or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread - Page 104

post #1546 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Car View Post

Now, Lai sifu delivery time is relatively fast. He also do half -canvass at cheaper price.

Whether you like his work or not is completely personal taste. You will have no advantage as to his other customers.

Did you make a suit from Dream Bespoke? Please give us own own personal comment.

Haha, Car, I didn't want to and don't ask for any advantage from Lai.

Yes, I have a suit made by Lai thru Peter Lee and a suit made by DB.

However, I am not interested to write any reviews on them on the net.cool.gif
post #1547 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishball View Post

So, if I order 2pcs suit, what is the advantage then?

Based on my own experience, the advantages of CMT at Lai Cfu' is the quality of his work in particular good fitting, modern style and very thin shoulder. I previously considered waiting for months was still worth. It's good to know that he starts his own business and will produce his work much faster!
post #1548 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishball View Post


Haha, Car, I didn't want to and don't ask for any advantage from Lai.

Yes, I have a suit made by Lai thru Peter Lee and a suit made by DB.

However, I am not interested to write any reviews on them on the net.cool.gif


Fair enough, but Lai will pay more attention to his own customers now.  Meanwhile, Peter Lee is lai customer.  When he made the suit for you, he work for his boss and Peter Lee is his boss customer.

post #1549 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRock View Post


Fair enough, but Lai will pay more attention to his own customers now.  Meanwhile, Peter Lee is lai customer.  When he made the suit for you, he work for his boss and Peter Lee is his boss customer.

haha, I think Peter is still Lai's boss in the sense that he is still Peter subcontactor.
If you guy like his work, that is fine. Feel free to go.

BTW, ask Lai don't smoke that much whenever and whoever when you meet him smile.gif
post #1550 of 1983
Car,

Will Lai do the hand stitched body canvass and hand padded lapel as default?
What kind of canvass he is using? Is it english horse hair?
post #1551 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishball View Post

haha, I think Peter is still Lai's boss in the sense that he is still Peter subcontactor.
If you guy like his work, that is fine. Feel free to go.

BTW, ask Lai don't smoke that much whenever and whoever when you meet him smile.gif

I welcome any guys go to Peter Lee and ask for Lai sifu. I hope he can earn enough for his living. It is his personal wish to start his own business. According to his age and health, he is better to reduce smoking .
post #1552 of 1983
Well
I guess I should go to that tailor if I used PL before and get same quality with cheaper price ?

Good to know! Hmm.but does he carry any material at his place ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifilover View Post

Based on my own experience, the advantages of CMT at Lai Cfu' is the quality of his work in particular good fitting, modern style and very thin shoulder. I previously considered waiting for months was still worth. It's good to know that he starts his own business and will produce his work much faster!
post #1553 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishball View Post

Car,

Will Lai do the hand stitched body canvass and hand padded lapel as default?
What kind of canvass he is using? Is it english horse hair?

I am not a tailor, better for people to ask Lai sifu or Peter Lee directly. Lai sifu share my place by using upstair for his own use. Lai sifu is totally independant in his own business.
post #1554 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Lo View Post
 

O, just realize that the PM message from MODA to me being posted here. So let me also post my reply. 

 

Alex, my suit is not the lower range suit in your shop, and I told your tailor and your sales that I don't want a fused suit, they said its ok. However, at the day i take the suit, your staff told me  that it is a fused one. And he said that he cant make any changes this time, if i want a full canvas one just pay more 800 for it. I am sure that i will pay 800 more for the full canvas one if he tell me in advance. 

its true that you cheaper than the top end tailor in HK, but not the mid level one. And the fabric you use is 2-3 fold then the original price. 

I dont think I will remake my suit anymore. 

Sorry about that

 

Can you post those pictures when you have time?

 

If they offer to remake the suit for free I don't know why you don't take them up on it? You'll get a new suit at least. Anyway I'm interested in their craftsmanship. How much did you pay for your suit?

post #1555 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Car View Post

I am not a tailor, better for people to ask Lai sifu or Peter Lee directly. Lai sifu share my place by using upstair for his own use. Lai sifu is totally independant in his own business.

I am thinking if Lai is charging the similar price of DB, will his work using similar material and method as DB, since few sifu will provide this kind of work in the mid range tailors.

For myself, I provided my own canvas to both Peter and Dream Bespoke when I ordered. But by default DB used english canvas AFAIK.

No problem, just asking.
or let those protenial customer ask.bounce2.gif
post #1556 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbigJohnny View Post

Well
I guess I should go to that tailor if I used PL before and get same quality with cheaper price ?

Good to know! Hmm.but does he carry any material at his place ?

As far as I understand, Lai's cost is lower than PL. He only accepts CMT at the moment.
post #1557 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Lo View Post
 

O, just realize that the PM message from MODA to me being posted here. So let me also post my reply. 

 

Alex, my suit is not the lower range suit in your shop, and I told your tailor and your sales that I don't want a fused suit, they said its ok. However, at the day i take the suit, your staff told me  that it is a fused one. And he said that he cant make any changes this time, if i want a full canvas one just pay more 800 for it. I am sure that i will pay 800 more for the full canvas one if he tell me in advance. 

its true that you cheaper than the top end tailor in HK, but not the mid level one. And the fabric you use is 2-3 fold then the original price. 

I dont think I will remake my suit anymore. 

Sorry about that

 

Hi Kenny I will speak to my staff again tomorrow but I wanted to make sure of a few things. From your messages you mentioned you said you didn't want a fused suit, so you actually paid for a half canvas / full canvas surcharge and it wasn't done? If this is the case this is very big issue and I will definitely have a serious talk w/ them. However if you're saying that you had assumed your suit wouldn't be fused since you had purchased a more expensive one then I apologize for the confusion. All our starting prices are for fused suits and there's an option to pay a surcharge for half / full canvas at the INITIAL ordering stage. The staff have to be told prior to suit construction and you need to specify if you want a half canvas or full canvas. Anyhow either way I'd offer you a remake no matter what the case but just wanted to make things clear. 

post #1558 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbigJohnny View Post

Well
I guess I should go to that tailor if I used PL before and get same quality with cheaper price ?

Good to know! Hmm.but does he carry any material at his place ?

No, Lai does not carry fabric. He just sell his handwork. He has no money to invest for fabric. He has been moonlight alternation for Canali for very long time too. If he is free, he will alternate clothes for famous brand.

One reason, he told me he wanted to work independent is he had to handle 100-200 suits per month when he work for his previous boss. He is 71 years old now and he cannot stand for such heavy workload. His present target is 20 suits per month. Now he work one suit per day, cutting and canvassing by himself takes more than half day and then send to coat maker. Long before when my jacket was made by him, the canvass of the jacket was prepared by a old lady in mirador building instead of him. I hope he can redce gambling by staying away from Mirador while most tailors like to gamble.
post #1559 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Lo View Post
 

O, just realize that the PM message from MODA to me being posted here. So let me also post my reply. 

 

Alex, my suit is not the lower range suit in your shop, and I told your tailor and your sales that I don't want a fused suit, they said its ok. However, at the day i take the suit, your staff told me  that it is a fused one. And he said that he cant make any changes this time, if i want a full canvas one just pay more 800 for it. I am sure that i will pay 800 more for the full canvas one if he tell me in advance. 

its true that you cheaper than the top end tailor in HK, but not the mid level one. And the fabric you use is 2-3 fold then the original price. 

I dont think I will remake my suit anymore. 

Sorry about that

 

Hi Kenny,

 

I'd like to say I'm very sorry about the experience you had with us and I'm surprised you never asked to speak to me directly considering I even met you once in the shop when you dropped by. When our tailor mentioned that he couldn't make changes to your suit after making it, it is true as a fused suit cannot be "altered" into a full canvas suit. That being said, we would have been more than happy to remake the suit for you for free after your function as you know that our store has a free remake policy when customers are unsatisfied with the final product. Again, whether you choose to use us again in the future is up to you, but I would like to extend my offer to you to remake your suit free of charge. I just want to clear the air instead of having inaccurate information about us being posted here. Our company does have a remake policy for products that the client are unhappy with or if we made an error with the order. Thanks. 

 

-Chris

post #1560 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Lo View Post
 

O, just realize that the PM message from MODA to me being posted here. So let me also post my reply. 

 

Alex, my suit is not the lower range suit in your shop, and I told your tailor and your sales that I don't want a fused suit, they said its ok. However, at the day i take the suit, your staff told me  that it is a fused one. And he said that he cant make any changes this time, if i want a full canvas one just pay more 800 for it. I am sure that i will pay 800 more for the full canvas one if he tell me in advance. 

its true that you cheaper than the top end tailor in HK, but not the mid level one. And the fabric you use is 2-3 fold then the original price. 

I dont think I will remake my suit anymore. 

Sorry about that

Also in regards to pricing, it isn't 2-3x the original price if you factor in labor, etc but as mentioned earlier it is still significantly cheaper then other mid level tailors and definitely top end tailors.

I'm sorry if the pricing offends you but at the end of the day as mentioned by other members in other posts, if you buy a can of coke at a warehouse, it will be cheaper then a grocery store, and still significantly cheaper then a cafe or a hotel restaurant! It's difficult for me to argue the pricing point but if you are comparing CMT to my prices then yes, you are right that I can not compete. My CMT for half canvas is $2000 HKD so of course if you have a connection to buy Loro Piana fabric at COST then yes I agree it would be way cheaper. But this argument can be made against anyone in any business?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread