or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 168

post #2506 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

The thing is, I don't hear cops in these videos saying, "Stand over there and film all you want." What I hear is, "TURN OFF THAT FUCKING CAMERA OR I'LL ARREST YOUR ASS" and similar things. I have yet to notice an officer objecting to where the person filming is but rather it's always the fact the person is filming in the first place.

reminds me of this video at 4:42 and 5:55
not quite "TURN OFF THAT FUCKIGN CAMERA", but clearly a cop who didn't want to get recorded saying things like:

Cop: "Thirty fucking gangbangers in here after hours...I'd have put a bullet in all of them"

and
Youth Program Guy: "What about my money you guys stole from me"
Cop: "That's what you deal with for siding earlier"

Telling someone "Hey, you can't record us" is wrong. You can't demand that people follow police instructions, and then have the police give them invalid instructions. The cop wasn't objecting to where the guy was filming from, or to the guy interfering. Even when the camera was just sitting still, he demands that it be turned off.

But hey, its cool, just take their money without a warrant. It is probably drug money...definitely not from the fundraiser they held that day.
post #2507 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Maybe the cop thinks the person has refused instructions because he is distracted by the camera or is unable to both film and obey the order at the same time.

Please explain away this one for me. Guy videotaping, cop actually gets out of his car to confront him. Cops say stupid shit like he needs a permit to video and that he does not have permission to video them nor put their picture on Facebook. Do cops really not know a person has no expectation of privacy while in public? Video ends with cop breaking camera.

All the civilian's fault, right? Not following lawful orders?
post #2508 of 6095
Quote:
Last month Ed Krayewski posted surveillance-camera footage that seemed to show Santa Ana cops munching on cannabis-infused treats while raiding Sky High Holistic, an unlicensed medical marijuana dispensary, on May 26. Some defenders of the police department have argued that the widely viewed video, which was recorded by the one camera the cops neglected to disable and was released by the dispensary's lawyer, may have been edited to leave a misleading impression. Santa Ana Police Chief Carlos Rojas suggested that the cops may have actually been eating protein bars they brought with them. But four minutes and 41 seconds of unedited video with sound posted this week by Nick Schou at the O.C. Weekly makes it pretty clear what's going on. Some of the more incriminating dialogue transcribed by Schou:

Female officer: What is it? Butter?

Male officer: Take a bite.

Female officer: I know, right?

Officer in yellow shirt: There are some good-looking chocolate bars back there.

Bald officer: Bombs away, homie.

Officer in yellow shirt: Yeah, do it...

Bearded officer, to female officer: Are you eating that?

Female officer: Yeah.

As Alex Sanchez, a police supervisor, enters, followed by five firefighters, he announces, "Fire department, watch your mouths. Watch your mouths. You watch your mouth!" The scene continues:

Bald officer, chewing: These bars are pretty good. I kinda feel light-headed, though.

Officer in yellow shirt, patting his stomach: I haven't eaten anything.

The female officer responds by handing him a bar, which he begins eating. The bearded officer unwraps a bar, takes a bite, and hands the treat to the bald officer.

The female officer tosses a bar to a cop sitting at a desk. A firefighter enters and says to the female officer, "You guys got that munchies now, huh?" She replies, "Mmm-hmm."

As Schou notes, only three officers were suspended pending an investigation of the incident, but at least four can be seen eating chocolate bars in the video.



TLDR: Cops raid weed dispensary, steal and eat weed bars. Deny stealing and eating weed bars even though they're on video stealing and eating weed bars.
post #2509 of 6095
I don't see how that excludes the theory that they were eating something else and just joking about it.
post #2510 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I don't see how that excludes the theory that they were eating something else and just joking about it.

I'm sure you don't.
post #2511 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I don't see how that excludes the theory that they were eating something else and just joking about it.

How about the racially disparaging remarks and comments by the female officer about kicking the amputee in the stump?

'Turk, you also never provided me with insight as to how the civilian in the last video I posted was wrong. I need to know he was somehow wrong and the cop that actively engaged him was right.
post #2512 of 6095

I'm continually amused that you people expect a guy who calls himself Ataturk to have reasonable opinions. 

post #2513 of 6095
I don't have time to watch every video, and even if I did, it's a stupid straw man, and I think you know it.
post #2514 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

I'm continually amused that you people expect a guy who calls himself Ataturk to have reasonable opinions. 

I don't buy the Fox News argument that all viewpoints add to a discussion, but Ataturk does play a nice contrarian role in this thread at times.

On occasion the mask slips slightly and the troll nature is revealed (see post #2509 above) but if you avoid thinking too deeply some of his comments almost seem to have the smell of a place where there used to be something related to truth.
post #2515 of 6095
What 's your opinion regarding the relative usefulness of conclusory remarks and personal attacks rather than actual analysis or argument?

The supervisor says "watch your mouths" rather than "stop stealing evidence and ingesting marijuana on the job."

Again, I don't see what part of that absolutely disproves the theory that they were just kidding around.
post #2516 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

What 's your opinion regarding the relative usefulness of conclusory remarks and personal attacks rather than actual analysis or argument?

How do you make the above statement and keep a straight face when making the below statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I don't have time to watch every video, and even if I did, it's a stupid straw man, and I think you know it.

You seem to have time to repeatedly watch the same video when it suits you, but give a video where you cannot muster a police excuse, and suddenly evidence is not worth analyzing.
post #2517 of 6095
Seriously? I could not possibly (and did not, in fact) claim to be speaking about every single incident that has ever happened or ever will happen. That you can drag out one instance of abuse, assuming for the sake of argument that it is, is meaningless.
post #2518 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Seriously? I could not possibly (and did not, in fact) claim to be speaking about every single incident that has ever happened or ever will happen. That you can drag out one instance of abuse, assuming for the sake of argument that it is, is meaningless.

No, just every single instance in a thread on the topic with thousands of posts. No pattern to discern here...
post #2519 of 6095
I never even watched the video because, as I explained, it is nothing more than a single anecdote and doesn't prove or disprove anything about the point I was making.

It's as if we were discussing what color the sky is, and I'd taken the position that it's usually blue, and you'd showed up with a picture where it's gray. It just doesn't prove anything.
post #2520 of 6095
rolleyes.gif

Sadly, I'm the guy that is the only one around here to give you any credit for good points too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?