or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › A.P.C. The official thread for APC questions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A.P.C. The official thread for APC questions.

post #1 of 12686
Thread Starter 
Please post all A.P.C. sizing questions in this thread. Mauro, I think you owe me a pair (I'll take some 31's, thanks) just for saving you a massive headache.

First of all, the tighter the jeans, the more "whiskering" they will develop. This goes for *all* jeans. They will also be more likely to blow out at the crotch. However, A.P.C. jeans, although a relatively lightweight 12 ounces, are woven tight and wear like steel.

In my experience, if you want A.P.C. New Standards to fit "baggy", buy your true waist size. They will be slightly loose at the midhip (wear they are supposed to sit), and will stretch out about 2 inches in about 2 weeks to a waist size pretty much unwearable without a belt. The jeans will still have a "skinny" silhouette, (after all, they do taper down) but will be loose through the butt and thighs. I personally like this look, but am in the minority.

I you want a loose, but not baggy fit, size 1 size down from your true waist. This is different from your normal size in jeans, which are usually vanity sized...

For the traditional 501 skinny fit, size down 2 sizes.

For a tight fit, size 3 down. I do not recommend this, unless you want to decrease your sperm count.

A.P.C. Rescues are sized even larger in the waist, and have a more relaxed fit through the butt and thighs. Size down one more than above for the same fits.

I would not recommend the "Hipster" unless you like having uncomfortable nuts. I do not.
post #2 of 12686
What do you mean by "true waist size"? I keep hearing this term and I'm not sure where you guys are measuring. For example, I could wear a 31 if a pair of pants was ultra high, I usually take a 32 for regular rise suit pants, but I measure about 33+ where my jeans usually sit. Which one is my true waist?

BTW, I have a pair of 31 APC NSes, graciously provided by LA Guy and the crew here, and they fit slim but not uncomfortably, just right for me.
post #3 of 12686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
What do you mean by "true waist size"? I keep hearing this term and I'm not sure where you guys are measuring. For example, I could wear a 31 if a pair of pants was ultra high, I usually take a 32 for regular rise suit pants, but I measure about 33+ where my jeans usually sit. Which one is my true waist?

BTW, I have a pair of 31 APC NSes, graciously provided by LA Guy and the crew here, and they fit slim but not uncomfortably, just right for me.

Good point. I would say to measure at your midhip, about 2 inches below your navel.
post #4 of 12686
What's the front rise on A.P.C. Jeans?

I'm trying to move away from the low rise, (10 1/2" rise) and more
into to classic waist fit ( 11 1/2 - 12" rise)

Does A.P.C. offer any styles like this, and, do you know where they
are sold?


Thanks!
post #5 of 12686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyBoy
What's the front rise on A.P.C. Jeans?

I'm trying to move away from the low rise, (10 1/2" rise) and more
into to classic waist fit ( 11 1/2 - 12" rise)

Does A.P.C. offer any styles like this, and, do you know where they
are sold?


Thanks!

All the A.P.C. models are mid rise except for the hipster, and they can be bought either at www.apc.fr, or from their NYC, Paris, or Tokyo stores. There are also increasing numbers of stockists, including Barneys NY. However, Mauro, at the Denim Bar in Arlington, VA, is selling his present stock for $120, the old price - best deal for now, anyway. If you tell me where you are located, I could try to steer you to a local stockist so you could try them on.
post #6 of 12686
PreppyBoy, the APC Rescue is a traditional full rise jean -- the rise on the Rescues is about 12". Well, it's at least 11", for sure. I think it's closer to 12".
post #7 of 12686
I usually wear a 30, but I bought 28 for my new standards, and they're a little loose a year later, even though they were obscenely tight at the beginning. I tried on some 29s in that bleached gray color, and they were looser than my totally stretched out 28s! My advice is to try stuff on. Also, South Willard in LA carries A.P.C., rag&bone, among other forum favorites.
post #8 of 12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by minya
PreppyBoy, the APC Rescue is a traditional full rise jean -- the rise on the Rescues is about 12". Well, it's at least 11", for sure. I think it's closer to 12".


So I take it, it's 11 1/2

Thanks!


LA GUY

I'm in NYC. Are their any shops in NYC so, I can try on a pair.

Thanks Again!
post #9 of 12686
So I visited the APC in NYC yesterday and tried on New Standards. The salesman repeated much of the advice posted here (perhaps he reads the forum?) about the sizing. He told me the waists run big. I was looking for the fit LA Guy describes as "baggy" as I have other jeans that are skinny. His avice was right on. I thought I'd relate my experience, FWIW:

I usually wear a 34 waist in denim. So it was suggested I try the 32s or 33s. The 32s I could not button all the way. Plus, my thighs are a bit larger than average due to years of cycling, and it looked as though the jeans were painted on. Not good.

The 33s I could button up -- just barely -- but the jeans were still extremely tight in the hips and waist. I left the changing room and consulted with the salesman, who stated that is probably the pair I wanted to buy as they stretch A LOT. He recounted about how the first two or three weeks of wearing his were pretty painful.

I then tried the 34s which indeed achieved the desired look. The salesman warned me about stretching, but also said that if I carefully washed them from time-to-time, they'd shrink back without affecting the look of the denim.

Of course I had to wear them out last night to a club and I was complimented by quite a few people re: the fit of my jeans.

Preppy Boy -- the APC shop I visited is on Mercer St in Soho. Check it out...
post #10 of 12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan

Preppy Boy -- the APC shop I visited is on Mercer St in Soho. Check it out...


Thanks Dude!
post #11 of 12686
Quote:
but also said that if I carefully washed them from time-to-time, they'd shrink back without affecting the look of the denim.
Yep, just basically dip em in a bucket of cold water, leave them 5 minutes or so to make sure theyre completely soaked, then pull em out and hang em up. That will definitely shrink them back down and will agitate the denim minimally. Also, one of the store workers at APC is a member of this forum, so it might have been him.
post #12 of 12686
I wear 31 Sevens (bootcut, not relaxed) and 30 Paper Denim ICN models. What would be the right size for New Standards? I think I'm one of few people here who actually like their Seven jeans and I'd like to get a similar fit. So should I get 29 or 30? I'm fairly thin, including my thighs... 5'10 & around 145lbs. For reference, I wear euro size 46 for dress trousers from brands like Costume National and Margiela (sp?). Thanks!
post #13 of 12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by augie
I wear 31 Sevens (bootcut, not relaxed) and 30 Paper Denim ICN models. What would be the right size for New Standards? I think I'm one of few people here who actually like their Seven jeans and I'd like to get a similar fit. So should I get 29 or 30? I'm fairly thin, including my thighs... 5'10 & around 145lbs. For reference, I wear euro size 46 for dress trousers from brands like Costume National and Margiela (sp?).
Thanks!

Based off your PDC size, I'd say to go with a 29.
post #14 of 12686
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. But, does anyone have a recommendation for a cut similar to apc new standards? I love the way my new standards are cut and I'm looking for a new project. Something with similar thigh space to the NS, maybe with slightly more taper?
post #15 of 12686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. But, does anyone have a recommendation for a cut similar to apc new standards? I love the way my new standards are cut and I'm looking for a new project. Something with similar thigh space to the NS, maybe with slightly more taper?

Not really the right place, but whatever. Try the Nudie Slim Jim or Acne Max. Personally, I like Nudie a lot more than Acne, but that's a matter of personal preference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › A.P.C. The official thread for APC questions.