Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAPCtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- itemAPC New Standard Jeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- itemAPC Petit Standardtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- itemAPC Rescuetagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
- categoryPants Shortstagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- APC, Schott, Engineered Garments, RRL Last post on 8/12/13 at 7:11pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- UNDERSTUDY - 3Sixteen, A.P.C., Arc'teryx Veilance, Barena, Engineered Garments and more -... Last post on 10/9/15 at 1:27pm in Streetwear and Denim
- 6/7 Price Drop RRL Denim, Chinos, Chambrays / J.Crew Denim & Saturdays Surf / APC PS Last post on 7/5/11 at 10:23pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- sz 30 denims + ToJ varsity & moto Last post on 4/17/11 at 12:42pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 3/23 DROP▐ Santoni Boot▐ Orciani Bag▐ Nom de Guerre Jeans Last post on 3/28/11 at 3:13pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Denim and Trousers
Last edited: 11/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. - Page 833
Styleforum Top Pickspost #12482 of 133392/5/14 at 9:42ampost #12483 of 133392/5/14 at 9:50ampost #12484 of 133392/5/14 at 11:13amNo rule it is all personal preference but most people wait 6 months. The starchiness of the jeans and the dirt and oil is what can lead to crotch blowout. Washing it helps take care of that.
Soaking is putting the jeans in a tub of water. Most people do warm to hot water to get rid of most of the shrinkage, mostly in the length as the jeans are sanforized. Washing is with detergent.post #12485 of 133392/5/14 at 11:53ampost #12486 of 133392/5/14 at 12:08pmI'm about to soak my NS for the first time after about 6 months of wear.
I want to avoid as much inseam shrinkage as possible and don't mine fading so I'll soak them in cold water, no woolite black.
I've also read stretching the inseam after soaking them can help reduce the shrinking.
Is this worth it? Do I need to just pull them a little while they're drying?post #12487 of 133392/6/14 at 7:00am
PNS front and back rise is more similar to the NS than the PS. It's closer to an aggressively tapered NS than the PS, though the back rise is a tiny bit lower / flatter than the NS.
The PNS is a true slim (very) tapered jean - it's not in my opinion a pair especially suited to guys with especially thick legs though - for that I'd recommend a NS ( and have it tapered to your measurements if you like a narrow hem )
If it helps with a relative size guide, I wear both NS in 28, and PNS in 29, alternating depending on which leg opening works better with the shoes/boots I'm wearing.post #12488 of 133392/6/14 at 8:15pmpost #12489 of 133392/6/14 at 10:57pmpost #12490 of 133392/6/14 at 11:45pmpost #12491 of 133392/7/14 at 12:25amQuote:
You need to rinse the jeans after washing them to get the soap out, but no additional soaking is needed.
Not sure what you mean by soaking preventing shrinking. It doesn't do that.
Short answer - wash them with a small amount of Woolite Black, rinse, and you're done.post #12492 of 133392/7/14 at 12:57ampost #12493 of 133392/7/14 at 6:49amQuote:Quote:
Soaking is preferable - they will shrink too, mostly in the leg, but you'll not lose so much dye and they'll stay dark and go back to your shape quickly.
Machine washing will shrink them, higher heat a bit more than cool, but it's really agitation / the spin that shrinks natural fabrics like cotton and wool. You'll also wash out more dye. Wool wash is all you'll need if you do machine wash your APC's.
In both cases they will stretch back out, with wear, to before wash size before too long.
To restore leg length stretch and pull at the legs/inseam whilst they're damp - you'll get most of the length back.
Do not tumble dry unless they're way too big for you to start with - heat + agitation is what shrinks natural fabrics the most.
These are actually pretty standard guides for washing all quality sanforised denim, especially if you like your jeans to stay darker and develop a more contrasted fade.
The only difference I see with APC is that people look to the brand for much tighter fits than they'd consider with most other brands. Crotch blowouts occur on all jeans over time - APC price point all the way up to £300+. This is partly due to the way traditionally made jeans are sewn at the crotch, partly because of downsizing, sagging or wearing the wrong cut / size for your physique ( a very common sight in APC forums ) and partly by not soaking / washing when filthy.post #12494 of 133392/7/14 at 7:33ampost #12495 of 133392/7/14 at 8:38amQuote:
I want to hem both pairs of my APC (indigo and black)...
Do most people that wear APC hem before really wearing? At 5'10", it's somewhat annoying walking around with huge cuffs in order to get any kind of fade before you can hem. But if you hem soon, you risk the denim shrinking too short after the first wash. I've had these for four months now, so I may as well wash/hem/wear...
- A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 9 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Garment bag suggestions 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 5 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 5 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Indy boots 403 6 minutes ago
- › Atlanta Tailors 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories