or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need a little help with choosing replacement buttons for a blazer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a little help with choosing replacement buttons for a blazer. - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Thread Starter 
I agree with that.

But regarding the top right ones, you don't think that having lived in the City qualifies?

Regarding the top left, as they were dissolved over 150 years ago I don't think many can have much of a connection to them. Would you still feel awkward wearing those, considering the coat of arms represents something that is purely a historical event now?
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post

Yes, I've often been accused of attempting to impersonate the Queens of various countries. I take it you're speaking of the first one though, the one with the lion and stallion etc. Or do you mean the Britannia one with the crown and anchor?

Yes the East India Company was ended in 1858, which I take it is the reason for the "1858" being on the button right below the symbol. And I agree on the color, shiny enough to be visibly metal, without being particularly ostentatious.

Yes I meant the first one. Don't know about the crown and anchor one. If you could find one the colour of the EIC one, but with just a simple pattern, that would be ideal. If you do find one like that let me know!
post #18 of 35
Thread Starter 
Well, there are these:



I think I'd prefer something with some detailing on it myself though. So I'm anxious to hear how people feel about the east india company buttons, and whether or not it's strange to wear it without having a connection to the east india company (obviously), or if it's fine as it's pretty much a piece of world history that has existed only in history books for 150+ years.
post #19 of 35
Thanks. I like the top one.

Are you likely to be wearing the blazer in the company of anyone who cares about your buttons? Would you care if they care?

We in England have lingering anxiousness about this sort of thing (like striped ties), but perhaps that's not the case where you are.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

We in England have lingering anxiousness about this sort of thing (like striped ties), but perhaps that's not the case where you are.

 

Personally I had no clue that the English were careful about striped ties. I never knew that regimental ties were a thing. I kinda get it. I once saw a line of clothing that was sold in KMart or something that featured real U.S. Army patches. Felt kind of insulting to see people who hadn't earned them wearing them. Silly, I know. But like I said, I kinda get it.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Personally I had no clue that the English were careful about striped ties. I never knew that regimental ties were a thing. I kinda get it. I once saw a line of clothing that was sold in KMart or something that featured real U.S. Army patches. Felt kind of insulting to see people who hadn't earned them wearing them. Silly, I know. But like I said, I kinda get it.
I


Whilst the British doe still tend to avoid wearing the ties/insignia of regiments with which they were not associated, many if not all Americans have no such compunction and wear anything they fancy. However marvel at double standards because Americans would never wear the ties or other insignia of the Marines or any other American unit if they had not served in them.

Similarly tartans, the Scottish will always wear the tartan of their clan and no other (as will generally other Britons) but Americans wear whichever they fancy rather than following even a loose connection and being restricted in their choice.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


Personally I had no clue that the English were careful about striped ties. I never knew that regimental ties were a thing. I kinda get it. I once saw a line of clothing that was sold in KMart or something that featured real U.S. Army patches. Felt kind of insulting to see people who hadn't earned them wearing them. Silly, I know. But like I said, I kinda get it.

Funny thing is, I wouldn't even wear the one or two striped ties that I'm entitled to, because the fact of just wearing one at all carries all sorts of class connotations that it's easier just to avoid. I don't hold it against those that choose to though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post


Whilst the British doe still tend to avoid wearing the ties/insignia of regiments with which they were not associated, many if not all Americans have no such compunction and wear anything they fancy. However marvel at double standards because Americans would never wear the ties or other insignia of the Marines or any other American unit if they had not served in them.

Similarly tartans, the Scottish will always wear the tartan of their clan and no other (as will generally other Britons) but Americans wear whichever they fancy rather than following even a loose connection and being restricted in their choice.

There are certain "open" tartans that anyone is officially allowed to wear (should they not have their own), like Blackwatch. I have also read on the internet (so it must be true) that Glen check was invented so that English gentleman who had no clan affiliation could have something suitable to wear when visiting Scotland for shooting, fishing and the like.
post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 
I don't think that people who see me with this blazer will really think all that much about it, nor do I know if I'd care if they did.

Where I am we don't tend to have club ties or anything like that, so I don't think anyone would think about even a striped tie as something signifying anything.
However, I am about as paranoid as an Englishman about this kind of thing, so I never wear ties or braces connected to anything I'm not part of, and would never dream of wearing buttons connected to a school/regiment/club I'm not affiliated with in general.

That being said though, my reluctance to wear these things has to do with respecting the club's right to have their own thing and not wishing to look like an imposter. With regards to the East India Company, they don't exist any more, nor have they existed for over 150 years, so there are no east india company men who's toes I'd be stepping on, nor is there any chance of anyone believing I'm trying to impersonate an East India Company man. So to me it seems that East India Company must be as "open" as glencheck or apparently the Blackwatch (which I did not know was open to anyone to wear, is that just tartans or is it everything connected?). To me it's just a funny curiosity to have buttons related to EIC, and of course it may express my love of trade and commerce as well...

Does that sound like a sensible justification, or would you still consider it a little peculiar?
post #24 of 35
Sorry I assumed you were american - I think it was jack nicholson that did it.

Well I think I would go for plainer ones myself (only in part because of the paranoia). But as you say the east india company is long gone and I think it's perfectly reasonable to get them just because you like the look of them. There remains the risk that the odd person mistakenly assumes you're wearing something you're not entitled to, but hey it's pretty small. All just my opinion of course, I'm no expert.

Maybe there is an untapped market for ornate-but-obviously-unaffiliated blazer buttons here? I feel a trip to dragon's den coming on.

I went to a wedding in scotland where the groom (a scot) asked all his friends (including me, even though I'm pretty thoroughly english) to wear kilts so that he wasn't the only one. The business of renting the gear is how I learnt about open tartans. Maybe it was invented by the kilt rental industry to boost revenue. I did end up buying a blackwatch tie because i thought it looked good, which is no different from the EIC buttons I suppose.
post #25 of 35

Personally I wouldn't look at the blazer in isolation, I'd look at what you are going to pair it with and the overall cut of the garment. I once wore a navy blazer with white buttons to match the white chinos I wore, maybe with a pale blue shirt and desert boots or oxblood shoes and I'd often stuff a blue pocket square with white polka dots in the pocket. I realise this might not be everyone's cup of tea but it suited me.

post #26 of 35
Thread Starter 
No worries, I've been accused of worse things than being american.

Regarding insignias, how would they know I'm not entitled to it though? My fear has been running into someone who was entitled to wear something I'm wearing whereas I myself am not, and an embarrassing conversation ensuing where I have to explain that I'm wearing his university buttons/tie/whatever despite not having been there myself simply because I thought it was pretty. With this though, I wouldn't run into anyone who was entitled to wear it, and presumably I'd never encounter anyone who knew what it was unless they asked me. And if they did ask me, I'd simply say that the EIC is long gone but I thought it was fun to wear them because of the history of it etc.

Honestly though, at this point I'm starting to second guess myself on silver in the first place. I feel I probably like silver better, but on the other hand this is my first blazer, so I'm thinking maybe I should just go for the most classic option.

Started to eye these babies. And those make perfect sense for me to wear, as I'm a hunter.


Gaahh... present me with too many choices and I'll bee in a mental instution within the week. (I wonder if mental institutions have club buttons for their alumni)
post #27 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mulberry View Post

Personally I wouldn't look at the blazer in isolation, I'd look at what you are going to pair it with and the overall cut of the garment. I once wore a navy blazer with white buttons to match the white chinos I wore, maybe with a pale blue shirt and desert boots or oxblood shoes and I'd often stuff a blue pocket square with white polka dots in the pocket. I realise this might not be everyone's cup of tea but it suited me.

I'm thinking I'll be going pretty traditional with it. Occasionally white shirt and jeans, but mostly black shoes, odd trousers (probably often gray and occasionally red etc), pale blue/pink/white or bengal striped shirts and various ties. I tend to favor rather classical colors, going more for sophistication than playfulness.

The blazer itself is single breasted, and in my opinion of a pretty athletic cut. The color is extremely dark, almost midnight blue.

Oh, and I always wear french/double cuffs, and for the most part I wear silver/steel cufflinks. My watch is polished steel with a silver face.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silverfox View Post

No worries, I've been accused of worse things than being american.

Regarding insignias, how would they know I'm not entitled to it though? My fear has been running into someone who was entitled to wear something I'm wearing whereas I myself am not, and an embarrassing conversation ensuing where I have to explain that I'm wearing his university buttons/tie/whatever despite not having been there myself simply because I thought it was pretty. With this though, I wouldn't run into anyone who was entitled to wear it, and presumably I'd never encounter anyone who knew what it was unless they asked me. And if they did ask me, I'd simply say that the EIC is long gone but I thought it was fun to wear them because of the history of it etc.

Honestly though, at this point I'm starting to second guess myself on silver in the first place. I feel I probably like silver better, but on the other hand this is my first blazer, so I'm thinking maybe I should just go for the most classic option.

Yes true, they wouldn't know, I was just being paranoid.
Quote:
Started to eye these babies. And those make perfect sense for me to wear, as I'm a hunter. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

If those hunting buttons were in the darker finish, I'd buy them and I don't even need them.
Quote:
Gaahh... present me with too many choices and I'll bee in a mental instution within the week. (I wonder if mental institutions have club buttons for their alumni)

happy.gif this is clearly the answer.
post #29 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by E,TF View Post

happy.gif this is clearly the answer.

Apparently, mental institutions do have club buttons, and this is what they look like.


Though apparently you don't attach the buttons onto the blazer, but rather put them on your head to be worn as an accessory with the blazer.


By the way, how close is this to the white ivory buttons that someone mentioned? I wasn't feeling it before, but this looks rather nice.
post #30 of 35
Again, just go with your gut. Don't agonize too much. You're gonna love what you put on it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Need a little help with choosing replacement buttons for a blazer.