• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tried 5EP, just didn't seem worth the money (retail)

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I made it to a store with 5EP denim. They no longer make the resin, which was what I was hoping to find. I tried on both the straight and LDB in their new one-wash, and thought that they'd make great $175 jeans, but at $295, they just didn't seem $100 better than any other pair of jeans I own. The denim was really nice, but the fits were only so-so on me. The straight was a bit loose in the seat, and way too high a rise. Even the boot was a bit high, and I just felt that the fit on my RRDS was at least as good. If you are super denim headed, I can see the appeal, but for us style/trend/quality conscious (but not entirely obsessed) normal guys, nothing about it is perfect enough to justify the price at retail. Ok, my $0.02, now everyone feel free to tell me why I'm wrong
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
So yesterday I made it to a store with 5EP denim. They no longer make the resin, which was what I was hoping to find. I tried on both the straight and LDB in their new one-wash, and thought that they'd make great $175 jeans, but at $295, they just didn't seem $100 better than any other pair of jeans I own. The denim was really nice, but the fits were only so-so on me. The straight was a bit loose in the seat, and way too high a rise. Even the boot was a bit high, and I just felt that the fit on my RRDS was at least as good. If you are super denim headed, I can see the appeal, but for us style/trend/quality conscious (but not entirely obsessed) normal guys, nothing about it is perfect enough to justify the price at retail. Ok, my $0.02, now everyone feel free to tell me why I'm wrong
smile.gif

I've never seen the one-wash 5EPs (non-resin) so I'd be interested to hear what the denim was like. As far as fits go, much of it depends on your body type. In smaller sizes the 5EPs have a bit higher rise than Nudie and some other jeans. I happen to think fit/finish on the jeans are impeccable and they fit me better than other jeans I own, because they have ample room in the top block and are slim through the legs. Apparently other people enjoy that type of fit as well, but if you want it to be fitted through the top block and more relaxed through the legs then Nudie will fit better. Lately I've been wearing my pair of Dark Worn a lot, and I love the quality and feel of the denim, even if it doesn't have the amazing indigo character of the rigid. I think I've paid an average of about $130 for the five pairs of 5EPs I've owned, though. I'm not sure I'd be inclined to pay $300 either for the regular pair. $250 or whatever the SF pair will cost sounds nice since it seems to be exactly what I want in a pair of jeans, though.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Apparently other people enjoy that type of fit as well, but if you want it to be fitted through the top block and more relaxed through the legs then Nudie will fit better.

Yea, thick legs and a skinny waist means that they aren't the greatest fit on me. Not bad, but they didn't fit any better than anything else I own.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Yea, thick legs and a skinny waist means that they aren't the greatest fit on me. Not bad, but they didn't fit any better than anything else I own.

That's sort of strange because ideally that should be the best fit for 5EP, unless you're referring to the calve area being overly tight. They are generally slimmer below the knee but a bit more relaxed through the thighs and seat. Did you try multiple sizes?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, I have a pair of 5EP one wash and the waist is really high. Nothing to complain about the quality, but I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy the jeans. So, if anybody is looking for a new pair of 5EP one wash in size 30, let me know.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the looser fit and higher rise.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I agree, I have a pair of 5EP one wash and the waist is really high. Nothing to complain about the quality, but I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy the jeans. So, if anybody is looking for a new pair of 5EP one wash in size 30, let me know.

You're referring to the straight zip, right?

I think the rise on my LDB rigid is 10.75" Is that considered high these days?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, sounds like it is the SDR. I have come to get used to and actually rather like mine after wearing them for a while, and I initially had the same reservations as Darknworn...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't have them with me, but I think they're the straight zip. The rise measures 11.5".
eek.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yeah, I don't have them with me, but I think they're the straight zip. The rise measures 11.5".
eek.gif

Yeah I believe the straight zip are 501 inspired meaning they have a high rise and relaxed seat with fitted legs. I'm more fond of the LDB which seems to be a bit more modern cut. I sold my straight zips for the same reason.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Love the looser fit and higher rise.

Agreed.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
The loose fit and high rise are definitely good traits. I hated it the first time I wore my Straight Down Resin's, but now I love how they make the jeans actually surprisingly comfortable, and dare I say it, more masculine. Trying to wiggle my way back into my skinny, low rise ES Hutch feels positively weird now. Granted, I didn't pay $300 for them either, but with all the deadstock sales and etc you don't ever really have to pay full retail for them. Oh, and for kicks: True Religion retails at $250. If I had the money, I'd definitely pay the extra $50 for the quality leap.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fit is a subjective measure. A bad fit for one person is a good fit for someone else. Perhaps it means that you wouldn't buy them for yourself, but "bad fit" says nothing about the quality of the denim, trims, and construction. 5EP is far superior to Nudie (I have multiple pairs of both) in these areas. I really like the fit of my Nudies, but they really aren't in the same league as 5EP by any objective criterion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads