Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAPCtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- itemAPC New Standard Jeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- itemAPC Petit Standardtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- itemAPC Rescuetagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- APC, Schott, Engineered Garments, RRL Last post on 8/12/13 at 7:11pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- 6/7 Price Drop RRL Denim, Chinos, Chambrays / J.Crew Denim & Saturdays Surf / APC PS Last post on 7/5/11 at 10:23pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- sz 30 denims + ToJ varsity & moto Last post on 4/17/11 at 12:42pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 3/23 DROP▐ Santoni Boot▐ Orciani Bag▐ Nom de Guerre Jeans Last post on 3/28/11 at 3:13pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Last edited: 1/27/16
- Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash themLast edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 3/6/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. - Page 833post #12482 of 135822/5/14 at 9:42ampost #12483 of 135822/5/14 at 9:50ampost #12484 of 135822/5/14 at 11:13amNo rule it is all personal preference but most people wait 6 months. The starchiness of the jeans and the dirt and oil is what can lead to crotch blowout. Washing it helps take care of that.
Soaking is putting the jeans in a tub of water. Most people do warm to hot water to get rid of most of the shrinkage, mostly in the length as the jeans are sanforized. Washing is with detergent.post #12485 of 135822/5/14 at 11:53ampost #12486 of 135822/5/14 at 12:08pmI'm about to soak my NS for the first time after about 6 months of wear.
I want to avoid as much inseam shrinkage as possible and don't mine fading so I'll soak them in cold water, no woolite black.
I've also read stretching the inseam after soaking them can help reduce the shrinking.
Is this worth it? Do I need to just pull them a little while they're drying?post #12487 of 135822/6/14 at 7:00am
PNS front and back rise is more similar to the NS than the PS. It's closer to an aggressively tapered NS than the PS, though the back rise is a tiny bit lower / flatter than the NS.
The PNS is a true slim (very) tapered jean - it's not in my opinion a pair especially suited to guys with especially thick legs though - for that I'd recommend a NS ( and have it tapered to your measurements if you like a narrow hem )
If it helps with a relative size guide, I wear both NS in 28, and PNS in 29, alternating depending on which leg opening works better with the shoes/boots I'm wearing.post #12488 of 135822/6/14 at 8:15pmpost #12489 of 135822/6/14 at 10:57pmpost #12490 of 135822/6/14 at 11:45pmpost #12491 of 135822/7/14 at 12:25amQuote:
You need to rinse the jeans after washing them to get the soap out, but no additional soaking is needed.
Not sure what you mean by soaking preventing shrinking. It doesn't do that.
Short answer - wash them with a small amount of Woolite Black, rinse, and you're done.post #12492 of 135822/7/14 at 12:57ampost #12493 of 135822/7/14 at 6:49amQuote:Quote:
Soaking is preferable - they will shrink too, mostly in the leg, but you'll not lose so much dye and they'll stay dark and go back to your shape quickly.
Machine washing will shrink them, higher heat a bit more than cool, but it's really agitation / the spin that shrinks natural fabrics like cotton and wool. You'll also wash out more dye. Wool wash is all you'll need if you do machine wash your APC's.
In both cases they will stretch back out, with wear, to before wash size before too long.
To restore leg length stretch and pull at the legs/inseam whilst they're damp - you'll get most of the length back.
Do not tumble dry unless they're way too big for you to start with - heat + agitation is what shrinks natural fabrics the most.
These are actually pretty standard guides for washing all quality sanforised denim, especially if you like your jeans to stay darker and develop a more contrasted fade.
The only difference I see with APC is that people look to the brand for much tighter fits than they'd consider with most other brands. Crotch blowouts occur on all jeans over time - APC price point all the way up to £300+. This is partly due to the way traditionally made jeans are sewn at the crotch, partly because of downsizing, sagging or wearing the wrong cut / size for your physique ( a very common sight in APC forums ) and partly by not soaking / washing when filthy.post #12494 of 135822/7/14 at 7:33ampost #12495 of 135822/7/14 at 8:38amQuote:
I want to hem both pairs of my APC (indigo and black)...
Do most people that wear APC hem before really wearing? At 5'10", it's somewhat annoying walking around with huge cuffs in order to get any kind of fade before you can hem. But if you hem soon, you risk the denim shrinking too short after the first wash. I've had these for four months now, so I may as well wash/hem/wear...
- Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE NOVEMBER December 2nd CORDUROY 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 8 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 8 minutes ago
- › Can a Lambskin leather bomber jacket be altered?? 9 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 9 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...