or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are the written (or unwritten) rules for wearing a bow tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are the written (or unwritten) rules for wearing a bow tie?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Is it okay to wear a suit?

 

Is it okay to wear with just a dress shirt, dress pants (but no jacket) and maybe some loafers?

post #2 of 22
Yes, and yes.

Wear your bowtie whenever the fancy strikes, and don't worry about rules so much.
post #3 of 22

My personal aesthetic tells me that same as I wouldn't wear a necktie without a jacket, I wouldn't wear a bowtie without a jacket.

 

My 2¢, MSRP.


Edited by TheMangelo - 2/10/13 at 3:44pm
post #4 of 22
Outside of academia, accounting, and maybe a few other environments, wearing without a jacket sounds like a bad idea. It's never a particularly good idea.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

Outside of academia, accounting, and maybe a few other environments, wearing without a jacket sounds like a bad idea. It's never a particularly good idea.

 

Hey, some of us in academia have standards too! But I agree. Not without a jacket. 

post #6 of 22
For what it's worth, I think shirt + bow tie sans jacket looks better than shirt + necktie sans jacket. Heavy waiter vibes, though.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post

For what it's worth, I think shirt + bow tie sans jacket looks better than shirt + necktie sans jacket. Heavy waiter vibes, though.

+1 (or bartender, for that matter)
post #8 of 22

I have gotten a lot of mileage out of a bow tie, dress shirt, and slacks/jeans combination in the office especially. We have a pretty casual, but professional dress code but I don't feel right coming into the office without a tie of some sort. Personally, I encourage you to find what you feel works best for you, as long as everything fits and is crisp you should be just fine.

post #9 of 22
I have been trying to put together a "casual-ish" bow tie look at my work also. I work in IT in a medical building, so I am trying to get something working with jeans whenever possible. Any recommendations as to what bow tie/shirt combo goes well with jeans?
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynes1 View Post

I have been trying to put together a "casual-ish" bow tie look at my work also. I work in IT in a medical building, so I am trying to get something working with jeans whenever possible. Any recommendations as to what bow tie/shirt combo goes well with jeans?

I think bow ties work very well with mid-to-light blue chambray and denim shirts. But only assuming that you look somethat trendy (non-overweight, nice haircut, properly groomed, etc.). I would not pair that combo with jeans, however; slim fit, rolled-up chinos is the standard choice.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexcellence View Post

Is it okay to wear a suit?

Is it okay to wear with just a dress shirt, dress pants (but no jacket) and maybe some loafers?

I always advise against wearing them with suits. Bowties are so rare a sight with suits that the wearer will stand out. Still, this may be a good thing if you have the balls, but you'll have to equip some casutic replies in case of random comments. Bowties are much better with odd jackets, shirts or sweaters, when a tie would be too much, but an open neck too little.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post


I always advise against wearing them with suits. Bowties are so rare a sight with suits that the wearer will stand out. Still, this may be a good thing if you have the balls, but you'll have to equip some casutic replies in case of random comments. Bowties are much better with odd jackets, shirts or sweaters, when a tie would be too much, but an open neck too little.

 

I disagree about suits. It very much depends on the type and fabric of the suit and the bow-tie - like with any other combination, there are some that work and things that don't. It wouldn't work as part of CBD, certainly. But yes, bow-ties are not really suitable for people who worry overmuch about what other people think.

post #13 of 22
I have a very simple personal rule which has heretofore remained unwritten but now will be transcribed for the first time: don't.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post

I have a very simple personal rule which has heretofore remained unwritten but now will be transcribed for the first time: don't.

Black tie only, otherwise agreed.
post #15 of 22

Don't wear it without a jacket or sweater. If you do, you'll look like (even more of) a tool.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are the written (or unwritten) rules for wearing a bow tie?