or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 94

post #1396 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post


I wouldn't want to be a cop these days.[

Is there a point in time when you would have wanted to be a cop? It's safer to be a cop today than at most points in US history, including the 1950s.



Most of the deaths are from car accidents too.
post #1397 of 6095
I don't have the desire to murder people and dogs or steal money and drugs from them so I don't think I'd ever want to be a cop.
post #1398 of 6095
Quote:
The video, released by the police department in response to Freedom of Information Act requests...

This is why I'm very ambivalent over cops being required to wear body cams. Do you really want the FOIA to allow people to expose you or your loved ones to the world at your most vulnerable, least dignified, most helpless? Think of all the incredibly intimate moments cops are witness to/part of in all kinds of situations.

Was a female you love raped and left nude? FOIA that cop video!

Did your kid crash their car and splatter their brains across the dashboard? FOIA that cop video!

Did someone call in a welfare check on your elderly parent and the cop entered to find them dead? FOIA that cop video!

A whole new can of worms is just waiting to get opened here.
post #1399 of 6095
Gib and Harold in order:

Gib, I see your point about deaths, but how careful can a cop be around citizens?

Too diligent? You risk claims by Rachel Maddow of racist hate killer.

Too lax? "Mommy, why did the bad man shoot daddy?" "Well, honey, because he went to sensitivity training."


Harold,

Its simply a matter of percentages. 100 percent of violent sociopathic control freak criminals are criminals.

Even if cops are 50/50, the odds are much better that you're not murdered by a cop.
post #1400 of 6095
Holy shit. Is the beloved drunk attorney back?
post #1401 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

This is why I'm very ambivalent over cops being required to wear body cams. Do you really want the FOIA to allow people to expose you or your loved ones to the world at your most vulnerable, least dignified, most helpless? Think of all the incredibly intimate moments cops are witness to/part of in all kinds of situations.

Was a female you love raped and left nude? FOIA that cop video!

Did your kid crash their car and splatter their brains across the dashboard? FOIA that cop video!

Did someone call in a welfare check on your elderly parent and the cop entered to find them dead? FOIA that cop video!

A whole new can of worms is just waiting to get opened here.

I believe I made a similar comment about this awhile back. I'm mixed on this, because on the one hand, you generally do get less complaints of excessive force and other real benefits. However, the downside is exactly what you said. My other concern is a big data one. We already have concerns around cops using cameras to do things such as monitor certain routes and profile people as smugglers based on the usage. If you suddenly have hundreds of cops walking around with cameras on, will they expand the amount of data they capture and use it in similar ways?
post #1402 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I believe I made a similar comment about this awhile back. I'm mixed on this, because on the one hand, you generally do get less complaints of excessive force and other real benefits. However, the downside is exactly what you said. My other concern is a big data one. We already have concerns around cops using cameras to do things such as monitor certain routes and profile people as smugglers based on the usage. If you suddenly have hundreds of cops walking around with cameras on, will they expand the amount of data they capture and use it in similar ways?

Yeah, I've raised this issue previously and I think it's one folks are not paying attention to. Never thought about the thought of body cams capturing random facial profiles, etc. too. I read some time ago many cruisers are equipped with cameras that just run all the license plate numbers they scan and alert if they come up flagged. Not sure I want that moving to facial recognition on body cams.
post #1403 of 6095
Just ask the cops what they think. If they are against body cams then you know it's a good idea. Furthermore, the amount of lives saved will outweigh the concerns raised above.
post #1404 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

Just ask the cops what they think. If they are against body cams then you know it's a good idea. Furthermore, the amount of lives saved will outweigh the concerns raised above.

Any data to support this? What sort of metric do you apply to the concerns I've raised?
post #1405 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Holy shit. Is the beloved drunk attorney back?

I had predicted he would arise before Easter.
post #1406 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Yeah, I've raised this issue previously and I think it's one folks are not paying attention to. Never thought about the thought of body cams capturing random facial profiles, etc. too. I read some time ago many cruisers are equipped with cameras that just run all the license plate numbers they scan and alert if they come up flagged. Not sure I want that moving to facial recognition on body cams.

Exactly. The license plate scanning I can kind of get behind. If people are driving in a stolen car or is registered to someone with a warrant out, that's benefitial. Also, let's be honest, cops would just be punching in the license plates as they drive any way. Might as well take the multitasking away. I don't want that data stored though.

I'm sure after spending a few days in DC going to all the tourist sites, I'm in some database, which is scarey enough, but doing it on a daily basis to everyone seems Orwellian to me.
post #1407 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Gib and Harold in order:

Gib, I see your point about deaths, but how careful can a cop be around citizens?

Too diligent? You risk claims by Rachel Maddow of racist hate killer.

Too lax? "Mommy, why did the bad man shoot daddy?" "Well, honey, because he went to sensitivity training."

I think people need to be realistic about their exposure to risk. People in general massively overestimate the amount of crime in our society today; most people think it's worse than the 1970s but it's actually much safer. Horrific acts are simply reported so much more that people think the risk is higher. This has (in part) led to helicopter parenting, lack of physical exercise, and overly nervous police.

The police seem to think that we're living in some sort of Escape from New York hellscape, where cop killers are waiting around every bend. That's really not the case. The gap between their perception and reality become unnecessarily aggressive policing, militarized police, totally unnecessary SWAT-style raids, and hair-trigger shootings.

I don't want to see more cops killed, but cops shouldn't be walking around with the idea that civilians are always trying to kill them. The "Cops vs Civilians" attitude is really poisonous.
post #1408 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I think people need to be realistic about their exposure to risk. People in general massively overestimate the amount of crime in our society today; most people think it's worse than the 1970s but it's actually much safer. Horrific acts are simply reported so much more that people think the risk is higher. This has (in part) led to helicopter parenting, lack of physical exercise, and overly nervous police.

The police seem to think that we're living in some sort of Escape from New York hellscape, where cop killers are waiting around every bend. That's really not the case. The gap between their perception and reality become unnecessarily aggressive policing, militarized police, totally unnecessary SWAT-style raids, and hair-trigger shootings.

I don't want to see more cops killed, but cops shouldn't be walking around with the idea that civilians are always trying to kill them. The "Cops vs Civilians" attitude is really poisonous.

Don't let facts and math get in the way of Lighthouse's #narratives.
post #1409 of 6095
There was a case in DC this week, parents were letting their kids (age 6 and 10) walk about a mile to a park in a suburban neighborhood. Police stopped to check on the kids, CPS ends up getting involved.

Lots of handwaving about "Don't you know HOW DANGEROUS it is today??? How could you let your kids out in public unsupervised????" facepalm.gif
post #1410 of 6095

'You're my favorite victim': NYPD officer gets sleazy in Seattle, going on booze binge that led to kissing, groping session while investigating rape case — EXCLUSIVE


All 3 of these people are idiots:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/exclusive-nypd-accused-groping-rape-victim-article-1.2080637
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?