or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › LinkedIn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LinkedIn

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Wondering if anyone has any experience being contacted through/via LinkedIn for job opportunities?

The company that contacted me doesn't have the job posted on any of the usual job boards, but the opportunity sounds legit - interview is tomorrow with the hiring manager and some upper level management (president, managing director) on Monday.

Just wondering if I how aggressive I can get with my 'list of demands' (salary, benefits, etc.) when/if they ask.

I'm pretty much a baby, only got 18 months of real work experience .. seems kinda odd to get recruited this way (at this stage in my career) - and seems really odd the President would be sitting in on the interview.
post #2 of 29
All will be revealed at the interview. This is normal these days. You have as much leverage as you would for any job at your level of value to them.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by imschatz View Post

Wondering if anyone has any experience being contacted through/via LinkedIn for job opportunities?

The company that contacted me doesn't have the job posted on any of the usual job boards, but the opportunity sounds legit - interview is tomorrow with the hiring manager and some upper level management (president, managing director) on Monday.

Just wondering if I how aggressive I can get with my 'list of demands' (salary, benefits, etc.) when/if they ask.

I'm pretty much a baby, only got 18 months of real work experience .. seems kinda odd to get recruited this way (at this stage in my career) - and seems really odd the President would be sitting in on the interview.

Sounds more like an intervention than a job interview, how much do you drink these days?

In all seriousness, there are several companies where the president or owner wants to vet all new hires. Another possibility is that there is a personal connection you havent realised yet, and he is present because of that. Only one way to find out!
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

Sounds more like an intervention than a job interview, how much do you drink these days?

In all seriousness, there are several companies where the president or owner wants to vet all new hires. Another possibility is that there is a personal connection you havent realised yet, and he is present because of that. Only one way to find out!
If this a reference to how poorly the OP was written .. ya not the drink .. mostly sleep deprivation. I've been stuck working nights and living off power naps for almost a month now.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by imschatz View Post

If this a reference to how poorly the OP was written .. ya not the drink .. mostly sleep deprivation. I've been stuck working nights and living off power naps for almost a month now.

Not really, just that any meeting with several people and a ruse to get you there = an intervention. Sucky attempt at humor on my part..

I would go as far as having a list of demands. Just define, for yourself, what it would take to get you out of your current job.
post #6 of 29
I would say this is common. I get one of these a month, offering to pay more than I currently make and all. Usually in a location I don't want to live in, and a job that won't accel my career as well as my current one. Nonetheless, you have saying power when they come to you, without you coming to them, it shows they have some desperation, and they are saving $ on not hiring a recruiter, so they can spare a bit on a bonus for being hired.

It's legit, at the very least it will help you keep up your interview skills and make some contacts.
post #7 of 29
This is common, I get stuff from recruiters on LinkedIn at least once a week.

Good luck with the interview!
post #8 of 29
How much do you guys include on your linkedin profiles? Basic one-liner or essentially a copy of your resume reorganized on your profile?

I also work in a deal-driven industry and my team has executed several massive deals. Trying to decide if I should put them on my profile.
post #9 of 29
Related question. One of the HR women at my company just sent me a linked in connection request.

Do you suppose this is a normal connection (she works down the hall from me, so it is not like she is some corporate HR person from another state) or are they trying to keep tabs on everyone?
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjr View Post

How much do you guys include on your linkedin profiles? Basic one-liner or essentially a copy of your resume reorganized on your profile?

I also work in a deal-driven industry and my team has executed several massive deals. Trying to decide if I should put them on my profile.

I'd be careful to disclose any confidential business info. That being said I put an abbreviated version of my resume on there.
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Related question. One of the HR women at my company just sent me a linked in connection request.

Do you suppose this is a normal connection (she works down the hall from me, so it is not like she is some corporate HR person from another state) or are they trying to keep tabs on everyone?

Normal
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

I'd be careful to disclose any confidential business info. That being said I put an abbreviated version of my resume on there.

Absolutely this.
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
As this is slowly becoming a general LinkedIn thread .. I edited the title.

Just an update .. 2nd interview tomorrow .. Sounds like my dream job, so ****ing pumped. Analyst job for a Energy trading shop. Could be spending the next few years buried up to my nips in MatLab code and loving every second of it.
post #14 of 29
Did you get an offer yet? I moved jobs a little over two years ago solely because of LinkedIn.

I don't include any details from the CV. Maximum I might include some percentages and an overall size of budget I am in charge of. I also hid the Styleforum affiliation (sorry Bradford).

I think LinkedIn is a recruiter's dream now. I can't count how many junior headhunters just randomly mine for people on the site. That's partially why I stopped accepting people after getting past 100 connections. That said maybe one day they will make recruiters as useful as travel agents.
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post

Did you get an offer yet? I moved jobs a little over two years ago solely because of LinkedIn.

Long story short .. nope.

Long story long .. In the 2nd meeting, we talked for about 2 hours on my career goals, and how I can get there. They are leaving the position empty, and seeing what I can do re: development in my current role over the next couple months. I've got the technical skills to be an analyst, they are worried I don't have the ability to effectively apply them to the market. I've only been in the industry for 10 months, so I can see their point .. still disappointing. Guess I gotta bust my ass for a few months and see what happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › LinkedIn