or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 263

post #3931 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I don't think it's actually that weird. Perhaps "claim" rather than something a bit more neutral like "state" or "report" reflects a bit of conscious or unconscious bias. But otherwise it seems like responsible journalism to distinguish between facts you and your colleagues have been able to establish with reasonable certainty or confidence from things you've just been told by a single source who at least theoretically may have a reason to be less than completely truthful.
I generally agree with this. But what most likely happened, it seems to me, isn't the only consideration in how a careful, responsible journalist would present it.

Like how they kept reporting that police "claimed" Sandra Bland hanged herself, for weeks, when there was never even the slightest reason to suspect otherwise? Careful and responsible are not the words I'd use to describe the way the media reports on these cases.
post #3932 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Like how they kept reporting that police "claimed" Sandra Bland hanged herself, for weeks, when there was never even the slightest reason to suspect otherwise? Careful and responsible are not the words I'd use to describe the way the media reports on these cases.

Since journalists like negroes are homogenous and fungible, you may have a point.
post #3933 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Since journalists like negroes are homogenous and fungible, you may have a point.

They certainly seem to be fairly homogeneous in their slant and agenda, at least within the mainstream media. But you ought to do me the courtesy of giving my comments a reasonable interpretation.
post #3934 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Since journalists like negroes are homogenous and fungible, you may have a point.

And Negro journalists are the absolute worst!


A joke, a joke!
post #3935 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


Since journalists like negroes are homogenous and fungible, you may have a point.

 

I just like the word fungible.

post #3936 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post


He looks like someone who'd point a gun at the cops, therefore it's more likely that they shot him because he pointed a gun at them. That's the suggestion.

Not fair, I know...

Yup, those facebook posts are always so representative of the person!

post #3937 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post
 

 

I just like the word fungible.

post #3938 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Yup, those facebook posts are always so representative of the person!

What about a gang tattoo in giant letters across your neck?
post #3939 of 6095

ah damn, you're right. tattoos, punishable by death. put him up for the firing squad.

post #3940 of 6095
That's the thing -- no one had to send him to a firing squad; he arranged for it himself.
post #3941 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

ah damn, you're right. tattoos, punishable by death. put him up for the firing squad.

That's not what he said.

How about, it's much more likely that people with giant neck gang tattoos, who point guns at cops while fleeing, are much more likely to get shot and killed than those people that do not.

And you know what. I think people like that are not decent people and they should get killed more than decent people. Note, that I haven't said that Pierre should have been killed but that it was rightfully much more likely that he would be killed.
post #3942 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post


who point guns at cops while fleeing, are much more likely to get shot and killed than those people that do not.
 

Thats not what he said either.

post #3943 of 6095
It's not entirely clear from the text whether you mean this
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



How about, it's much more likely that people with giant neck gang tattoos, who point guns at cops while fleeing, are much more likely to get shot and killed than those people that do not.neither have neck tattoos nor point guns at cops while fleeing.

or this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



How about, it's much more likely that people with giant neck gang tattoos, who point guns at cops while fleeing, are much more likely to get shot and killed than those people that point guns at cops while fleeing but do not have neck tattoos.
I think you mean the former but am not entirely sure.
post #3944 of 6095

Let's continue to wildly conjecture about what happened and argue hypotheticals!

post #3945 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

It's not entirely clear from the text whether you mean this
or this
I think you mean the former but am not entirely sure.

You are correct.

As to the large gang neck tattoo thing. Maybe there is no causation, but kids that have them seem to be shot and incarcerated much more than kids that don't have them. That's just an observation.

When I was a kid, in the 1950s, we ( both black and white children ), thought there would never be a Black President elected in our lifetimes. We were proven wrong.

Now, when I'm old, I think there will never be a President elected with a large gang tattoo on his neck. But after I'm gone, I'm not so sure.

The times, they are a changin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?