or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF over-zealous police? - Page 70

post #1036 of 6095
Well, it figures Ataturk wouldn't be a fan...but I also find it funny.

And while its slant is clear, I would disagree on it preaching to the choir or being similar to daily kos or democratic underground (I can't say I am currently a visitor of either site, but I suspect they are much less measured and far more circle-jerky).
post #1037 of 6095
Ata and I disagree on many issues but we apparently both agree Last Week Tonight is terrible. At least William Maher has an opposing voice on for topics, LWT is just an echo chamber of stupidity.
post #1038 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Forfeiture is rarely used against people who are facing criminal charges. Think about it, the cops want to forfeit the cash, that means the suspect hasn't bought the drugs yet. That means no criminal charges.

EDIT - in those cases where they stop people on the return trip with the drugs those cases rarely seem to have charges filed as the drugs just disappear into the cops' pockets. No forfeiture hearing required.

Didn't mean that they were/could be convicted, but that they were intending to do something illegal with the money. Some gangbanger gets stopped with 50g's in a dufflebag in the car and they abscond with the money and he never gets tried, but everybody pretty much knows he was not taking that money to a church for donation. It's not entirely inaccurate to assume that the majority of people hurt by these aren't exactly innocents.
post #1039 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Didn't mean that they were/could be convicted, but that they were intending to do something illegal with the money. Some gangbanger gets stopped with 50g's in a dufflebag in the car and they abscond with the money and he never gets tried, but everybody pretty much knows he was not taking that money to a church for donation. It's not entirely inaccurate to assume that the majority of people hurt by these aren't exactly innocents.

Well that's good then, as long as non-innocents are being harmed that's for the best.

Btw, you're probably violating at least a dozen laws without even knowing it. So when the cops stop you, arrest you, and rape you it'll be ok because you were doing something wrong anyway.

Fuck you.
post #1040 of 6095
My wife loves any and all left-wing circlejerkery (she loves Newsroom of all things), but LWT is a genuinely enjoyable show most of the time. A large number of the features don't have any serious partisan slant to them. They've had ones against the IOC, FIFA, for-profit colleges, Miss America fundraising, all sorts of issues that don't get a lot of serious consideration on normal shows.

Maher is mostly just political horserace stuff. I can't be bothered to watch it, there's not any actual insight or analysis.
post #1041 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

My wife loves any and all left-wing circlejerkery (she loves Newsroom of all things), but LWT is a genuinely enjoyable show most of the time. A large number of the features don't have any serious partisan slant to them. They've had ones against the IOC, FIFA, for-profit colleges, Miss America fundraising, all sorts of issues that don't get a lot of serious consideration on normal shows.

Maher is mostly just political horserace stuff. I can't be bothered to watch it, there's not any actual insight or analysis.

I'm sure most communists agree with you.
post #1042 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Well that's good then, as long as non-innocents are being harmed that's for the best.

Btw, you're probably violating at least a dozen laws without even knowing it. So when the cops stop you, arrest you, and rape you it'll be ok because you were doing something wrong anyway.

Fuck you.

Dude, I'm not in favor of this nonsense. I'm saying why most people don't care. They're not so worried about occasional collateral damage as long as it's mostly focus on criminals. They're right that it is mostly hurting criminals, but totally wrong about placing so much uncheckable power in the hands of the police.
post #1043 of 6095
My oldest living brother, 83, is super liberal. Moved to California, was a school teacher, active in his teacher's union once asked me, in front of several people, what it was I disliked about Bill Maher other than his politics. He did it in that shmarmy way only someone that likes the smell of his own farts can do. So I calmly looked him in the eye and said, "It has nothing to do with his politics. It's the fact he's a smug asshole and never presents a single issue fairly, stacks his panel to gang bang the lone conservative, and does nothing but makes fallacious plays to the emotions of liberal dipshits and then thinks he's scored an intellectual victory. Other than that I really enjoy his show."
post #1044 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Dude, I'm not in favor of this nonsense. I'm saying why most people don't care. They're not so worried about occasional collateral damage as long as it's mostly focus on criminals. They're right that it is mostly hurting criminals, but totally wrong about placing so much uncheckable power in the hands of the police.

Well most people are goddamn morons. Carrying cash is not indicative of intention to commit a crime. Period. Full stop.
post #1045 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My oldest living brother, 83, is super liberal. Moved to California, was a school teacher, active in his teacher's union once asked me, in front of several people, what it was I disliked about Bill Maher other than his politics. He did it in that shmarmy way only someone that likes the smell of his own farts can do. So I calmly looked him in the eye and said, "It has nothing to do with his politics. It's the fact he's a smug asshole and never presents a single issue fairly, stacks his panel to gang bang the lone conservative, and does nothing but makes fallacious plays to the emotions of liberal dipshits and then thinks he's scored an intellectual victory. Other than that I really enjoy his show."

Also the show usually devolves into everyone trying to talk over each other, then Maher telling them all to shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

I'm sure most communists agree with you.
They never seem to talk about the proletariat. Perhaps a conspiracy.
post #1046 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Well most people are goddamn morons. Carrying cash is not indicative of intention to commit a crime. Period. Full stop.

That's the problem with politics though, you gotta get enough people pissed off to challenge the status quo. It's all the same reasons why there's not enough outrage about no-knock warrants, drug dogs counting as probable cause, etc, etc. Too many people don't care because they think it happens primarily to scumbags. And *they're* not a scumbag, so they don't care. Until it happens to them, anyway.
post #1047 of 6095
Everyone is a scumbag. We still should have civil rights.
post #1048 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

My wife loves any and all left-wing circlejerkery (she loves Newsroom of all things), but LWT is a genuinely enjoyable show most of the time. A large number of the features don't have any serious partisan slant to them. They've had ones against the IOC, FIFA, for-profit colleges, Miss America fundraising, all sorts of issues that don't get a lot of serious consideration on normal shows.

The guy uses "humor" (i.e., saying things that aren't true) to cover up the weak parts of his argument or to set up straw men -- every time. It's awful.
Quote:
Maher is mostly just political horserace stuff. I can't be bothered to watch it, there's not any actual insight or analysis.

I haven't seen his show since ABC fired him for going too far on 9/11, but I remember Maher's show on ABC in the late '90s as being one of the better ones. Maybe it's because he was on a tighter leash on network TV, or maybe just 'cause I only had two channels when I lived in BFE in the '90s.
post #1049 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Well most people are goddamn morons. Carrying cash is not indicative of intention to commit a crime. Period. Full stop.

Like how dressing up in all black and a ski mask isn't evidence you're up to no good? Surely you'd acknowledge that it's evidence at least when combined with other circumstances.

And as far as I know there's no forfeiture law that lets the government take cash just 'cause you've got it. Unexplained cash found with drugs, on the other hand, is a different story. The worst abuses of that seem to happen when the drugs are obviously or at least probably recreational. Those cases do give pause, sometimes, but ultimately they're winnable when the forfeiture is contested. At any rate you should be okay as long as you keep your cash and dope separated.
post #1050 of 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Like how dressing up in all black and a ski mask isn't evidence you're up to no good? Surely you'd acknowledge that it's evidence at least when combined with other circumstances.

And as far as I know there's no forfeiture law that lets the government take cash just 'cause you've got it. Unexplained cash found with drugs, on the other hand, is a different story. The worst abuses of that seem to happen when the drugs are obviously or at least probably recreational. Those cases do give pause, sometimes, but ultimately they're winnable when the forfeiture is contested. At any rate you should be okay as long as you keep your cash and dope separated.



Yeah, I'm sure you're right. No cop has ever seized money based on a false dog search and out of state plates.

Oh wait, they have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › WTF over-zealous police?