or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 49

post #721 of 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Why do people leave one area because they don't like it and then turn wherever they move into a lite version of the same place?

Because they think it's other people that were the problem with the old place.
post #722 of 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Why do people leave one area because they don't like it and then turn wherever they move into a lite version of the same place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Because they think it's other people that were the problem with the old place.

This sums up about 98% of the history of the world.
post #723 of 6093
That very much reminds me of islamic immigrants.
post #724 of 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I feel a lot better knowing the university is investigating that cop to see if he had any racial motivations there. But I won't know for sure what to think until Obama chimes in.

The comments on the Huffington Post article sounded like a gang of cops had ripped this lady out of her car at a stop light and raped her. Every time I have been approached by a cop for doing something wrong, they asked me for my ID. Shocking. I bet if I had refused to show it to them and then acted like a belligerent asshole from there on out, things wouldn't have worked out so well for me.
post #725 of 6093
97% of critical race theorists agree it was racist. Do you even have anything but a superficial understanding of critical race theory--how can you have an informed opinion? We should defer to their expertise.
post #726 of 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

97% of critical race theorists agree it was racist. Do you even have anything but a superficial understanding of critical race theory--how can you have an informed opinion? We should defer to their expertise.

Impossible. Anyone claiming to be a "critical race theorist" believes that everything is racist based on the hierarchy of colors, genders, and cisLGBTTranscisgenQueerMSNBC.

So let's say 12 teapot percent (math and numbers are tools of the oppressor)
post #727 of 6093
This happened to me about 6 weeks ago. I didn't want to post it right away because I was testing the legal waters and getting a feel for what my options were.

My fiancé was in Chicago for the weekend so I had the house to myself. I fell asleep watching TV in the family room. There was a knock at our front door around 4am. I had woken up maybe 30 minutes earlier and decided to have a snack, so I was still awake when I heard the knock. When I'm home alone and plan on sleeping downstairs, I take my firearm out of the nightstand and bring it down with me, so it was the first thing I grabbed when I heard the knock. At this point I'm standing between the kitchen and the family room with a direct line of sight to the front door. I've removed the gun from the holster and it's down at my side. After the knock there was no noise for 60 seconds or so, and then someone started yelling and claimed to be the police department. My first reaction was that the police were not at the door, and someone was either playing a joke, or worse. Why the hell would the police be at my door in the middle of the night, and why didn't they identify themselves as soon as they knocked? I approached the door slowly and looked out the peephole, but I couldn't see anyone even though the driveway and porch lights were on. I went upstairs and called 911. The operator told me that it was the police, and they were responding to a call about gunshots in the area. This rings a bell because I did remember hearing 3 "pops" way off in the distance, but they sounded like fireworks and they definitely weren't in our neighborhood. There is a 500 acre preserve near our house, so it's possible they came from that area.

So the operator is talking to the officers on the scene, and talking to me at the same time. I ask her if I should go to the door - she debates it with them and then tells me yes. I leave my firearm upstairs and head down toward the door, still on the phone with the operator. She tells me to make sure they can see my hands when I come out. At this point I'm beyond confused. I slowly open the front door and stick both of my hands out before revealing any of my body (the phone was wedged between shoulder and ear). When I stepped out on the porch there were multiple officers with their guns drawn and pointed at me. I was handcuffed at gunpoint and placed on the ground. A dialogue starts and I quickly find out that before they even knocked on my front door, they had jumped our fence in the backyard and were looking in through the rear sliding glass door. Because they saw a light on in our house, this somehow gave them enough reasonable suspicion to become peeping toms. In other words, they could see me when I was standing in the family room with the gun.

I tell them I did hear some pops in the distance but couldn't tell if they were fireworks or gunshots, but they certainly didn't come from our neighborhood. They ask me why I had a gun, as if it's unusual to retrieve a gun when someone knocks on your door at 4am and doesn't say a word. I explain, and at this point several officers look like they were going to enter the house, so I told them that they did not have my permission to enter our home. I said it rather sternly and made it clear by saying it twice. They didn't seem to care and proceeded to do a "sweep" of our home. They didn't search through anything, but they entered every single room, apparently checking to see if anyone had been shot. Two officers stayed outside with me, and one of them said something like "I don't care if you have 10lbs of blow in there, we aren't looking for drugs. We just need to make sure nobody has been shot." After they're done they uncuff me and ask if they can swab my hand for gun powder. I told them I had no problem with that, but they didn't follow through.

