or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Classic dress watch for £2-3k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Classic dress watch for £2-3k - Page 2

post #16 of 38

I don't believe in getting a lower end watch in an 18k case.  "Lipstick on a pig" would be the unkind way of expressing it - and the Tissot is certainly not a pig - but you likely have my point.

 

I'd sooner purchase a gold vintage IWC, Omega or Longines than a gold Tissot.  Of course you can't just pop into your nearest mall and get one, I do understand.

 

There's not a thing wrong with a steel case and an ETA movement - the latter offer proven reliability on comparative ease of service when the time comes.

 

What do you think of this Hamilton?

 

 

 

 

Nomos is also a brand worth considering - I used to own this one:

 

 

 

post #17 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicEnriq View Post

For that price range, you can still go for a classic: the Rolex Datejust. I think it checks all of your requirements. Not the best dress watch out there, but for that price range it's truly a classic.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i just don't like the Rolex design.
post #18 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by minervau View Post

10mm is really a pretty reasonable height for a dress watch. I have a JLC that's 39 mm x 10.9 mm tall and it fits perfectly under a shirt cuff.

Thanks, this is valuable info. Do you know of any place in the City where I could see this FC? I work such hours that travelling to West End during the week is not an option frown.gif
post #19 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicEnriq View Post

For that price range, you can still go for a classic: the Rolex Datejust. I think it checks all of your requirements. Not the best dress watch out there, but for that price range it's truly a classic.

 

Thanks, but I don't like the Rolex design (I guess it's a  "love it or hate it" thing) and it's got a steel bracelet anyway.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

I don't believe in getting a lower end watch in an 18k case.  "Lipstick on a pig" would be the unkind way of expressing it - and the Tissot is certainly not a pig - but you likely have my point.

 

I do. Another reason why I'm not keen on buying a gold watch is that now gold is seriously overpriced, IMHO. I don't want to subsidize other people's obsessions. (But that's a topic for a different discussion...)

 

I'd sooner purchase a gold vintage IWC, Omega or Longines than a gold Tissot.  Of course you can't just pop into your nearest mall and get one, I do understand.

 

There's not a thing wrong with a steel case and an ETA movement - the latter offer proven reliability on comparative ease of service when the time comes.

 

What do you think of this Hamilton?

 

 

 

 

Nomos is also a brand worth considering - I used to own this one:

 

 

 

 

I like the design of the Hamilton's dials and numerals, but the inner small dial reminds me of a sports watch a bit. When I look at the watch, I see the dashboard of a vintage racing car ;-) The Nomos is also VERY pretty and quite distinctive, but a bit too modern-looking for the intended use (and there is the same small dial issue as with the Hamilton). If I were to buy a second steel watch, it'd likely be Nomos or some other German brand (Stowa? similar design, don't know about they quality - they are cheaper than Nomos).

post #20 of 38
Nomos Ludwig?
post #21 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Nomos Ludwig?

 

The inner dial thing. But I like it as a watch, I think Nomos watches are very tasteful and I might get one in the future.

 

What do you think about this Longines? Is the movement quality, finish etc. better or worse than in Frederique Constant?

 

http://www.mappinandwebb.com/product/heritage-gents-mechanical-watch-17350026

post #22 of 38
Nice looking examples everybody, I will follow this thread with interest.
post #23 of 38
Not arguing with your preference - we like what we like - but the sub-second dial at 6 o'clock is an absolutely classic design element of a man's dress watch and not sporty at all. This was by far the rule, rather than the exception, until the indirect central sweep second hand was invented. Just look at any classic pocket watch.

Consider that there likely is no more certain definition of traditional elegance in a man's dress watch than the Patek Phillipe Calatrava:
Edited by RogerP - 2/11/13 at 7:10am
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastrofa View Post

Thanks, this is valuable info. Do you know of any place in the City where I could see this FC? I work such hours that travelling to West End during the week is not an option frown.gif

Unfortunately not a city dweller so not sure. Best of luck!
post #25 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Not arguing with your preference - we like what we like - but the sub-second dial at 6 o'clock is an absolutely classic design element of a man's dress watch and not sporty at all. This was by far the rule, rather than the exception, until the indirect central sweep second hand was invented. Just look at any classic pocket watch.

Consider that there likely is no more certain definition of traditional elegance in a man's dress watch than the Patek Phillipe Calatrava:

 

True, but note that it's much more understated in the Patek! But I take your point about the historical origin.

post #26 of 38

I disagree, go with a JLC if you can afford it. Everyone has a Rolex. Get something a little bit more unique; the movements in JLC's are exceptional. 

post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastrofa View Post

The inner dial thing. But I like it as a watch, I think Nomos watches are very tasteful and I might get one in the future.

What do you think about this Longines? Is the movement quality, finish etc. better or worse than in Frederique Constant?

http://www.mappinandwebb.com/product/heritage-gents-mechanical-watch-17350026

I like both myself. The Longines is quite small, doesn't have numbers (you said numbers right?) and I don't care for the date placement.

Has anyone mentioned the Portafino? Meets all of your criteria.

post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Consider that there likely is no more certain definition of traditional elegance in a man's dress watch than the Patek Phillipe Calatrava:

 

If only it was to be had for the OP's budget (or mine, to be perfectly honest). The Calatrava is the standard for what the OP needs, just 10x more expensive.

 

I think the NOMOS is a good choice for the price range. I also agree that should stay away from Tissot and Longines.

post #29 of 38
If you shop around, you can get a JLC Reverso around $3500. Admittedly, just outside your stated budget, but a much better choice than most watches in this price range. This is a tricky price point. It's easy to pay too much or not enough for something much better. If you must stay in budget, I suggest an Omega De Ville.
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

 

[...] What do you think of this Hamilton?

 

 

 

Coming back to it, what model is that? I can't find it anywhere.

Originally Posted by VicEnriq View Post
I think the NOMOS is a good choice for the price range. I also agree that should stay away from Tissot and Longines.

 

I understand why Tissot in 18k gold is a bit of a weird thing, but why should I stay away from their steel case offerings? And from Longines?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Classic dress watch for £2-3k