I've read through the thread going back to 2010, and also looked through quite a few other threads. SF is a treasure trove of information, so a big thank you to both the former and current active members of the community!
I have an HK trip coming up (will be in town for ~2.5 weeks), and plan on getting a few suits/shirts made. My current plan is to head over to Lai Sifu for a few suits, and then just go to Lee Baron for shirts. I travel a lot for work, so would only want non-iron shirts.
I have had a suit, and many shirts, made by Jantzen in the past. The shirts were okay, but the suit left a lot to be desired. The reason I am going with LB over Jantzen is because a) ability to pre-wash fabric before making the shirt, b) Peter being a much nicer guy, c) ease of re-ordering from overseas
A few questions before I pull the trigger on HK:
1) I had originally planned on getting 1 suit from Gordon Yao, and 1-2 from Dream Bespoke or Lee Baron. Based on some further reading and recommendations via PM, I am planning on heading to Lai Sifu instead (price point seems similar to DB / LB). For those who have compared between DB/LB/Lai Sifu, is this a sound plan? Seems like Lai Sifu offers better quality than a "mid-range" tailor, at mid range prices. I have reached out to all of the tailors, and getting the suiting/shirting made during my timeframe will not be an issue.
2) In the spirit of contributing to the forum, I took GBR's bespoke suit attribute list, and tweaked it to fit my needs. The list is below - my question is: is there anything else that I am missing?
3) I also created a shirt attribute list. I would appreciate your feedback on that as well!
- Canvas: Full
- Breast: Single
- # of buttons for suit: 2. Horn buttons
- Buttonholes: handstitched
- Lapel: Notch, button hole w/ flower cord, Soft roll/belly
- Cuff buttons: Functional, 4 buttons
- Suit lining: Bemberg Cupro. Matching
- Pockets: Straight, flaps
- Outside ticket pocket: Yes, left side
- Inside pockets: Need one for phone on right side, and pen on right side
- Back vents: double side
- Label inside: Name & e-mail
- During fitting, check for..
- High arm holes*
- Right amount of shirt cuff shows*
- Collar gap
- Shirt collar meets lapel
- Belt loops, adjusters, or braces: Belt loops
- French bearer: Yes
- Fly type: Zippers
- Cuffs: No
- Pleats: No
- Break type:
- Crotch reinforcement: Yes
- Width of bottoms
- Lining on legs: None
- Pockets on seam or slanting: Slight slant
- Coin pocket: No
- Fob pocket: No
- Back pockets: dual, button through
- During fitting, check for..
- Bring dress shoes, check break
- Check draping front/back/sides
- Collar type: Semi spread
- Collar fusing: No
- Removable stays: Yes
- Split yoke: Yes
- Pleat type: None
- Darts: None
- Button type: MOP
- Cuff type: Scalloped cuff, two buttons
- Sleeve gauntlet button: Yes
- Placket: Yes
- Pocket: No
- Gussets: Butterfly
- Monogram: No
- During the fitting, check for..
- High armholes (can you lift your arms without untucking shirt?)
- Fit, front, back, sides (have someone take a picture of you while standing at a neutral position)
- Pattern matching at seams