or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013) - Page 18

post #256 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I am always waiting for who Megan's mother is going to bang next. I think she's lined up to screw the good Doctor soon.

Pulling Megan's panties off and rattling the walls banging while the mother opens a bottle of wine was classic and hilarious.

What I'm interested to see is the fall out of Peter telling Trudy about the father. The father must want to be outed, based on his actions and that conversation, so I think Pete is going to lose on that gambit in the end.

I'm thinking that the FIL thought Pete was at the whore house to sleep with Bob, who was accompanying him, and therefore pulled Vick's and called Pete disgusting. If the FIL thought Pete was just there to get his dick wet then I don't think it would have been a big deal, like Ken put it.
post #257 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I'm thinking that the FIL thought Pete was at the whore house to sleep with Bob, who was accompanying him, and therefore pulled Vick's and called Pete disgusting. If the FIL thought Pete was just there to get his dick wet then I don't think it would have been a big deal, like Ken put it.

Interesting thought; you could well be correct there.
post #258 of 760
The father knows that Pete is seen as an asshole by everyone, especially his wife, so he didn't give a fuck. He wants Pete gone and knew his daughter would assume Pete to be trying to lie his way out of something else. Had Pete told her first he may have had a case but it looked like he was trying to cover his own ass. The dad played the cards perfectly and Pete is fucked on both ends now.
post #259 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I'm thinking that the FIL thought Pete was at the whore house to sleep with Bob, who was accompanying him, and therefore pulled Vick's and called Pete disgusting. If the FIL thought Pete was just there to get his dick wet then I don't think it would have been a big deal, like Ken put it.

WHy would they go to a whore house to have sex with each other? That would eliminate the need for said whore house. Those rooms are surely reserved for the whores to do their whoring.
post #260 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by gort View Post

WHy would they go to a whore house to have sex with each other? That would eliminate the need for said whore house. Those rooms are surely reserved for the whores to do their whoring.

To get away from spouses? Just throwing out the idea because it seems to me that the FIL's overreaction was a bit much considering he was in said whorehouse, a rather compromising position. For him to spill the beans on Pete it would have had to be such a great offense to overshadow his own. It was just a thought.

edit* Also, Bob Benson and his shit eating grin cracks me up. When he had the two coffees while the partners were in the conference room...I died. He's becoming an even greater caricature of the brown nosing Pete Campbell of Season 1.
post #261 of 760
I'm not sold the FIL thinks Peter was having a gay liaison but think it's an interesting interpretation. I'm still baffled the FIL would go nuclear like that and tend to think he's doing it as he wants to be forced into outing himself.
post #262 of 760
He went nuclear because he busted Pete, who he already hates, cheating on his daughter in a damn whorehouse. He has nothing to lose here. He told Pete to "do the right thing" and Pete went and fucked that up. Snitching on the dad not only makes him look like a little bitch but it also makes him out himself for being there too. I think the dad's reaction was a result of his pent up hatred for Pete and the fact that Pete was making threatening phone calls all day. I don't think the gay angle or the dad wanting to be outed are the motivation for it.

It just goes to prove that Pete is a moron and should have just sucked it up and moved on rather than his usual approach of sniveling and looking even worse.
post #263 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post

He went nuclear because he busted Pete, who he already hates, cheating on his daughter in a damn whorehouse. He has nothing to lose here. He told Pete to "do the right thing" and Pete went and fucked that up. Snitching on the dad not only makes him look like a little bitch but it also makes him out himself for being there too. I think the dad's reaction was a result of his pent up hatred for Pete and the fact that Pete was making threatening phone calls all day. I don't think the gay angle or the dad wanting to be outed are the motivation for it.

It just goes to prove that Pete is a moron and should have just sucked it up and moved on rather than his usual approach of sniveling and looking even worse.

BINGO!
post #264 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I'm not sold the FIL thinks Peter was having a gay liaison but think it's an interesting interpretation. I'm still baffled the FIL would go nuclear like that and tend to think he's doing it as he wants to be forced into outing himself.

You don't have a daughter.
FIL refers to Trudy as his "little girl" and that is spot on. The shit in your own life can drag you down and you deal with it and roll on but a father will swim through burning shit to protect his daughter from anything that will hurt her. So in FIL's mind, fuck Pete, the little scumbag will never touch his daughter again. Having to deal with telling your wife you were tagging a 200 pound negress is nothing compared to protecting your kids.
Hell, after 30 plus years of marriage they might even have a tacit "arrangement."
post #265 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

You don't have a daughter.
FIL refers to Trudy as his "little girl" and that is spot on. The shit in your own life can drag you down and you deal with it and roll on but a father will swim through burning shit to protect his daughter from anything that will hurt her. So in FIL's mind, fuck Pete, the little scumbag will never touch his daughter again. Having to deal with telling your wife you were tagging a 200 pound negress is nothing compared to protecting your kids.
Hell, after 30 plus years of marriage they might even have a tacit "arrangement."

VERY good points.
post #266 of 760
And is he even aware of their current separation?

I would guess not from Trudy's actions.
post #267 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

And is he even aware of their current separation?

I would guess not from Trudy's actions.

I don't think he was either as it seemed Trudy's goal was to keep up appearances to the entire world which I assume would include her parents.

Did anyone else catch that Roger was using the shoe shine kit from his deceased shoe shine before he ran off to the airport? While small, I think that is somewhat significant in the development of his character.
Edited by whiteslashasian - 5/8/13 at 11:49am
post #268 of 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

You don't have a daughter.
FIL refers to Trudy as his "little girl" and that is spot on. The shit in your own life can drag you down and you deal with it and roll on but a father will swim through burning shit to protect his daughter from anything that will hurt her. So in FIL's mind, fuck Pete, the little scumbag will never touch his daughter again. Having to deal with telling your wife you were tagging a 200 pound negress is nothing compared to protecting your kids.
Hell, after 30 plus years of marriage they might even have a tacit "arrangement."

I understand what you are saying but I do not believe you are considering the whole picture. Let's use your thesis of "a father will swim through burning shit to protect his daughter." So how do you protect Trudy in this case? Personally, I would smack Peter and tell him to stop as my first set of actions. At the very least I would have a conversation with him albeit a heated one. If the goal was to actually protect my daughter I would not as my first actions:

a) Sever business ties with my SIL
b) Necessarily tell my daughter, as this is 100% bound to hurt her, without first seeing if I could personally get the SIL to stop
c) Expose my daughter to knowing her father is a whoremonger with a kink
d) Pile on the shame of the mother to the daughter when it becomes known daddy is a whoremonger

Can you explain how any of those points follows your thesis? IMO, none do and all would seem to be purpose built to cause her harm...or to force the issue as I'm wondering.

Really, if the goal is protection of Trudy, this guy should win a prize in bad strategy.
post #269 of 760
This was my favorite episode all season. Roger was smooth, Pete a total scum, Joan was dead-on saying Don acts like the world revolves around him.
post #270 of 760
What I've seen no one mention was the irony of Peter going off on Don for losing Jag and then losing possibly their biggest account through his own actions...while Don goes and wins Chevy while creating a merger. So Don fires a slime ball customer while Peter gets caught being a slime ball and gets fired by a customer. Peter tries to orchestrate an IPO and fails while Don apparently succeeds in a merger over a late night drink.

Found this and it made me laugh:
Quote:

For reference, here is that existential hierarchy, in order from “things it is good to be” to “things it is bad to be” on Mad Men:

1. Don
2. Wealthy client
3. Wealthy person
4. Overweight client
5. White male at SCDP
6. White male
7. Catholic male
8. Jewish male
9. Sexually available white female
10. Secretary
11. Fertile wife
12. Professional woman
13. Sexually unavailable white female
14. Black woman
15. Dead person
16. Prostitute
17. Black prostitute
18. Dead prostitute

No. 17 is a sad new addition, revealed when Pete Campbell, who previously has demonstrated if not racial sensitivity a sort of moderate disgust at overt racism, retreated into some sort of atavistic racist freakout over his father-in-law’s sexual preferences. While it was too bad that the nice-looking lady with the pleasant smile was henceforth referred to as “the biggest, blackest prostitute you’ve ever seen,” Pete’s punishment was swift. Pete’s two-level freakout (1. racist; 2. angry at his father-in-law) truly blew up in his face. Or to put it in terms of the above: Trudy, as an 11, didn’t want to know these things about her father, a 2, and the prostitute, a 17, from her husband, a 5. Trudy is very conscious of her elevenhood in this situation, and by the logic of the show even if she’s not racist herself, finding out that her father is paying a human being 15 full levels below his station for sex must be shocking. She’d been working out her relationship with Pete; she has been adored by her father her entire life. With one swift prick he has ruined everything, reminding her of how vulnerable she truly is. Happy Mother’s Day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)