or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread - Page 31

post #451 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuday View Post


Please give me your input on this, might be in HK as soon as next month..


I have no idea who can make it but sending email with pictures to tailors may help.  

post #452 of 1394
^Good idea.
post #453 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorialist View Post

Was in The Armoury yesterday (Abercrombie & Fitch location) for the first time and felt the staff was not helpful and in fact border line disinterested.

Has anyone tried bespoke at Moustache?

http://www.moustachehongkong.com

I have tried. They're not tailors themselves and their style is 70's inspired. I still got a good suit all things considered as it was my first, but looking back I would have more requests in terms of styling. A positive from them is that because they're white/proficient in English it'll be much easier to get your point across.
post #454 of 1394

Hello everyone (newbie here)

 

Like a bunch of others, I am going to HK for a business trip and wanted to get a couple of suits made. (Feb 2013)

 

 

I’ve been reading all the threads, doing my research and thought I would share some recent info.

 

WW Chan just quoted me HK$16,800 for a 2pc suit made with the Zegna Trofeo and the Scabal Blue Label 130's fabrics.  That's a lot of cash for a HK suit.  

 

So I wanted to ask the usual crew here if I am better off getting a Burberry suit for US$1K or go to a Lee Baron or E. Italia Tailors (Edward Tam) for a lower end bespoke.

 

I'm looking for a more slim cut, less boxy, more
 

Any opinions???

post #455 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Hank View Post

WW Chan just quoted me HK$16,800 for a 2pc suit made with the Zegna Trofeo and the Scabal Blue Label 130's fabrics.  That's a lot of cash for a HK suit.  

So I wanted to ask the usual crew here if I am better off getting a Burberry suit for US$1K or go to a Lee Baron or E. Italia Tailors (Edward Tam) for a lower end bespoke.

I'm looking for a more slim cut, less boxy, more

 
Any opinions???

The consensus is that Chan is very good value for what they offer. If you have the time and can get a fitting or two, then its excellent value.

No to the burberry suit. If Chan is beyond your means, then consider Lee Baron. Im not sure about E Italia but if they're well regarded on here and are within your budget, then give it a go. Be aware that most of the more affordable shops will offer you fabrics from other mills, 'italian wool' and so on and so forth. If you start asking for english mills, or even proper italian fabric books that are universally known, the price can start climbing pretty quickly.
post #456 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Hank View Post

Hello everyone (newbie here)

Like a bunch of others, I am going to HK for a business trip and wanted to get a couple of suits made. (Feb 2013)


I’ve been reading all the threads, doing my research and thought I would share some recent info.

WW Chan just quoted me HK$16,800 for a 2pc suit made with the Zegna Trofeo and the Scabal Blue Label 130's fabrics.  That's a lot of cash for a HK suit.  

So I wanted to ask the usual crew here if I am better off getting a Burberry suit for US$1K or go to a Lee Baron or E. Italia Tailors (Edward Tam) for a lower end bespoke.

I'm looking for a more slim cut, less boxy, more

 
Any opinions???

Yes, that's a lot of $ but you chose expensive fabric. No to the Burberry suit.
post #457 of 1394
Anyone here know where I can get some Zegna fabrics in Hong Kong?
post #458 of 1394

Hi guys new to this forum and have been reading suit advices from you guys. Thanks alot for all the great information here.

 

I am a local hong kong-er and for the past two years I have only been wearing G2000 suits. To me there's nothing wrong with them (I know you guys might think otherwise) however I was pointed out by my supervisor (in a kind and joking way) that my suit jacket did not cover my ass. Until he mentioned it and until I confirmed it on this forum and other forums, I never really touched upon these suit rules.

 

Due to the above, I started to look for tailors in hk for suits. Besides the most recommended tailors to expats in this site, I have been asking friends and also looked around myself for tailored suits.

 

I have so far found and made suit (or jacket) from the following tailors:

(1) Christine L Tailor:

 

http://www.christinel.hk/

 

(2) Hola Classic

 

https://www.facebook.com/HOLAclassic

 

(3) Dream Bespoke

 

https://www.facebook.com/dreambespoke

 

I am also recommended another tailor but I have yet to try it out:

(4) Dragoon Francais Tailor

http://www.dragoonfrancaistailor.ecomm.hk/front/bin/home.phtml

 

 

I have ordered from the first 3 tailors but I have yet to get my suits. I have only had a first fitting with Christine L. From these 3, Christine L and Hola Classic are really cheap ones and I don't expect much (they costs aroudn $1,700 to $2,600 HKD).  As I haven't got back my suits.. I was wondering if anybody here has tried out those before? For their value I was wondering if it's actually good quality as well.

 

As for dream bespoke, they seemed to produce higher quality suits (full -canvased ) but I am still awaiting a jacket made by them. Quite pricey though at HKD 3,700 (for just the jacket) for the material I chose.

 

Again has anyone heard of dream bespoke as I've never seen ppl talk about them here. As For Dragoon Francias, my friend recommended them to me but again I am surprised nobody mentioned them given that they seemed to be a tailor shop with a long history.

 

Although it's too late to back out from my orders, I'd like to hear any feedback of the tailors above from you guys as you guys know your stuff.

 

Thanks alot and sorry for the long first post!!

post #459 of 1394
3700 HKD for full canvas is a good deal. For good quality wool, there'll be 1000 HKD worth of fabric in it at least.
post #460 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Hank View Post


WW Chan just quoted me HK$16,800 for a 2pc suit made with the Zegna Trofeo and the Scabal Blue Label 130's fabrics.  That's a lot of cash for a HK suit.  

Of course, you can get a very fine suit from Chan from good fabrics for a lot less than HK $16,800.
post #461 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post


Yes, that's a lot of $ but you chose expensive fabric. No to the Burberry suit.

Why?

post #462 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Why?

Because you're paying for an OTR designer name, not for any actual quality and not something that was made for just you? Don't even know what a Burberry suit would be like, they primarily make raincoats don't they?

Like trying to order Peking Duck at McDonald's?
Edited by MikeDT - 2/21/13 at 5:58pm
post #463 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post

3700 HKD for full canvas is a good deal. For good quality wool, there'll be 1000 HKD worth of fabric in it at least.

 

Thanks for the reply RogerC. Did you have any experiences in these tailors though? From what I know they are all opened by young men and women and seem to be a new surge of tailors (i think all of the owners  are not tailors themselves but hire tailors) . When I talked to the owner of Christine L, she said her business is mainly catering for wedding couples but make suits too. Since my supervsior said that they are ok (for the cheap price and rough wear I guess), I gave it a try and am eager to look for results. Hola Classic seems to be a tailor shop/clothing shop for modern vintage style. However, when I asked them if their suits were full-canvassed they do not seem to know what I am talking about unfortunately.... I want to try out Dragoon Francois but would like to see if there any feedback from this forum first. Thanks again.

post #464 of 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctoto11 View Post

Hi guys new to this forum and have been reading suit advices from you guys. Thanks alot for all the great information here.

 

I am a local hong kong-er and for the past two years I have only been wearing G2000 suits. To me there's nothing wrong with them (I know you guys might think otherwise) however I was pointed out by my supervisor (in a kind and joking way) that my suit jacket did not cover my ass. Until he mentioned it and until I confirmed it on this forum and other forums, I never really touched upon these suit rules.

 

Due to the above, I started to look for tailors in hk for suits. Besides the most recommended tailors to expats in this site, I have been asking friends and also looked around myself for tailored suits.

 

I have so far found and made suit (or jacket) from the following tailors:

(1) Christine L Tailor:

 

http://www.christinel.hk/

 

(2) Hola Classic

 

https://www.facebook.com/HOLAclassic

 

(3) Dream Bespoke

 

https://www.facebook.com/dreambespoke

 

I am also recommended another tailor but I have yet to try it out:

(4) Dragoon Francais Tailor

http://www.dragoonfrancaistailor.ecomm.hk/front/bin/home.phtml

 

 

I have ordered from the first 3 tailors but I have yet to get my suits. I have only had a first fitting with Christine L. From these 3, Christine L and Hola Classic are really cheap ones and I don't expect much (they costs aroudn $1,700 to $2,600 HKD).  As I haven't got back my suits.. I was wondering if anybody here has tried out those before? For their value I was wondering if it's actually good quality as well.

 

As for dream bespoke, they seemed to produce higher quality suits (full -canvased ) but I am still awaiting a jacket made by them. Quite pricey though at HKD 3,700 (for just the jacket) for the material I chose.

 

Again has anyone heard of dream bespoke as I've never seen ppl talk about them here. As For Dragoon Francias, my friend recommended them to me but again I am surprised nobody mentioned them given that they seemed to be a tailor shop with a long history.

 

Although it's too late to back out from my orders, I'd like to hear any feedback of the tailors above from you guys as you guys know your stuff.

 

Thanks alot and sorry for the long first post!!

Interesting.   Please follow up with your suits and jackets done.   I may take a look at Dreams as it is convenient location for me.

post #465 of 1394

Hi

There has been lots of great info on here re tailors in Hong Kong.  We are heading to Hong Kong in a week and are there for 8 days.  Last time we were there my husband  got a heap of shirts made and some pants with Jantzen and 4 1/2 years down the track are coming to an end. I must say they have lasted alot longer then i thought they would.   So I am on a mission to get him 

 

1.  A heap of new shirts at a reasonable price (like Jantzen was) - thinking staying with Jantzen

2.  Just pants (flat front) for in the office when he has no meetings - Jantzen

3.  A couple of new sports coats, he usually wears zegna sports coats which look beautiful - really  not sure on this one.

4.  A bespoke suit or 2 with better quality shirts - WW CHan

 

I would like any feedback on peoples recommendations for where i want to take him.  Plus any recommendations that may be better.

 

My other question is he has some really nice casual shirts  i would like copied, do you think jantzen could do this or would i be better going somewhere else.  One more thing, any good suggestions for custom made mens shoes near central.

 

Thank you for your help and responses.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread