or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 295

post #4411 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Why didn't you bold the part where he says "I have reason to pull it over"?

Maybe because he's not disingenuous?
post #4412 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

No one's talking about unjust harassment or arrests of blacks. More importantly, the more black people they confront, the more disproportionate the # of killings becomes, as in how few.
Maybe this is a context thing, but: huh? "No one" in what broader group? Lots of people talk about unjust harassment or black folks -- including in this particular thread.
post #4413 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


Why?

Not saying you are wrong, just wondering why you think so.


My guess is reform critics in other cities will point to this incident and say that it doesn't change anything or it puts more people (and cops) at risk.

Here's an article that showed up before the shootings, questioning the softening of Chicago policing and blaming it for the increase in crime:
 

http://www.city-journal.org/html/chicago-brink-14605.html

post #4414 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Why didn't you bold the part where he says "I have reason to pull it over"?

That statement has as much value as "stop resisting."
post #4415 of 6066
So is there anyone out there denying that he had a broken tail light? Any reason to think he didn't? Or are you just speculating?
post #4416 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

So is there anyone out there denying that he had a broken tail light? Any reason to think he didn't? Or are you just speculating?

Do you think I'd get pulled over for a broken tail light?

Btw, the cop verbalized his goal was do infringe on someone's constitutional rights:
Quote:
I’m going to check IDs

By what authority did he think he was able to check the ID of anyone but the driver? Is being a passenger in a car with a broken taillight PC now?
post #4417 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


Maybe this is a context thing, but: huh? "No one" in what broader group? Lots of people talk about unjust harassment or black folks -- including in this particular thread.

 

No one in that article.

post #4418 of 6066

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARE 11 View Post
“I’m going to stop a car,” the officer tells dispatchers on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”

“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the officer says. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer continues.
 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil  View Post

Looks like Castile was pulled over for DWB, not a broken tail light as previously stated.

 

 

Looks like he was pulled over for DWWN (Driving With Wide Nose)
post #4419 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

So is there anyone out there denying that he had a broken tail light? Any reason to think he didn't? Or are you just speculating?

Well, we can understand why the portion of the cop's call-in where he noted the broken tail light was bolded. Because it doesn't exist.
Good thinking by the cop by not committing himself necessarily to a particular justification at that point.
post #4420 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

So is there anyone out there denying that he had a broken tail light? Any reason to think he didn't? Or are you just speculating?

 

 

Ataturk gonna 'turk

post #4421 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Do you think I'd get pulled over for a broken tail light?

There is nothing improper about cops exercising their discretion to enforce minor traffic offenses against people they suspect of other crimes. There was a SCOTUS case on this that was unanimous.
Quote:
Btw, the cop verbalized his goal was do infringe on someone's constitutional rights:
By what authority did he think he was able to check the ID of anyone but the driver? Is being a passenger in a car with a broken taillight PC now?

Even assuming for the sake of argument that he actually meant that he was going to check her ID, and that he couldn't legally force her to show it to him, he can ask anyone for anything.
post #4422 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Well, we can understand why the portion of the cop's call-in where he noted the broken tail light was bolded. Because it doesn't exist.
Good thinking by the cop by not committing himself necessarily to a particular justification at that point.

Now who's being disingenuous?
post #4423 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Now who's being disingenuous?

Still you.

If there was a broken tail light, why not note it rather than simply make a generalized assertion of an unspecified basis for a stop?
post #4424 of 6066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

There is nothing improper about cops exercising their discretion to enforce minor traffic offenses against people they suspect of other crimes. There was a SCOTUS case on this that was unanimous.

Non-responsive. Why not answer my question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Even assuming for the sake of argument that he actually meant that he was going to check her ID, and that he couldn't legally force her to show it to him, he can ask anyone for anything.

And this thread is full of videos showing how well it often works out for the person protecting their constitutional rights.
post #4425 of 6066
Looks like you got a taillight out, Simpson. Where? Right there.

If you pull someone over for a broken taillight, what's so difficult about walking up to their window, telling them to fix the light and then leaving? Does every stop need to involve identifying the driver and other people in the car?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?