or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Question about shoe fit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about shoe fit.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I don't wear oxford shoes often, so I'm looking for some help. I'd like to buy a pair of wingtip and cap toe shoes. Whenever I try a pair on that's my size, there's about 1/3rd of an inch or less of loose space at the toe. The fit seems good otherwise. I usually wear athletic shoes, and I realize that these shoes are different, but is it normal to have a little bit of free space in the front?

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameTaken View Post

I don't wear oxford shoes often, so I'm looking for some help. I'd like to buy a pair of wingtip and cap toe shoes. Whenever I try a pair on that's my size, there's about 1/3rd of an inch or less of loose space at the toe. The fit seems good otherwise. I usually wear athletic shoes, and I realize that these shoes are different, but is it normal to have a little bit of free space in the front?

Yes.  

 

Less than 1/3 of an inch sounds kind of little, actually.

post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post

Yes.

Less than 1/3 of an inch sounds kind of little, actually.

 

Is there a reason why this is done? Also, why is it considered little if there's less than 1/3" empty space? Wouldn't extra room be considered big?
post #4 of 6

Think for a bit. Are shoes shaped exactly like your foot?

Are they not always also longer(even trainers) than your foot?

Pointy shoe will necessarily have 'space' from the tip to your toe.

Perhaps you are not explaining the issue but the shoes do not sound too big.

post #5 of 6
a business/dress shoe is never made to fit a foot from heel to toe, it is made to fit your foot from heel to ball (at the base of your large toe). A formula (which usually produces a .3 to .5 inch space) is used to determine the minimum length of the shoe past that point, allowing the designer to define different toe shapes without worrying about shoe length.

If you look at a Brannock Device (the metal device shoe stores use to measure your feet) you will see a sliding device on the side that they should slide up next to the ball of your foot to get the actual size of the shoe you need.



The curvature of the footbed and the taper from the throat of the shoe to the toe also define fit, so your foot doesn't slide back and forth too much.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit50 View Post

Think for a bit. Are shoes shaped exactly like your foot?

Are they not always also longer(even trainers) than your foot?

Pointy shoe will necessarily have 'space' from the tip to your toe.

Perhaps you are not explaining the issue but the shoes do not sound too big.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post

a business/dress shoe is never made to fit a foot from heel to toe, it is made to fit your foot from heel to ball (at the base of your large toe). A formula (which usually produces a .3 to .5 inch space) is used to determine the minimum length of the shoe past that point, allowing the designer to define different toe shapes without worrying about shoe length.

If you look at a Brannock Device (the metal device shoe stores use to measure your feet) you will see a sliding device on the side that they should slide up next to the ball of your foot to get the actual size of the shoe you need.



The curvature of the footbed and the taper from the throat of the shoe to the toe also define fit, so your foot doesn't slide back and forth too much.

 

Thank you for clearing things up for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Question about shoe fit.