and tires. It smells much better than it sounds.

Angel Men (Thierry Mugler) - This one is also unique. It reminds me of dessert. Chocolaty and spicy. I go hot & cold on this one, but it always seems to elicit a positive reaction from those around me.

Rolo

Reaction score
My avatar is insisting that I recommend Hi Karate. Wear it at your own risk.

Hey Man

Reaction score
It may be asking too much, but the best way to describe what I am looking for in a cologne - would be a scent that has been known to drive women crazy, but also conveys professionalism, style, class and sophistication when worn to business meetings and job interviews. Essentially the holy grail of cologne that fits perfectly with your expensive suit, shoes, shades and watch.

Like I said before, I know that cologne is something that you have to test on yourself to find the right one for you, but I assumed that like other things in fashion - there were a couple of colognes, where you just can't go wrong with wearing one of them. Like an Armani suit is considered top shelf for many when it comes to suits - what would be the equivalent in colognes?

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I love my M7, but Joel_Cairo is right, it isn't right for everybody. I'm lucky enough not to get the medicinal/harsh top notes once it's dry, but some people get nothing but that. It's really good once the deeper notes overpower the top notes, very spicy and warm.

Not sure as far as their "professionalism" or "sophistication", but I also like Dunhill Pure (summer) and Valentino por Homme (springish, more spicy though). One thing I like about them is I don't personally know a single person who wears them. There are a bit avant-garde, like the M7, but the aren't crazy "standoutish".

I recommend going to a mall or a department store or something and trying things out, because like the M7 some scents smell terrible on some people, and others smell outstanding. M7 smells great on me (so I've been told), but Gucci Envy smells terrible, even though they're related scents.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be asking too much, but the best way to describe what I am looking for in a cologne - would be a scent that has been known to drive women crazy, but also conveys professionalism, style, class and sophistication when worn to business meetings and job interviews. Essentially the holy grail of cologne that fits perfectly with your expensive suit, shoes, shades and watch.

Like I said before, I know that cologne is something that you have to test on yourself to find the right one for you, but I assumed that like other things in fashion - there were a couple of colognes, where you just can't go wrong with wearing one of them. Like an Armani suit is considered top shelf for many when it comes to suits - what would be the equivalent in colognes?

Not to be curt, but there really is no answer to this. MCsommereid prefers M7 to Envy, for me its the other way round. Drizzt (whose nose I highly respect) recommends Timbuktu, but to me its probably the worst of L'Artisan Parfumer's concotions. It's totally personal, so you'll have to test some out and see what works best for you.

Once Basenotes' forum is back online (there's an update goin down right now I believe), I highly recommend reading some threads over there for info; there's just as much knowledge going around there as on SF, just in a different arena. DO NOT, however, under any circumstances, start a thread asking for a frag "known to be a hit with the ladies" or ask for an objective "holy grail" unless you want to be flamed six ways to sunday.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Like an Armani suit is considered top shelf for many when it comes to suits - what would be the equivalent in colognes?

lurker[1].gif

Hey Man

Reaction score
Joel,

Flamed? On a cologne forum? Who would have thought. I understand completely what you are saying though. I have gone there to look at some reviews of the popular and more well known colognes - but there never seems to be a clear cut winner ala 9 out of 10 people love it like say an album review on Amazon of a popular band. The cologne reviews are pretty much love or hate.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flamed? On a cologne forum? Who would have thought.

it's just that Basenotes gets asked that question every day. And, as in any connoisseur enclave, there is a kind of distaste toward those who use cologne for blunt utilitarian purposes (i.e. "getting chicks") instead of appreciating the nuance of what is, when you get down to it, a pretty intricate artform. Its like going into Men's Clothing and asking "What's the best shoe?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads