or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread - Page 21

post #301 of 2088

Looking forward for the review on TCNY. I've always liked Asscot Chang, but they are above my budget. TCNY looks promising.

post #302 of 2088
^Thanks for the response, it helps with gauging price points. Looking at their website, I think I'd go with them...except I see it takes 3-6 weeks for a suit to be made with the 2nd fitting 3-5 weeks after. I only have 1.5 weeks in HK so I don't think I'd be able to do that. Unfortunate, their website is very clean. Perhaps they can do shirts and pants in a smaller window? I'll PM you later on for details about the referral. Thanks again!
post #303 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by who8mahrice View Post

So I'm going to HK this Dec/Jan for about 10 days or and I'm looking in to getting a suit/shirts made. I understand some of the bigger names on SF are Chan, A Man, and Jantzen. Anyone have estimates on current prices? I'd like to stay under $700 if possible, though I understand that is on the low end for bespoke. (I've only been picking up ~$200 OTR suits so far, so it'd be a big jump for me already. Not that I need the suits either, but it's a bit convenient since I'm already there).

I'd recommend Peter Lee. There's LOTS of information on the board here if you run searchers. Or even just Google 'peter lee style forum' and things should come up for you. He's great to work with and is around $700 for a suit depending on the fabric.
post #304 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by who8mahrice View Post


I missed your timing. The initial shirts took them about 1.5 weeks (and the fit was perfect straight off, but as I live in HK I could take my time and get them to make my order in batches, change collars etc). Not sure on suits timing. I'm sure they could accommodate you to a certain extent with timing + they can always mail it back to you.

Just keep in mind they're not Jantzen-like timing (i.e. turn shirts around in 2-3 days).

For pants, I bought a couple of pairs of chinos off them, great quality (and suited to HK's warmer climate) - they've also got OTR and I found their chinos to be great fit OTR with minor alterations (I just needed length - you could do it at tailors outside of TCNY and get minor stuff like waistband and length done in a couple of days in HK). Chinos cost about HKD850 from memory.

Also keep in mind that as the two founders are young by tailor standards (late 20s/early 30s), the cut, style and fabrics available are a little bit younger/slimmer - that may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste. They're also MTM, not full bespoke.
post #305 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by addedfuel View Post

Tin Lun alterations on 87, Hollywood. Sheung Wan. Great service specialising in alterations of suits. Lane Crawford, pal zileri, zegna all do their alterations here. They are often surprised to get walk-in customers because it's mostly the stores who bring them the alterations. Fair price and friendly but Cantonese Speaking.


I'm sorry but I'm new to Hong Kong and I tried to find 87 Hollywood Rd, Central on Google map and came up with the streetview. Is Tin Lun Alterations where "Cais Gallery" on the google map?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hollywood+Road,+87,+Sheung+Wan,+Hong+Kong&hl=en&ll=22.283663,114.152287&spn=0.005569,0.011705&sll=22.283783,114.152319&layer=c&cbp=13,25.13,,0,12.36&cbll=22.283663,114.152287&hnear=87+Hollywood+Rd,+Hong+Kong&t=m&panoid=_oVOwgnID2E-nIgJN0rW5g&z=17


Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhtl View Post

Awesome, thanks, will get them a go - I was going to go to YSL directly tomorrow but will try them instead, great timing! I speak Canto so that's no problems.
I'm new to Hong Kong and have a few suits that will need altering.

Do you have any feedback on their alterations?
post #306 of 2088
I ended up using YSL for the alteration (they have a tailor on-site). Please let us know if you do end up using the Hollywood Rd tailor - I couldn't find them on Google Maps either and YSL just ended up being much more convenient location-wise (though a little more expensive).

If you end up around Quarry Bay/Taikoo for whatever reason, I've got a good local tailor recommendation - again, Cantonese based.
post #307 of 2088

Tin Lun alteration's address is 87 Hollywood but the entry to the building is down a few steps on Mee Lun Street. It is to the side of CAIS Gallery. There is a metal gate you have to buzz them to get in. Located on 1st floor, sits right above the gallery.

 

I've altered things there before, and as with all alterations you have to insist on your style. I prefer tapered trousers and they didn't understand it. Otherwise good work and fair price.

post #308 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhtl View Post

If you end up around Quarry Bay/Taikoo for whatever reason, I've got a good local tailor recommendation - again, Cantonese based.
Please could you share the location details of your recommendation as well? I live near that area but being new to HK, I don't know anything about the best places to go for things in HK yet. Any cobbler recommendation in that area, by any chance?

In UK, alterations to shorten the suit jacket is £18 at the bottom or £30 at the shoulders. Are alteration prices in HK in line with that?
post #309 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by addedfuel View Post

Tin Lun alteration's address is 87 Hollywood but the entry to the building is down a few steps on Mee Lun Street. It is to the side of CAIS Gallery. There is a metal gate you have to buzz them to get in. Located on 1st floor, sits right above the gallery.

I've altered things there before, and as with all alterations you have to insist on your style. I prefer tapered trousers and they didn't understand it. Otherwise good work and fair price.
Thanks for that. I won't have trouble finding it now with those details.
I'll need the suit jacket shortened from the shoulders. In UK, it costs £18 to shorten suit jacket from the bottom or £30 to shorten from the shoulders. How does those prices compare to alteration costs in HK?
post #310 of 2088
It will be similar, those alternation requires a bit of work. Not the no brainer ones.
post #311 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylingUK View Post

Please could you share the location details of your recommendation as well? I live near that area but being new to HK, I don't know anything about the best places to go for things in HK yet. Any cobbler recommendation in that area, by any chance?
In UK, alterations to shorten the suit jacket is £18 at the bottom or £30 at the shoulders. Are alteration prices in HK in line with that?

The tailor is called Best Alterations Co. and it's on Finnie St in Quarry Bay, about four-five shops down from the intersection traffic light with Kings Rd - it's a very small, two sisters-run operation. I don't have their ph number with me but I'll be sure to find it next time I'm there.

I've found them to be quite good with simple stuff, but they don't shorten suit sleeves at the shoulders unless it's a complicated job and you insist - they've told me previously they have a clear preference against that for whatever reason (I think it's mainly a mix of time - they're a small operation and have, from what I can see, a good amount of work already - and clientèle (when I have complicated alteration jobs, I usually go back to the brand that made the suit)). I've only used them to do minor shortening of suit sleeves (i.e. 1/4 to 1/2 inch shortening) so I'm happy with sleeve alterations, but that's obviously something you'll have to consider.

All the other jobs they've done for me have been fine and definitely cheap (shortening pants is HK35 and altering waistbands on pants is HK85 from memory). Just be clear on what you want - they're Cantonese only and probably not the best at giving you fashion advice. Best of luck.

BTW cobbler recommendation - there's a few shoe repair places outside the D2 MTR exit at Central (there's a whole row of little shops doing random things) - try the one that's in the middle of that row, I've used them a few times for simple sole replacements and they've been solid. About HKD90 to lay rubber over leather soles. Again, mostly Cantonese but they probably get enough English speaking customers to have decent English.
post #312 of 2088
Many thanks for this. Good to know a few places that I can trust in Hong Kong. Cheers.
post #313 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhtl View Post

BTW cobbler recommendation - there's a few shoe repair places outside the D2 MTR exit at Central (there's a whole row of little shops doing random things) - try the one that's in the middle of that row, I've used them a few times for simple sole replacements and they've been solid. About HKD90 to lay rubber over leather soles. Again, mostly Cantonese but they probably get enough English speaking customers to have decent English.

Seconded. The guys outside D2 are competent and reasonable.

post #314 of 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhtl View Post

The tailor is called Best Alterations Co. and it's on Finnie St in Quarry Bay...

Just to add a couple of points:

- It's actually called Professional Alterations Co.

- If you turn right from the B exit at the Quarry Bay MTR station, it's directly across the road.

- They do speak English! Passable English anyway from one of the sisters.

- They slimmed the sleeves of a couple of suit jackets, as well as the legs of a suit pant, for me the other day and did a reasonable job (for one of them, better than the YSL tailor who slimmed it down way too tight). Slimming suit sleeves cost about HKD150 from memory (don't quote me but it'll be around there).
post #315 of 2088
I'm going to be visiting Hong Kong for a week and want to have a suit made for =<$500. (I know it's not a lot to work with.)

What are some notable tailors you guys would recommend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread