or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 331

post #4951 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Looks like Harvey might have nailed this one.

I'm guessing you only read the summaries posted here. News reports say that the cop who was suspended for giving unspecified inconsistent statements to investigators was also recorded during the incident saying that the autistic guy had a gun (and that the cops apparently blame him and not the cop who fired):
Quote:
Sources said the commander, Hollant, went on the radio saying the man with autism was loading a weapon, which was the reason why Officer Aledda fired.

Unidentified female officer: “He has something in his hands. All units be cautioned he has something in his hands.”

Unidentified female officer: “Verify that it looks like he is loading up his gun?”

Commander Hollant: “He is loading up his weapon.”

However, minutes later, someone said over the radio that the weapon was actually a toy.

Unidentified male officer: “The person advised that it is a toy. It is a toy car.”

According to 7News sources, there are a lot of angry police officers in Miami, Friday, because they believe Officer Aledda is being wrongly punished. These police officers believe the shooting is the fault of Commander Hollant who wrongly said the man with autism was loading a gun.
post #4952 of 6095
Great, so a high ranking cop thinks an autistic man with a toy truck is loading a gun.

I love how all the excuses in this case just dig the hole deeper.
post #4953 of 6095
Yeah, someone calls 911 saying that, plus at least three cops thought the same thing all at once. Clearly it's impossible they could have actually thought it was a gun because, as you say, it wasn't.

They don't call it systemic racism for nothing, eh?
post #4954 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Yeah, someone calls 911 saying that, plus at least three cops thought the same thing all at once. Clearly it's impossible they could have actually thought it was a gun because, as you say, it wasn't.

They don't call it systemic racism for nothing, eh?

Seriously, when standing in a hole, stop digging.
post #4955 of 6095
Do we need police issue opera glasses now?
post #4956 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Yeah, someone calls 911 saying that, plus at least three cops thought the same thing all at once. Clearly it's impossible they could have actually thought it was a gun because, as you say, it wasn't.

They don't call it systemic racism for nothing, eh?

So...what's the excuse for shooting and then handcuffing the wrong guy again? And uh...not handcuffing (or even disarming) the guy they supposedly thought had a gun?
post #4957 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Yeah, someone calls 911 saying that, plus at least three cops thought the same thing all at once. Clearly it's impossible they could have actually thought it was a gun because, as you say, it wasn't.

They don't call it systemic racism for nothing, eh?

This might be an excuse if they shot the autistic guy. They didn't. They shot the guy who wasn't a threat. And then arrested him. And didn't call an ambulance for 20 min

Also, if the therapist clarifies that it is a toy, how can you use that excuse?
post #4958 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Also, if the therapist clarifies that it is a toy, how can you use that excuse?

The guy who got shot was saying he wasn't being threatened, so the cops shot him to protect him from the guy he said he wasn't being threatened by.
post #4959 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

So...what's the excuse for shooting and then handcuffing the wrong guy again? And uh...not handcuffing (or even disarming) the guy they supposedly thought had a gun?

As far as shooting him, it's easy to see how lying there as he was he could have been hit in the leg accidentally. And did you even watch the video? Because the little bit we have shows a cop very actively searching the autistic guy.

Also the news station that broke the story seems to have edited the video to remove the autistic guy's yelling "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up you idiot!" and other things I can't make out at the guy who ended up catching the bullet. But that's par for the course these days, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBsHWMb9SY
post #4960 of 6095
So the cops have no other tools to de escalate a situation without shooting?
post #4961 of 6095
Like a patriot missile battery to knock bullets out of the air?
post #4962 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

As far as shooting him, it's easy to see how lying there as he was he could have been hit in the leg accidentally. And did you even watch the video? Because the little bit we have shows a cop very actively searching the autistic guy.

Also the news station that broke the story seems to have edited the video to remove the autistic guy's yelling "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up you idiot!" and other things I can't make out at the guy who ended up catching the bullet. But that's par for the course these days, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBsHWMb9SY

I'm with you on the policy of shooting people we have reason to believe might be idiots who won't shut up on sight. Also people who call other people idiots, even when doing so creates a risk of accidentally shooting other people, because calling someone an idiot and telling them to shut up isn't nice. Especially if you're fat.
post #4963 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I'm with you on the policy of shooting people we have reason to believe might be idiots who won't shut up on sight. Also people who call other people idiots, even when doing so creates a risk of accidentally shooting other people, because calling someone an idiot and telling them to shut up isn't nice. Especially if you're fat.

He sounds aggressive and angry. Like someone who might shoot somebody. It's an important part of the situation that was deliberately withheld to make the story more outrageous. And you guys bought it [again].
post #4964 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

He sounds aggressive and angry. Like someone who might shoot somebody. It's an important part of the situation that was deliberately withheld to make the story more outrageous. And you guys bought it [again].

Yeah, people who sound aggressive and angry end up shooting somebody 98.7% of the time.

I can't speak for anybody else, but whether or not the autistic kid was yelling doesn't particularly persuade me either way. The only person "buying" something is you buying that it makes sense for the cops to say they thought the autistic kid was armed and dangerous and the therapist was a victim, yet cuffed and arrested the victim-therapist rather than calling an ambulance for him.


Or is that not "an important part of the situation"?
post #4965 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Like a patriot missile battery to knock bullets out of the air?

What bullets?

Oh, you mean to knock the ones he mistakenly shot out of the air. Got it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?