or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 243

post #3631 of 6095
You'd think there was a video of him pulling a gun on the cops or something.

I also like that GA link you posted. For one thing, it's ~180 police shootings since 2010, not during 2010. I also note that in one of the two cases they detail, the "unarmed" man is seen attacking the cop on video. The paper goes on to suggest that the cop should have been indicted for a crime because he'd failed to attend some training class. You can't make this stuff up.

ETA: saw this recently:

racewhokillpolice.JPG

race%2Bof%2Bthose%2Bkilled%2Bby%2Bpolice.JPG
post #3632 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

No indictment in the Tamir Rice shooting.

I'm not surprised in the least.
Yeah, well the kid pulled a perfect replica of a gun out of his waistband. I wonder who gave him that idea.
post #3633 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

You'd think there was a video of him pulling a gun on the cops or something.
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post


Yeah, well the kid pulled a perfect replica of a gun out of his waistband. I wonder who gave him that idea.

 

Was there another video that only the two of you have knowledge of and have access to?

post #3634 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post



Was there another video that only the two of you have knowledge of and have access to?
No, I haven't seen the enhanced video, however, nobody ever argued a twelve year old didn't have a replica of a gun. I grew up walking around with BB guns but would never do that now and would never let my children walk around with them. It's a different time.
post #3635 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post



Was there another video that only the two of you have knowledge of and have access to?

I'd really like to see this video where he points a gun at the cops.
post #3636 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post


No, I haven't seen the enhanced video, however, nobody ever argued a twelve year old didn't have a replica of a gun. I grew up walking around with BB guns but would never do that now and would never let my children walk around with them. It's a different time.
 

You said

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post


the kid pulled a perfect replica of a gun out of his waistband. 
 

 

I'm just wondering when and where that happened

post #3637 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

You said


I'm just wondering when and where that happened
This is an edit. The more I watch the surveillance the less I agree with the lack of indictment.
post #3638 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post


Fun fact about Georgia grand juries:

http://investigations.myajc.com/overtheline/ga-police-shootings/
The above link also states that about half of the 184 Georgians killed by police in 2010 were unarmed or shot in the back.

 

That has to be some relic of Jim Crow.

post #3639 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I'd really like to see this video where he points a gun at the cops.

He was certainly pointing it around, I guess you could feel threatened by that.


The real problem I had with the situation was that he'd been doing his bullshit with that gun for some time, and hadn't directly threatened or shot anybody. With that in mind, the cops blazed in and basically forced themselves into making an immediate life and death judgement call. More judicious tactics would probably have deescalated the whole situation. Once they're out of the car, it's probably a justified shoot, but that situation didn't need to be created in the first place.
post #3640 of 6095
But the cops didn't really "blaze" in. They came in from another street and drove across the park to where the gunman was reported to be. He wasn't there. They drove across the park, into that space between the gazebo and the car barrier, saw Rice, who matched the description of the gunman. What were they supposed to do at that point--keep driving?
post #3641 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

But the cops didn't really "blaze" in. They came in from another street and drove across the park to where the gunman was reported to be. He wasn't there. They drove across the park, into that space between the gazebo and the car barrier, saw Rice, who matched the description of the gunman. What were they supposed to do at that point--keep driving?

 

Yeah they really did "blaze" in.  I don't understand why they decided to drive directly towards him.  Had it been a real gunman with murderous intent, he would have opened fire on the approaching police car


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 12/28/15 at 8:55pm
post #3642 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

But the cops didn't really "blaze" in. They came in from another street and drove across the park to where the gunman was reported to be. He wasn't there. They drove across the park, into that space between the gazebo and the car barrier, saw Rice, who matched the description of the gunman. What were they supposed to do at that point--keep driving?

They pulled their car within like 15 feet of the gazebo. If you're not trying to force a confrontation, park further back.

This wasn't some active shooter situation where instant response was of the essence. Backing off and having a few words with the kid might have been prudent. It's going to be damn hard to do that when you're right on top of him from the get-go.
post #3643 of 6095
You ignored the point that they did not know the person they were looking for was in the Gazebo.
post #3644 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

You ignored the point that they did not know the person they were looking for was in the Gazebo.

 

34306114001_3911285082001_video-still-for-video-3911466721001.jpg

post #3645 of 6095
And? They were told by the dispatcher that the person they were looking for was at the swings. Do you see swings in that picture?

Also, the various reports say that the park was not nearly as empty as that surveillance camera makes it look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?