or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 159

post #2371 of 6244
I hate to derail a well thought thread. Just wanted to note, it's not a dangerous job. You have a gun you can use a multitude of situations. The other person usually doesn't.

I still think its a complete lack of discipline in them. They think they're always in danger and the public things that as well. 134 officers died last year (https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2014) , out of ~900,000 (http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/). That's 0.09%. This includes deaths including, driving to work, getting lunch, etc.

They have no incentive for restraint. In the military, there is discipline and order. Most police departments have none.
post #2372 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

In our town they'll cut it and send you a bill.
This is the policy where I live. I've had to report a neighbor or two over the years. peepwall[1].gif
post #2373 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

^ Some kids that show up will definitely be disappointed.
So? What could go wrong?

And yes, I get the joke you were making. smile.gif
post #2374 of 6244
Unless you are actively trying to sell your house what possible reason could you give a shit if your neighbour cuts his grass?
post #2375 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

This is the policy where I live. I've had to report a neighbor or two over the years. peepwall[1].gif

Snitches get stitches!
post #2376 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I hate to derail a well thought thread. Just wanted to note, it's not a dangerous job. You have a gun you can use a multitude of situations. The other person usually doesn't.
Of, FFS. Nobody could reasonably mistake me for a police apologist, but saying it's not a dangerous job is just stupid.
post #2377 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Get a stupid pension, overtime. Carry a gun and be a big man all day long. Get to extort sex from hookers, drugs from dealers, and free drinks at most bars in town. 90% of any petty crime you commit will be swept under the rug. All with having a requirement that your IQ is under 100. What's not to love?

Wow! I failed my IQ test. It is above 100! What can I do now that I'm too intelligent to be a cop?
post #2378 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post

Wow! I failed my IQ test. It is above 100! What can I do now that I'm to intelligent to be a cop?

Spend time studying the differences between "to", "too", and "two."
post #2379 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

You have to admit that it's kind of amusing that there apparently never was a pool party, and disappointing but not surprising that the media is still calling it one.

We all know the media has ethics because they say they do.
post #2380 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Of, FFS. Nobody could reasonably mistake me for a police apologist, but saying it's not a dangerous job is just stupid.

So from the time you leave the house in the morning to coming home in the evening, you have a 99.91% chance you'd be alive every year, that must be a dangerous job?

The other metrics other jobs don't include are from when you get in your car, get to work, get lunch, drive back. Hit by a car, motorcycle and car accidents count - that excludes actual pursuits. That's 36 of the 134 for a total of 98.

I'm not inhuman about the deaths and the effects t must it must have had on their families. I also know there are many good officers out there, but saying a job in which 98 out 800,000k plus people died is dangerous doesn't compute - but I'm a simpleton.

My bigger problem, to get back on topic a bit, is that they cultivate this dangerous job authority figure. That results in the potential for a dangerous misuse of power.
post #2381 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

So from the time you leave the house in the morning to coming home in the evening, you have a 99.91% chance you'd be alive every year, that must be a dangerous job?

The other metrics other jobs don't include are from when you get in your car, get to work, get lunch, drive back. Hit by a car, motorcycle and car accidents count - that excludes actual pursuits. That's 36 of the 134 for a total of 98.

I'm not inhuman about the deaths and the effects t must it must have had on their families. I also know there are many good officers out there, but saying a job in which 98 out 800,000k plus people died is dangerous doesn't compute - but I'm a simpleton.

My bigger problem, to get back on topic a bit, is that they cultivate this dangerous job authority figure. That results in the potential for a dangerous misuse of power.
To stay on topic, I have no disagreement with your main point.
post #2382 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post

Wow! I failed my IQ test. It is above 100! What can I do now that I'm too intelligent to be a cop?


EDIT - I don't know what the fuck your point is. You seem like an asshole. I'm tempted to just foo.gif you.
post #2383 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

To stay on topic, I have no disagreement with your main point.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply its not more dangerous than the average job, simply that it's not so much more dangerous to justify cultivating an image of constant danger and use that to gain sympathy and then abuse their power.
post #2384 of 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply its not more dangerous than the average job, simply that it's not so much more dangerous to justify cultivating an image of constant danger and use that to gain sympathy and then abuse their power.

Part of the problem is that the cops aren't just being cynical in portraying their job as dangerous. They really believe that they are in constant danger and that a non-trivial fraction of the population may try to kill them at any time. There have been a number of articles recently about how this need for constant hypervigilance is beaten into their heads in the academy. No wonder some of them are twitchy enough to end up with unnecessary shootings.
post #2385 of 6244
I think the story last week with wacko and his armored van does show that there are crack pots out there who are happy to try and shoot a cop for no reason. While it's rare and can happen in almost any other spot these guys are targets for those who think they need to prove a point and are angry at the world. Does this give Joe Cop the right to be hypervigilant, I'm not sure but it would make my hair turn grey faster compared to not having the job.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?