There have been a few auto "break-ins" in the area (a couple of high school kids taking small bills from an unlocked car), and while that concerns me - having guns pointed at my head, my house searched, and sitting in my driveway in handcuffs for all of my neighbors to see concerns me far more than minor theft. The following Monday the first thing I did was get the police report, audio recordings of the 911 calls, and audio recordings of the radio traffic between dispatch and the officers on the scene. I talked to a couple lawyers and a family friend that's a judge. The opinions varied a bit, but the judge had the strongest opinion and said that it was unquestionably an illegal search of our home. Whatever the case may be, I felt like the officers' actions meant that the 2nd Amendment and the 4th Amendment were mutually exclusive. Oh well. I reconciled it with the department politely over the phone - mostly because I wanted to make sure they actually believed me. They did, and I've put it behind me although it royally pissed me off at the time.
post #728 of 6093
They didn't care about drugs nor did they care about your legal rights.

Well, at least you're all right.
post #729 of 6093
Suited, hindsight is 20/20 but you did everything correctly from my vantage point on the leather recliner. I can see the other side of the situation as well. A kid was killed and eaten by Jeffrey Dahmer after the cops knocked on the door to check things out, then left.
post #730 of 6093
They would have definitely cared about drugs if they found them. Everything a cop tells you is a lie to get you to give up your rights. Full stop.
post #731 of 6093
You don't actually have to answer the door when the cops knock. Once you told the operator you knew nothing about the "gunshots," they had no reason to talk to you anyway (except to investigate you). You should have told them to fuck off at that point.
post #732 of 6093
Ha! Yes, please try that.
post #733 of 6093
Okay, tell the operator politely that you don't want to talk to them and that you're going back to sleep.

Cops might go through an open door but kicking one in is a whole 'nother matter. They would have just left.
post #734 of 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Suited, hindsight is 20/20 but you did everything correctly from my vantage point on the leather recliner. I can see the other side of the situation as well. A kid was killed and eaten by Jeffrey Dahmer after the cops knocked on the door to check things out, then left.

I didn't get to hear much of their side through the voice recordings. They kept the radio chat to a minimum. After emailing the chief's office, the Major called me on his behalf and spoke with me (he was not on the scene). He explained their side of the story and asked me what I would have done differently. I made sure to do it without sounding like a dick, but I told him that I wouldn't have climbed the fence to look inside the house simply because there was a light on. Thus, the entire situation would have been avoided. I also said that if the officers outside knew I had a gun, they should have told the 911 operator this, and then I could have told her that I was going to be unarmed when I came out - and she would have relayed that to them. He was nice about the whole thing and asked me how the officers behaved in general. I told him that the officers were professional, which they were, and we chatted about guns/laws for a little while before ending the call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

They would have definitely cared about drugs if they found them. Everything a cop tells you is a lie to get you to give up your rights. Full stop.

I had a stuffed bowl piece on my bathroom sink, but i don't think they saw it. It was sitting around some other clutter. I only toke maybe once a month, if that, and of course it happened to be sitting out in plain sight that night. The guys who went inside were in plain clothes with vests and carrying .223s. But yea, I get your point and have unfortunately seen it first hand. I've had minor run-ins way in the past where cops actually fabricated things out of thin air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

You don't actually have to answer the door when the cops knock. Once you told the operator you knew nothing about the "gunshots," they had no reason to talk to you anyway (except to investigate you). You should have told them to fuck off at that point.

I thought about this over the following days. They might have believed me and just left, or half the force could have been at my front door in 20 minutes. I would have also been on their shit list and possibly suspected of a crime.
post #735 of 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I thought about this over the following days. They might have believed me and just left, or half the force could have been at my front door in 20 minutes. I would have also been on their shit list and possibly suspected of a crime.

Trust me; you're on their shit list due to raising the small amount of ruckus you already have. Cops do not like having their actions questions by civilians to their superiors. Drive carefully.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?