or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 111

post #1651 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

He had retreated though, since he wasn't shot at close range. He wasn't close enough to actually reach for the gun again, so clearly he had backed up. Certainly it wasn't shooting him in the back as he ran away like this South Carolina case, but the argument that Brown was actively a lethal threat because he had previously gone for the gun isn't convincing to me.

My memory is foggy, but I believe Wilson claimed he shot Brown while he was charging back toward him. Based on the previous scuffle over the gun, Brown charging him again could certainly be considered a lethal threat.

With regard to this recent shooting, even if the guy had actually stolen the taser it would be very hard to justify those last couple shots. It's also easy for me to say that, and maybe not so easy for someone under a tremendous amount of stress to calculate the risk someone poses, or to even see if the taser was in his possession as he was fleeing.

As far as the black community versus the police, it's a situation where both problems fuel the other in an ongoing cycle that's never going to end. The portion of cops that are on a power trip give cover to the crime problem in the black community because shootings like this will yet again be touted as the norm, not the exception. It will give the left another opportunity to victimize an entire class of people and convince them that they aren't responsible for making changes within their own community (while of course pitting all whites against all blacks in the process).
post #1652 of 6095
Even if there is some gymnastically strained argument justifying the shooting, the fact of the matter is that cop had no business pulling the trigger.

The murder charge is fully justified.
post #1653 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

With regard to this recent shooting, even if the guy had actually stolen the taser it would be very hard to justify those last couple shots. It's also easy for me to say that, and maybe not so easy for someone under a tremendous amount of stress to calculate the risk someone poses, or to even see if the taser was in his possession as he was fleeing.

 

I think this is a pretty fair point. It often is very easy for us to sit back and claim that these decisions are easy, but fail to account for the stress of the situation. On the flip side, these cops also receive training about how to react in these situations. That should be accounted for too.

post #1654 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

I think this is a pretty fair point. It often is very easy for us to sit back and claim that these decisions are easy, but fail to account for the stress of the situation. On the flip side, these cops also receive training about how to react in these situations. That should be accounted for too.

The shooting is not justified, but the law has within it levels of culpability. I think the defense will be looking at involuntary manslaughter.

Rumor has it that Harold will be defending the cop.
post #1655 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

Your understanding of some of the particulars of the case (such as noticing that cop knew he was being filmed, your comments about the media's irresponsible coverage, your theory on the reason for the cop dropping the unidentified object near the body) are impressive for not following its developments.

I read a couple stories on it when it happened, and I've watched the video a few times. Hence why I asked about "developments."
Quote:
The following were not really developments, but were includes in some of the initial news reports.

1. The police report states that CPR was performed. The video does not show the police performing CPR.

We don't know when he died, went into cardiac arrest, or stopped breathing. I am not a doctor, but my understanding is that there would be no benefit from performing CPR on the guy until he stops breathing or his heart stops beating. Is there any indication that this happened in the first couple minutes?
Quote:
2. He reported on his radio, “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser." The video shows that the cop had possession of the taser.

Those are the two misrepresentations that the cop has made.

And when did he say this? Again, it's not clear the cop knew where the taser was immediately after the shooting, which appears to be when he said that over the radio. Also saying the guy "took" his taser, if those are the words he used, doesn't necessarily mean he still had it when he was shot.

Neither of these appear to be "lies."
post #1656 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

We don't know when he died, went into cardiac arrest, or stopped breathing. I am not a doctor, but my understanding is that there would be no benefit from performing CPR on the guy until he stops breathing or his heart stops beating. Is there any indication that this happened in the first couple minutes?

Whether CPR would have been beneficial or not is rather a distinct question from claiming to attempt CPR without ever having actually done so. Why make the claim if it never happened?


It could be a boilerplate thing, I suppose. Certainly it comes off like an attempt at framing the events in a more sympathetic light.
post #1657 of 6095
GoFundMe shut down a funding campaign for Slager.

Slager might be 100% guilty, but I think this is wrong.
post #1658 of 6095
Maybe the CPR happened more than three minutes after the shooting? Who was the source of the CPR claim, anyway? I see that claim attributed to a "police report," not to the officer who fired the shots.
post #1659 of 6095
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/Man-on-Stolen-Horse-Stunned-by-Sheriffs-Deputies-in-IE-299250951.html

Man steals horse and leads sheriff's deputies on a chase. Man falls off horse and when confronted by deputies, lays prone with arms extended. Gets tased and beaten for several minutes anyway.

Video at the link. I bet they say he reached for one of their guns.
post #1660 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/Man-on-Stolen-Horse-Stunned-by-Sheriffs-Deputies-in-IE-299250951.html

Man steals horse and leads sheriff's deputies on a chase. Man falls off horse and when confronted by deputies, lays prone with arms extended. Gets tased and beaten for several minutes anyway.

Video at the link. I bet they say he reached for one of their guns.

Hard to tell if the PERP is black or white in the video. If he's white then this is a case of BFD.

Besides, horse thieves, black or white, are treated harshly in the West. There's still a lot of Roy Beans west of the Pecos.
post #1661 of 6095
It looks bad, but before you make up your mind, consider this: http://www.vvng.com/felon-arrested-for-shooting-a-dog/
Quote:
Deputies learned that Pusok had threatened his girlfriend and had shot a dog. During the course of the investigation it was learned that Pusok is a convicted felon and therefore prohibited from owning or possessing firearms. Pusok, while detained in the back seat of a patrol car, kicked out the window of a vehicle.

He'd killed a dog. A puppy maybe.

Also: notice the date. Felon in possession of a weapon. Kicks out police car windows. Free in a year and a half at the latest. Gotta love California.
post #1662 of 6095
Shot and killed a dog, and stole a horse.

He deserved what he got. Case closed.
post #1663 of 6095
No matter how heinous a criminal he is, cops don't get to beat him after taking him into custody.
post #1664 of 6095
post #1665 of 6095
So apparently more details have been released. The dashcam video shows the guy running and, a short time later, the cop shouts TASER TASER TASER, followed by the shots. The whole thing goes down surprisingly quickly, maybe 20 seconds from him leaving the car to the shots. Afterwards, the cop very clearly says over the radio that the guy GRABBED his taser, not that he'd taken it.

There's a passenger in the car with the guy, and the exchange is very suspicious. The guy says he doesn't own the car, doesn't have insurance, and that he's buying it from somebody... soon. He takes off while the cop is checking his license.

On the balance, though, this doesn't do much for the cop. He's SOL. Assuming he didn't lie about what happened, if this was an ordinary case it'd be manslaughter with a light sentence. With all the attention it's gotten he's probably going down hard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?