or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread - Page 40

post #586 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

This is cotton fabric. Part of the charm are the creases. Doesn't have to be super clean like wool. My take is that robot poses don't show how well a jacket wears because it's a totally artificial setup. I think the jacket looks good and I would wear that like a muthaf'er. Well done, bamboo. Good choice. 

You have poor understanding of back balance, there is clearly a small collar gap.
post #587 of 2060

I just visited Peter Lee (Lee Baron) and was one of five foreigners in the shop (all very well dressed, which I took as a good sign). I ordered two overcoats, a suit and five shirts and it ran about 2.3k USD. Overcoats were ~$600 each and the suit, fully canvased was $710 with the shirts ranging between $60 and $100 US. Peter said he was VERY busy and based on how many people I saw at his shop it certainly looked that way. He seems to know his business and was very pleasant.

 

I also dropped by Zee's and picked up two pair of shoes. I'll post pics of everything when i get them back in a week or so.

post #588 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

You have poor understanding of back balance, there is clearly a small collar gap.

Show me one of your cotton jackets and then we can talk. Granted the back is tighter than ideal, it is still heaps better than some of the fits I've seen on this forum. At the end of the day, it is an acceptable garment to wear. Don't assume you know my reference point or what my knowledge of tailoring is. While your stuck into HK stuff, I've moved on from that. Never assume.
Edited by iSurg - 4/26/13 at 3:44am
post #589 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

Show me one of your cotton jackets and then we can talk. Granted the back is tighter than ideal, it is still heaps better than some of the fits I've seen on this forum. At the end of the day, it is an acceptable garment to wear. Don't assume you know my reference point or what my knowledge of tailoring is. While your stuck into HK stuff, I've moved on from that. Never assume.

Well people asking for improvements, if everyone is not being constructive, how can any OP or myself learns.
I have never said the garment is not acceptable, and I appreciate your comments.

I am happy that someone is challenging me, I miss that feeling.
post #590 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post

Multi post on Fitting thread. 

 

Il Sarto.  Kerry Knoll Summon cotton 2 pc.  Half lining.  I appreciate any comment.

 

Did I trim too much on the back?  

 

Their starting price for 2pc is HKD 5200.  Full canvas +600.  Mine is total HKD 7100 due to fabric.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AppleMark

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AppleMark

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AppleMark

 

 

 

Thank you very much to everybody who replied. 

 

Sleeve length is probably more due to short shirt sleeve.

Trouser length is a tad longer.   Yes.  They told me fabrics are pre-washed but I thought it is safer to go long rather than short.

 

Collar.  I know what it means now.  I was not careful enough about it.  I take this into consideration next time.

Back.  At the second fit,  they asked me if I wanted trim further just a bit.  Maybe we did it too much.

 

I hope this was helpful to members looking around mid-priced HKG tailors. 

post #591 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post


Thank you very much to everybody who replied. 

Sleeve length is probably more due to short shirt sleeve.
Trouser length is a tad longer.   Yes.  They told me fabrics are pre-washed but I thought it is safer to go long rather than short.

Collar.  I know what it means now.  I was not careful enough about it.  I take this into consideration next time.
Back.  At the second fit,  they asked me if I wanted trim further just a bit.  Maybe we did it too much.

I hope this was helpful to members looking around mid-priced HKG tailors. 

This is probably the first time I see someone using this tailor. Thanks for the sharing.
post #592 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemaverick View Post

I'm looking for tailors near the San Francisco bay area, any suggestions?

Spoon Tailor in SF
post #593 of 2060
bamboo, all the suggestions here are valid and pretty bold of u to get a cotton suit which turned out awesome. Giving me ideas new time I am at Il Sarto.
post #594 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemaverick View Post

I'm looking for tailors near the San Francisco bay area, any suggestions?

Try posting in a thread called 'San Francisco', not one called 'Hong Kong'? :)

post #595 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib View Post

Also, I recently started a first commission with A Man Hing Cheong as I desperately need to find a new HK tailor since Chan's output has become quite inconsistent.

My first impressions were good and they seemed to have a good understanding of what I was after. Have my first fitting in a few weeks and am looking forward to seeing how it shapes up (particularly as there seems to be a lot less info on the forum about A Man compared to some of the other HK tailors).

Dib

Please share your experiences; while he has a great rep, there's not much on him here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock14 View Post

I just visited Peter Lee (Lee Baron) and was one of five foreigners in the shop (all very well dressed, which I took as a good sign). I ordered two overcoats, a suit and five shirts and it ran about 2.3k USD. Overcoats were ~$600 each and the suit, fully canvased was $710 with the shirts ranging between $60 and $100 US. Peter said he was VERY busy and based on how many people I saw at his shop it certainly looked that way. He seems to know his business and was very pleasant.

That is a large order; assume you have worked with him before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

This is probably the first time I see someone using this tailor. Thanks for the sharing.

+2; turned out pretty well.
post #596 of 2060

I will post some picture of internal and detail of the suit.  It may be of interest to other members.


Edited by bamboo - 4/26/13 at 5:26pm
post #597 of 2060

No, first time with Peter Lee. I guess large order is relative. I told Peter I was giving him a try and if satisfied, I'd return. If not I'd try my luck elsewhere. I've got my fitting with him this afternoon so I'll get a sense of his work quickly.

post #598 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post

I will post some picture of internal and detail of the suit.  It may be of interest to other members.

There are some frays, but look generally OK. 

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

post #599 of 2060

I am wondering which is the best Hong Kong tailor around that travel to the US. I am curious who does the best work on custom shirts and suits, also the ones with the best fabric and what the prices will be?

post #600 of 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeairx View Post

I am wondering which is the best Hong Kong tailor around that travel to the US. I am curious who does the best work on custom shirts and suits, also the ones with the best fabric and what the prices will be?

Ascot Chang is the best shirtmaker in HK that travels to the US. Shirts range from $150 and up. Gordon Yao and WW Chan are probably the 2 best suit makers and start from $1300.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread