or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather shoes and rain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather shoes and rain

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
So I've searched around and found many threads on how to care for your shoes if they happen to get wet. However, most of the threads I read dealt with what to do AFTER you get home.

What can I do while at work?

I have a gorgeous pair of Chili Hale's by Allen Edmonds and underestimated how much it was raining on my walk to work. I had previously polished them with the AE cleaner but have always kept them dry. Today they aren't "soaked" or "saturated" but they are as wet as they could be without riseing to the prior two levels - they were basically covered in rain water over the 10 min walk. My feet don't feel wet so I doub't water got through.

I dried them off with a papertowel in the bathroom and did get some surface water but I'm nervous there could be water marks. Anything I can do while I'm here short of taking them off and stuffing them with newspaper (which I'm not sure they'd need)?

Thanks for any advice, I'm loving these shoes .
post #2 of 10
Just wear them. Your shoes should be able to handle something like this. Tomorrow evening (after you've let them dry for a day), you'll be able to take a look and see how the leather looks. I imagine you'll want to repolish them to even out the patina.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post

Just wear them. Your shoes should be able to handle something like this. Tomorrow evening (after you've let them dry for a day), you'll be able to take a look and see how the leather looks. I imagine you'll want to repolish them to even out the patina.


Great thanks! that's what I thought but got nervous I would end up with a pair of 3 week old ruined shoes.
post #4 of 10
Get a pair of Tingley over shoes. Problem solved and shoes saved.
post #5 of 10
Welcome to Styleforum tats.
In the event you notice a white film forming on them as they dry, it will mean there was a high salt content in the water that soaked them. You'll need a rag and some white vinegar to remove it. Wet rag with the vinegar. Squeeze out excess. Wipe of shoes with some pressure, rotating the cloth as you go. Let dry. If the white film persists, repeat this process as many times as is needed until it is gone. For those who live in regions with distinct seasons, the spring melt is around the corner. Investing in a pair of Swims or Totes or even full blown galoshes can help prevent or minimize water damage. An ounce of prevention, even in 2013, is still worth a pound of cure. Other threads of interest to you would be.... shoe care supply checklist (Click to show) Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos (Click to show)
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone View Post

Get a pair of Tingley over shoes. Problem solved and shoes saved.

Looking into it right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Welcome to Styleforum tats.
In the event you notice a white film forming on them as they dry, it will mean there was a high salt content in the water that soaked them. You'll need a rag and some white vinegar to remove it. Wet rag with the vinegar. Squeeze out excess. Wipe of shoes with some pressure, rotating the cloth as you go. Let dry. If the white film persists, repeat this process as many times as is needed until it is gone. For those who live in regions with distinct seasons, the spring melt is around the corner. Investing in a pair of Swims or Totes or even full blown galoshes can help prevent or minimize water damage. An ounce of prevention, even in 2013, is still worth a pound of cure. Other threads of interest to you would be.... shoe care supply checklist (Click to show) Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos (Click to show)


Thanks, is this something I should be doing now or once I get home and they start really drying out?
post #7 of 10
The sooner the better.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tats View Post

So I've searched around and found many threads on how to care for your shoes if they happen to get wet. However, most of the threads I read dealt with what to do AFTER you get home.

What can I do while at work?

I have a gorgeous pair of Chili Hale's by Allen Edmonds and underestimated how much it was raining on my walk to work. I had previously polished them with the AE cleaner but have always kept them dry. Today they aren't "soaked" or "saturated" but they are as wet as they could be without riseing to the prior two levels - they were basically covered in rain water over the 10 min walk. My feet don't feel wet so I doub't water got through.

I dried them off with a papertowel in the bathroom and did get some surface water but I'm nervous there could be water marks
. Anything I can do while I'm here short of taking them off and stuffing them with newspaper (which I'm not sure they'd need)?

Thanks for any advice, I'm loving these shoes .

lol. Shoes are to protect your feet from the elements. If you are that worried that your shoes then don't wear them and carry them on your jacket pocket . alternatively get rid of the shoes completely and wear these
post #9 of 10

I'm not sure what they are called but what do fashion oriented men think of the rubber overshoes one wears on top of their leather shoes when it's raining or snowy outside?...

1st, I'd just like to know what they are called!!!

Thanks!!

post #10 of 10

^
They are called galoshes. Try brands like Covy's and Swims.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Leather shoes and rain