or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit. - Page 7

post #91 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataan View Post

I'll get flamed for this

 

With good reason.

post #92 of 146

I'm leaning towards wearing a stroller / stresemann suit for my wedding later this year. My thought was to buy a black suit and get an extra pair of pants made (i.e. in the grey cashmere stripe), plus the waistcoat. This would leave me with a black suit (as well as the extra pants). One alternative would be to go full out for morning dress, but believe me: in Canada, even a black suit is 10 times as versatile as morning dress. It's also cheaper and easier to find. I can imagine situations where I may actually use a black suit in the future (maybe even re-using the stroller look). I can't possibly imagine when I would ever use morning dress again.

post #93 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post


FTFY

As I said, there are plenty of ways to wear a black suit if you are under the age of 35 @ night only. 

 

Be honest, you'd light yourself on fire if the SF group think told you to.

post #94 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataan View Post

Black goes with any other color, which makes it versatile.  A black suit, in terms of color coordination, is thus very versatile.  I'll get flamed for this but I put color/pattern coordination over unwritten rules that people follow (whether they come up with justifications and rationalizations for it).  Black/red, black/pink, black/blue (not navy), black/purple, black/white, black/gold, so many shirt/tie color combinations are available with black suit.

I have a black herring bone stripe suit (1/8" or so), a black self-stripe with ultra thin blue thread stripes, and a black shadow stripe with vest.

This is just not accurate. Black is far less versatile than either navy or grey. The idea that a black suit gives you more combinations than a navy or grey suit is simply wrong. If you read this forum, and even this thread, you'll see that even many proponents of black suits admit their limited versatility. If you like them, wear them. If you don't care about rules, don't follow them. It's still useful to know the rules and understand when you're breaking one. The best reason for breaking the rules is if you think something looks better. You obviously feel this way about black suits. I disagree and such is life. But black suits look absolutely awful with some of the colors you are suggesting. Navy or grey look much better, especially during the day.
post #95 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

As I said, there are plenty of ways to wear a black suit if you are under the age of 35 @ night only. 

This is key. They really don't work during the day (not suggesting you thought otherwise). My position has always been:

1. Black suits are inappropriate and also do not look good in the office and during the day (these two things basically coincide)
2. Charcoal and navy look just as good or better than a black suit at night
3. Ergo, there is no reason to ever own a black suit

If you like the black suit look at night, go for it, but it's a pretty limited use outfit. Ironically, OP is only talking about buying a black suit because he already owns a significant number of other suits so the acquisition's limited use would not hurt him. Still seems like a total waste to me, but hey, it's not my money. YMMV.
post #96 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


This is key. They really don't work during the day (not suggesting you thought otherwise). My position has always been:

1. Black suits are inappropriate and also do not look good in the office and during the day (these two things basically coincide)
2. Charcoal and navy look just as good or better than a black suit at night
3. Ergo, there is no reason to ever own a black suit

If you like the black suit look at night, go for it, but it's a pretty limited use outfit. Ironically, OP is only talking about buying a black suit because he already owns a significant number of other suits so the acquisition's limited use would not hurt him. Still seems like a total waste to me, but hey, it's not my money. YMMV.

 

I would tend to agree, however I myself would consider getting a black suit just to use while going out at night with friends. Reason being I know I wouldn't mind sweating/vomiting/pissing in it because, well, it's a black suit and it already looks bad.

post #97 of 146
The fact that you would be wearing a black suit going out sounds like the least of your problems. uhoh.gif
post #98 of 146

Doesn't seem like a problem when it's happening.

post #99 of 146
What happens when one reaches 35?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

As I said, there are plenty of ways to wear a black suit if you are under the age of 35 @ night only. 

Be honest, you'd light yourself on fire if the SF group think told you to.
post #100 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace View Post

Well, mostly since I don't have one. I own suits in most all colors, solids, pinstripes, checks, But not a single black suit, because I've always been told "Don't wear black suits"

Either way, I'm gonna supplement my wardrobe with at least one black suit, for just in case. (I have a couple of funerals coming up, due to very old and ill family members)

So here's my question: Would you go for a solid black suit, or a self-striped black suit? Kinda looks like a stronger type of herringbone, and also looks more solid from a distance. 

nonsense, on so many different levels
post #101 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

The fact that you would be wearing a black suit going out sounds like the least of your problems. uhoh.gif

lol8[1].gif
post #102 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post

What happens when one reaches 35?


I'm guessing you're no longer considered young enough to pull it off. If I were to wear a black suit, I'd do it at a younger age and would just wear plain navy or charcoal in the evening after a certain point. To the extent a black suit is considered slightly fashion forward (YMMV if you think otherwise), it's best left to youthful indiscretion and thus goes well with other indiscrete activities that may be engaged in at night.
post #103 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

The fact that you would be wearing a black suit going out sounds like the least of your problems. uhoh.gif

Gives new perspective to the "only worn once!" claims on the sales forum.

post #104 of 146
Fair enough. I'm 37 and love my black suit at night in a dimly lit bar or club. Maybe it's because I've always lived in major cities (NY, Rio, Frankfurt), but I'm far from the only on, and definitely not the oldest. I'm probably the youngest in fact.

Perhaps part of the reason I like wearing it when I go out at night is explicitly because it's not grey or blue, which would be a suit I'd wear at work. My dinner jacket means it's culture night, and my black lounge means it's party night. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I'm guessing you're no longer considered young enough to pull it off. If I were to wear a black suit, I'd do it at a younger age and would just wear plain navy or charcoal in the evening after a certain point. To the extent a black suit is considered slightly fashion forward (YMMV if you think otherwise), it's best left to youthful indiscretion and thus goes well with other indiscrete activities that may be engaged in at night.
post #105 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post

Fair enough. I'm 37 and love my black suit at night in a dimly lit bar or club. Maybe it's because I've always lived in major cities (NY, Rio, Frankfurt), but I'm far from the only on, and definitely not the oldest. I'm probably the youngest in fact.

Perhaps part of the reason I like wearing it when I go out at night is explicitly because it's not grey or blue, which would be a suit I'd wear at work.My dinner jacket means it's culture night, and my black lounge means it's party night. smile.gifsmile.gif

Sometimes symbolism can be powerful and make you feel differently about your clothes. I kind of like the part in bold (even if I replace black suit with grey smile.gif).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.