or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit looked great on me but...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit looked great on me but... - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

surely you're not suggesting that $700 for a full canvas suit--with the whole internet at your disposal--is unheard of?

Unheard of, no. Likely? That's a different story. Other than the occasional discount store closeout, which is likely to be in an odd size or style (or both), I doubt you will find anything decently made and fully canvassed (I'm sure some online MTM will make you a terrible but fully canvassed suit for peanuts if you so desire) for under $700.

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most of the suits you identified above are not fully canvassed, but half-canvassed. The BB Golden Fleece and HF Mahogany lines are indeed fully canvassed, but you're talking about $1,500+ suits. The link you posted to HF is for a tan suit, and even that is $800. That just illustrates my point that you can occasionally find something "fully canvassed" for $700 or less ($800 in this case), but it's doubtful that you will find anything in a staple color/style from these lines at modest prices.

In any case, I was more trying to point out that there is nothing wrong with a half-canvassed suit, and $700 is not an unreasonable price to pay for one, at full retail or on sale. BB 1818 suits are half-canvassed, and are excellent value at BB's regular sales (when they are routinely available for about $700).
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

Unheard of, no. Likely? That's a different story. Other than the occasional discount store closeout, which is likely to be in an odd size or style (or both), I doubt you will find anything decently made and fully canvassed (I'm sure some online MTM will make you a terrible but fully canvassed suit for peanuts if you so desire) for under $700.

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most of the suits you identified above are not fully canvassed, but half-canvassed. The BB Golden Fleece and HF Mahogany lines are indeed fully canvassed, but you're talking about $1,500+ suitThe link you posted to HF is for a tan suit, and even that is $800. That just illustrates my point that you can occasionally find something "fully canvassed" for $700 or less ($800 in this case), ), but it's doubtful that you will find anything in a staple color/style from these lines at modest prices.

In any case, I was more trying to point out that there is nothing wrong with a half-canvassed suit, and $700 is not an unreasonable price to pay for one, at full retail or on sale. BB 1818 suits are half-canvassed, and are excellent value at BB's regular sales (when they are routinely available for about $700).

You are wrong. The tan suit had an additional 25% off, which made it less than $700. Mainline Corneliani is half-canvas? That's news to me. Some of the HFs on STP may indeed be half-canvas, but you have no way of knowing that. Look, I hate the threads where someone says they have $200 to spend at Macy's, JAB, or BR, then everyone tells them to troll the internet for Brioni at 99% off because they saw one this one time for $200. But $700 is actually a pretty decent suit budget. Again, no one is saying that $700 is an unreasonable amount to pay for a half-canvas suit. If you think it's seriously that hard to find something above J Crew on the internet for $700, you must not spend ANY time at all looking for bargains. By the way, Brooks Brothers has tons of 1818 suits in staple colors in their sale section right now for $658.
post #33 of 51
Anyway, back to the OP: You may by now realize that there is a wide range of opinion here on what one should buy in any given price range.

The advice above to just go with the Ludlow for now is good. For campus recruiting interviews (I assume you're a student, correct?) just having a suit that doesn't look ridiculous is sufficient. The Ludlow suit is of high enough quality to easily outlive its fashion shelf life (I don't mean that pejoratively) and by the time you need another one you should have more than sufficient budget to buy something else, should you so desire.

Good luck with your interviews.
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

You are wrong. The tan suit had an additional 25% off, which made it less than $700. Mainline Corneliani is half-canvas? That's news to me. Some of the HFs on STP may indeed be half-canvas, but you have no way of knowing that. Look, I hate the threads where someone says they have $200 to spend at Macy's, JAB, or BR, then everyone tells them to troll the internet for Brioni at 99% off because they saw one this one time for $200. But $700 is actually a pretty decent suit budget. Again, no one is saying that $700 is an unreasonable amount to pay for a half-canvas suit. If you think it's seriously that hard to find something above J Crew on the internet for $700, you must not spend ANY time at all looking for bargains. By the way, Brooks Brothers has tons of 1818 suits in staple colors in their sale section right now for $658.

Ok, the HF suit is under 700 - it is still tan.

Didn't I say that Brooks 1818 suits are regularly available for $700 on sale?

And I didn't say "all" the suits you named were half-canvassed.

Anyway, I think you and I are on the same page more or less, other than some factual disagreements, about what the OP should probably do with his $700 budget.

For avoidance of doubt, my prior post was written before I saw this reply - it wasn't meant to be dismissive, I was just trying to get back to something concrete for the OP.
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

Ok, the HF suit is under 700 - it is still tan.

Didn't I say that Brooks 1818 suits are regularly available for $700 on sale?

And I didn't say "all" the suits you named were half-canvassed.

Anyway, I think you and I are on the same page more or less, other than some factual disagreements, about what the OP should probably do with his $700 budget.

For avoidance of doubt, my prior post was written before I saw this reply - it wasn't meant to be dismissive, I was just trying to get back to something concrete for the OP.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear; you did say BB suits are regularly $700. Your comment simply reminded me of another option within OP's budget and was posting that more for OP's benefit in case he wanted to explore other options. I agree that we are pretty much on the same page except for some factual disagreements. But isn't the main purpose of active participation in any internet forum to blow minor disagreements way out of proportion?
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

... isn't the main purpose of active participation in any internet forum to blow minor disagreements way out of proportion?

I think you have attained the internet equivalent of nirvana. smile.gif
post #37 of 51
And OP: reidrothchild is correct that at sub-700 on sale right now, a Brooks Brothers suit is an excellent option to consider. It would be my personal preference over the J. Crew Ludlow for both value and style. I would recommend the Fitzgerald or Regent cut, each being relatively modern yet classic. The Milano cut is more fashion-forward, but even that is more conservative than the Ludlow.
post #38 of 51

If you don't need the suit immediately, this is the perfect situation in which to go Kent Wang: http://www.kentwang.com/about/suits

 

He'll send you out a trial suit in a standard (and slim) size. Take photos, send them to Kent, and he'll work with you to tweak the measurements. If you like it as-is, keep it. If it needs tweaks, send it back, and Kent will make you one to your specs (fabric, size, details).

post #39 of 51
also check the 50 million page suit supply thread
v nice suits for the price
post #40 of 51

At 5'10 150 lbs and limited to $700, just buy whatever you can find that fits you.

 

I'm a skinny guy too at 5'7 130, and the only thing I can get to fit me off the rack is Hugo Boss. They may be crap quality, but it's better than wearing a pillow case with perfect construction. I tried on more expensive makes like Zegna and Prada, and even in their slim fits they wouldn't sit right.

post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 

Good question: I'll probably wear the suit less than 10 days a year, maybe only 2-3, so perhaps construction quality is not that high of a priority. Although I do care about comfort and a quality look.

post #42 of 51
Thread Starter 

Thanks for this advise, it sounds accurate.

 

In terms of who I am: 54 year old research engineer (PhD) trying to make a career change from one industry to another. I rarely wear suits, so it's good to learn from other's experience.

 

The J Crew suit that seemed to fit well was a 38S coat and 31/30 pants.

post #43 of 51
Thread Starter 

Great advice. My past history with suits is that they have rarely looked very good on my skinny frame. But the J Crew did to my surprise.

post #44 of 51
Thread Starter 

Thanks, although Suit Supply would mean ordering throught the internet since they don't have a shop in San Francisco where I live.

post #45 of 51
Thread Starter 

The J Crew suit I am considering is half canvassed and uses fabric from Lanificio di Tollegno, an old Italian mill.

http://www.tollegno1900.it/default.aspx

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/TheLudlowShop/PRDOVR~11707/11707.jsp

 

Based on all the helpful comments received, it's apparently not a terrible deal even at a retail of $650+tax, although some find the J Crew style objectionable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit looked great on me but...