or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread - Page 76

post #1126 of 1897

That is very true...

 

I wonder if Dream Bespoke has paid shills for reviews? 

 

I had considered TCNY since they are attached the Ascot Chang brand, but obviously got turned off by this forum...I wonder if they are truly that bad?

 

I'd also consider Moda (the forum affiliate) since they have a lot of good looking samples in their forum.

 

Decisions, decisions...I hate making choices like this since I always wonder,"what if I had gone to the other place?"

 

I guess that's life though. 

 

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'll be in HK from the 21st-28th or so...

 

Dunno if that matters.

post #1127 of 1897

Oh...forgot another question...

 

Could anyone recommend a fabric for a tuxedo?

 

I am at the VBC level for a suit...

 

Thanks again.

post #1128 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
 

That is very true...

 

I wonder if Dream Bespoke has paid shills for reviews? 

 

I had considered TCNY since they are attached the Ascot Chang brand, but obviously got turned off by this forum...I wonder if they are truly that bad?

 

I'd also consider Moda (the forum affiliate) since they have a lot of good looking samples in their forum.

 

Decisions, decisions...I hate making choices like this since I always wonder,"what if I had gone to the other place?"

 

I guess that's life though. 

 

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'll be in HK from the 21st-28th or so...

 

Dunno if that matters.

 

I think the lack of negative reviews is more important than anything. Moda is relatively new and from what I can see is trying to build net presence, so you see them trying to get reviews but it takes a lot of word of mouth to get the ball rolling and the fact that the samples look decent and there aren't a lot of negative reviews make me think it's worth a shot. I plan on getting a suit from them, and I'm going to order some linen shirts so I'll post those if I do get them. That said I haven't seen too many suits from them, so, for science, I will get some. If you get it from them do post some pictures.

 

Similarly I think if Dream truly was bad we'd be able to tell from the pictures and we'd hear more negative feedback. You can buy good reviews but you can use money to stop bad ones, or it's more difficult anyway.

 

By now of course I think Simpson Sin is a very safe choice, and that's the one I have personal experience with, but Dream and SS would be my pick if I were to go by only the feedback on this forums and not my own experience. At least I know they have very fast turnaround.

post #1129 of 1897

I had my tux made in HK at a mid-range tailor (around the same price level as the ones you list) and he did a fine job of it. So long as you specify all the details precisely (with copious reference to the Black Tie Guide, naturally) it'd likely come out fine. My tailor even made me an old-fashioned U-shaped vest which came out nicely. Grosgrain lapels, trouser pockets cut on the seam, jetted hip pockets - as long as you know what to ask for, and the person you're talking to clearly understands what it is you actually want, should be fine.

 

Any decent HK tailor should have several acceptable fabrics for you to pick from. As long as it's properly black, or midnight blue, worsted wool with a conventional weave (like a fine twill) it should be perfectly fine.

post #1130 of 1897
Lol...so I didn't post my experience but I had started off like many here and had to read through the whole thread to get a better understanding of where to get the suit done.

In the end, I basically used the one post that a member had posted pricing on mid-tier tailors, found it was similar to the list I had narrowed down to, and then I sent emails to the tailors.

I basically asked them the same question I posted here...that I wanted something to look/fit better than a Hugo BOSS suit, and nicer fabrics.

Of the emails I got back (all were within 24 hours), I personally felt DB had the most detailed response. I was planning to be in HK for a week and wouldnt have time to spend a day meeting them all in person, so between feeling it out on emails, posts on here, Facebook, and some PMs to a few people that had it done there, I took the chance with Ricky.

Ended up with loro piana fabric, blew my budget, but all in all I was very happy. JJ had PMed me earlier and I'll say the same thing I told him, the only thing from giving it a perfect grade was the suit sleeves are the exact length which means my shirt cuffs don't show. I hear debating things on this but I think personally I would have preferred a slight cuff showing. My wife is watching American Idol right the second and the only thing is, I see Seacrest's suit doesnt show cuff either, and I'd have to assume he's spot on with fashion so that makes me feel a bit better.

The bigger problem is, now that I have a nice suit, I also needed to browse the forum to learn about shoes and ties lol. Picked up some AE strands already and about to go with a Zegna/Ferragamo/Hermes tie to finish the look. satisfied.gif
post #1131 of 1897
As a long time poster in this forum, let me said some word.

I did commission one suit from Dream Bespoke. The owner Ricky is very passionate about his job, And I think he do a fair job in his price level.

Did his suit as good as Chan or Yao? No! And I think he will tell you so. But be fair, he just charged you almost half of what Chan and Yao charged.

If people ask me to recommend one mid price level tailor in HK, Dream Bespoke absolutely will be one of the few.


BTW, DB is very farmous in the local HKers forums, I don't think Ricky will bother to pay people to write a review for him in here, he have too many referrals already lol8[1].gif
Edited by Fishball - 3/19/14 at 7:42pm
post #1132 of 1897

s14roller: I actually like Seacrest's style quite a bit, but I don't think he'd be considered an ultimate arbiter by SF standards :)

post #1133 of 1897

Hmm...help again?

 

I've looked into Dream Bespoke, Simpson Sin, Baron Lee, and Empire International, which all seem to be around the same price range...5600-7000 HKD for a VBC 110-120 full canvas suit. 

 

Now that I've been doing some more research on SuitSupply MTM, which is local here in Chicago, I have been debating which might be better...

 

SS is local so if I have issues, I can go back and get it fixed.  It seems they use VBC 110-120's and their pricing starts at $699.

 

It's all a gamble to me, being new to the tailored suit scene...so I put it to the forum...

 

Any advice as to which might be a better choice?

 

Thanks,

 

J

post #1134 of 1897
Go local. Better service and you'll have less headache.
post #1135 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post

Oh...forgot another question...

Could anyone recommend a fabric for a tuxedo?

I am at the VBC level for a suit...

Thanks again.

I have one from the Dugdale formal book which works like a dream. Generally, barathea is the weave to go for.
post #1136 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by handofguido View Post
 

Just like to share with everyone that I picked up an order at Dream Bespoke of some suits and shirts and was very content with the final product, as well as the attentive care Ricky, the owner, provided. Highly recommended!

 

 

 

Just a quick followup, a little wrinkled from a day of wear but here's the suit and shirt. 

 

 

 

As an aside, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this very useful thread. Without your contributions, I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking. I think we all share so that we can both dress and act like gentlemen, and though a little skepticism is always healthy, sometimes a recommendation is just that and nothing more. Happy hunting!


Edited by handofguido - 3/20/14 at 4:47am
post #1137 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
 

s14roller: I actually like Seacrest's style quite a bit, but I don't think he'd be considered an ultimate arbiter by SF standards :)

 

Haha, fair enough! 

post #1138 of 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
 

Hmm...help again?

 

I've looked into Dream Bespoke, Simpson Sin, Baron Lee, and Empire International, which all seem to be around the same price range...5600-7000 HKD for a VBC 110-120 full canvas suit. 

 

Now that I've been doing some more research on SuitSupply MTM, which is local here in Chicago, I have been debating which might be better...

 

SS is local so if I have issues, I can go back and get it fixed.  It seems they use VBC 110-120's and their pricing starts at $699.

 

It's all a gamble to me, being new to the tailored suit scene...so I put it to the forum...

 

Any advice as to which might be a better choice?

 

Thanks,

 

J

 

Is $699 full canvas for the same VBC 110-120?  If so, then the price is basically the same, so why not go into the local store first and see how you like the product?  Also, there should be enough reviews online. 

post #1139 of 1897

Flickr 上 CHA-K未命名相片

This is my recent project with my Hong Kong tailor.

Cloth by Dugdale 'cool wool' range, it is a very wrinkle resistant 9oz wool, unlike the fresco range, this has a significant smoothy touch but with all the benefits of a stiff 11-12oz wool worsted.

Obviously, Mr. Hui always put a nice pagoda shoulder on my garment since I am not a fan of soft shoulder.

There is also a pair of match trouser and double breasted waistcoat, which is not shown in the picture.
post #1140 of 1897
While I've got the opposite view on pagoda vs. soft shoulders, this looks like a rather lovely jacket. One question about the fabric: is this the Cool Breeze mohair? I can't find a cool wool book on the Dugdale website.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread