or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting - Page 37

post #541 of 568

Has anyone noticed that the standard cotton shirts fit tighter than the non-iron cotton shirts (of the same size)?

post #542 of 568

I find the extra slim fit to be too large at the waist, and the collar points are barely long enough. I wish they did longer collar points.

post #543 of 568
CT slim fit shirts fit me perfectly. For me, at least, I can't fault the fit and finish.
post #544 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

CT slim fit shirts fit me perfectly. For me, at least, I can't fault the fit and finish.

For me, size 15.5 extra slim fit is perfect, but only in the non-iron cotton shirts. In the regular cotton (NOT non-iron) they are too tight. So strange.
post #545 of 568
That's odd. I find the fit is the same for me irrespective of it being non-iron or not. Sorry to hear the result is not similar for you, mosy.
post #546 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

For me, size 15.5 extra slim fit is perfect, but only in the non-iron cotton shirts. In the regular cotton (NOT non-iron) they are too tight. So strange.

Maybe I'll try a standard cotton extra slim. I'm 16" neck and 34" waist and they're a bit loose.

Hawes & Curtis fit me perfectly.
post #547 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 

Has anyone noticed that the standard cotton shirts fit tighter than the non-iron cotton shirts (of the same size)?

A couple of reasons that could explain your experience:

 

1) CT's non-iron shirts are more resistant to shrinkage than their standard cotton shirts.  Perhaps your standard cotton shirts have shrunk slightly over time, while your non-irons haven't.

 

2) CT has changed the measurements/fit of their shirts over the past few years.  This isn't merely something I've experienced--CT has advertised it.  In general, they have been slimmed down, I believe.  This site has some good info on the matter: http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-review/

 

So perhaps you have some shirts from before the sizing change(s), and some from after.  If your non-iron shirts are older and your standard cotton shirts are newer, this could explain why the latter fit tighter.

 

Personally, I think it was a mistake for CT to mess with their sizing.  The slim fit shirts from 2012-2013 fit me really well (though perhaps a bit baggy around the waist, but this was easily fixed by a tailor).  However, I bought a shirt last year after the sizing revisions, and it was comically tight in the chest/shoulders/arms, despite being the same size and fit.  This was rather disappointing, as CT was my go-to for dress shirts.  I've read several other reviews on the internet expressing the same sentiments, so maybe there's hope that CT will undo the sizing changes in light of feedback.

 

Anyway, hope this info helps.

post #548 of 568

Hi, I am 6'0 - 185 lbs, generally fit with a tiny dad bod belly ..,. I am looking to pull the trigger on a couple CT casual shirts.  Now, they are all Slim Fit... my problem is their size guide with casual shirts.  I am typically an L  and looking at their casual shirts guide I would be an L as well, except that underneath that they have a "slim shirt" guide for casuals that comes in with a 48" chest on a L !!!!! What gives, do i size down to a Medium?? But then according to guide the neck comes in at 15.5 which again becomes small for me . WTF! 

 

Has anyone worn their casual shits? and for Christs sake am I a Medium or a Large?????

post #549 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbi View Post
 

Hi, I am 6'0 - 185 lbs, generally fit with a tiny dad bod belly ..,. I am looking to pull the trigger on a couple CT casual shirts.  Now, they are all Slim Fit... my problem is their size guide with casual shirts.  I am typically an L  and looking at their casual shirts guide I would be an L as well, except that underneath that they have a "slim shirt" guide for casuals that comes in with a 48" chest on a L !!!!! What gives, do i size down to a Medium?? But then according to guide the neck comes in at 15.5 which again becomes small for me . WTF! 

 

Has anyone worn their casual shits? and for Christs sake am I a Medium or a Large?????

I wear them and love them as I am 6'3" and the tails are long enough for a tall guy. Their slim shirt guide is way off (they said XXL for me and it was too big).

 

I have a 44 chest and weigh 220lbs and an XL is perfect on me - I would say you are a large and I would guess a 42 is about that size.

 

For reference I am a 17.5" neck and a 36 arm in their slim fit dress shits. I can't imagine a 2" drop between sizes.

post #550 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbi View Post

Hi, I am 6'0 - 185 lbs, generally fit with a tiny dad bod belly ..,. I am looking to pull the trigger on a couple CT casual shirts.  Now, they are all Slim Fit... my problem is their size guide with casual shirts.  I am typically an L  and looking at their casual shirts guide I would be an L as well, except that underneath that they have a "slim shirt" guide for casuals that comes in with a 48" chest on a L !!!!! What gives, do i size down to a Medium?? But then according to guide the neck comes in at 15.5 which again becomes small for me . WTF! 

Has anyone worn their casual shits? and for Christs sake am I a Medium or a Large?????

I'm 5-9/180 and do Medium in their casual slim shirts. The neck size is exactly 15.5. The sleeves could actually be an inch longer for me. I'd say that you're a large based on what you said.
post #551 of 568

Thanks for the help ! 

post #552 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstealer73 View Post


I'm 5-9/180 and do Medium in their casual slim shirts. The neck size is exactly 15.5. The sleeves could actually be an inch longer for me. I'd say that you're a large based on what you said.

Thanks for the help ! Does the body fit you right on a casual medium slim ? Is there some room or do you feel on the tighter side? I could get away with a 15.5 because I'll never button than top button anyway. Whats you sleeve length? 

post #553 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbi View Post
 

Thanks for the help ! Does the body fit you right on a casual medium slim ? Is there some room or do you feel on the tighter side? I could get away with a 15.5 because I'll never button than top button anyway. Whats you sleeve length? 

There's a little room.  It's similar to a regular Gap Modern Oxford or a Lands End Tailored Fit.  I need a 33/34 sleeve.  Regular Mediums or 32/33 are usually a little short on me.

post #554 of 568

Having never bought CT shirts before i'm curious on how transparent/thin their Poplin weave is especially for a white shirt ? 

I"m wondering if I should go for a Twill shirt. 

Does anyone also know how their sizing/material compares with TM Lewin ? 

post #555 of 568

Hi, can someone measure shoulder width of current CT 16 classic/slim fit shirts? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting