or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013) - Page 25

post #361 of 760
I think this was a pretty good epi. We have Betty completely pull a Don on Don. She totally did a "fuck 'em and forget 'em" Don Draper style on him. However, prior to that, we had the scene with both Don and Betty singing along with the kid which was probably the most engaged and real family like scene those three have ever been involved in. Great juxtaposition between that little family scene and Betty totally freezing Don out the next morning at breakfast.

Roger...poor Roger; he really is a child. Daughter bans him from the grandkid and he gets completely cock-blocked by the mystery man with Joan. Speaking of the mystery man...him and Joan going to the beach? Huh. Cannot wait to see how this character leaves the show and I feel we are building up to his demise/departure in the season finale.

Peggy's outcome was predictable. That break up has been telegraphed all season and the boyfriend has now fully been radicalized along the lines of the Weather Underground. I about spit my drink when he said something about Peggy taking the cop's side. Yes, the cop taking the report on your stabbing had a "side" and it was in opposition to you, Mr. Stab-wound-victim.

Almost had a lesbian scene. I had a sad we did not.
post #362 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think this was a pretty good epi. We have Betty completely pull a Don on Don. She totally did a "fuck 'em and forget 'em" Don Draper style on him. However, prior to that, we had the scene with both Don and Betty singing along with the kid which was probably the most engaged and real family like scene those three have ever been involved in. Great juxtaposition between that little family scene and Betty totally freezing Don out the next morning at breakfast.
.

Don is trying to tell himself that he just wants to bone Betty but he knows its not true. He's attracted to her (who wouldn't be?), but he's also drawn to the possibility that he could be part of his family again. As a guy who had an on-again/off-again thing with the mother of my child for several years, I know how strong that pull is. Children hold bad marriages together all the time, and that force holding them together doesn't just disappear because the marriage ends.

Does Draper really fuck em and forget em, though? Seems to me he falls hard every single time, even if it doesn't last. I know we don't see every Draper conquest, but the ones we do almost always seem to consume him.
post #363 of 760
Glad to see the show back on track after the previous episode. Good set-ups for interesting possibilities with Peggy, Don and others...
post #364 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Don is trying to tell himself that he just wants to bone Betty but he knows its not true. He's attracted to her (who wouldn't be?), but he's also drawn to the possibility that he could be part of his family again. As a guy who had an on-again/off-again thing with the mother of my child for several years, I know how strong that pull is. Children hold bad marriages together all the time, and that force holding them together doesn't just disappear because the marriage ends.

Does Draper really fuck em and forget em, though? Seems to me he falls hard every single time, even if it doesn't last. I know we don't see every Draper conquest, but the ones we do almost always seem to consume him.

I think he follows a cycle which always ends with "forget 'em." He's very smitten at the start, usually gets a little obsessed, and then it's time to freeze them out and forget them. He's done exactly that cycle with the doc's wife this year with the final part of the cycle happening in the elevator last epi.
post #365 of 760
That final scene with both doors being shut on Peggy, after Abe breaking up with her; something big is going to happen to her story line.
post #366 of 760
Happy to see Betty hot again. shog[1].gif
post #367 of 760
So is Bob Benson simply Don Draper (notice the similarity in the names) when he was first starting out? No discernible prior life, same sort of look (fit, tan, hair), Bob seems to be starting a similar relationship with Joan as Don had with the real Don Draper's wife, and we know Don can lie well and we've seen a few examples of Bob lying.
post #368 of 760
Interesting idea. He does have some similarities to Don the eager fur salesman.
post #369 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So is Bob Benson simply Don Draper (notice the similarity in the names) when he was first starting out? No discernible prior life, same sort of look (fit, tan, hair), Bob seems to be starting a similar relationship with Joan as Don had with the real Don Draper's wife, and we know Don can lie well and we've seen a few examples of Bob lying.

 

Hm, I think you guys ascribe too much importance to the character.

post #370 of 760
This show is very deliberately written. There's no way they are spending this much time with Benson if he's not important.
post #371 of 760
Have we ever seen Benson alone? He might not be that important if the cameras have never followed him home.

On the other hand, it may be immediately obvious why he is important the second you see him out of sight of the office.
post #372 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So is Bob Benson simply Don Draper (notice the similarity in the names) when he was first starting out? No discernible prior life, same sort of look (fit, tan, hair), Bob seems to be starting a similar relationship with Joan as Don had with the real Don Draper's wife, and we know Don can lie well and we've seen a few examples of Bob lying.

It appears, for the first time ever, Piob and Rolling Stone are having the same thought.

Rolling Stone - Who Is Bob Benson?
post #373 of 760
It would be a nice parallel to Draper if Benson assumed his phony identity to dodge the draft (nice contrast w/ Greg, too).
post #374 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenPyle View Post

It would be a nice parallel to Draper if Benson assumed his phony identity to dodge the draft (nice contrast w/ Greg, too).

This is an excellent thought.
post #375 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenPyle View Post

It would be a nice parallel to Draper if Benson assumed his phony identity to dodge the draft (nice contrast w/ Greg, too).

Not really, it would be rather pointless. Don's past and the way he presently carries himself are linked. What would that have to do with Bob Benson?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)