or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit. - Page 5

post #61 of 146

Haha, darn, that's pretty attrocious. Even looks like he's buttoned all three jacket buttons.
post #62 of 146

My opinion is that if you want a black suit - and you're actually going to wear it and enjoy it - then go for it.  However, if you're buying it and will likely only end up wearing it a small handful of times I'd say it's wasteful.  I used to have about five suits in my closet just in case I end up getting a corporate job where I'd have to wear a suit every day.  I'm in my eighth year of the corporate world and have work a suit probably three times per year max.  Money wasted that could have gone elsewhere.

post #63 of 146
What about oxford gray? It's supposed to be darker than charcoal, but lighter than black.
post #64 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

This is were  the SF community goes off track.  They think that because a black suit does not look good on them, it is garbage.  Whether or not a black suit looks good on you depends on your skin tone and hair colour.  Based on these two factors a black suit compliments me the most.  I walk into a ball room wearing a black suit, white shirt with a lavender or red tie and get a wow factor from the women.  I do not get that when I wear my SF approved dark grey suit( even though it is better quality).  If i had come to this forum asking people's opinions on a black suit, and they gave me the "a black suit is crap" answer, they would have did a disservice to me.

#1 What are you doing in a ball room in a suit? Tux it up man.
#2 It's not how many compliments you get, its how good you look. A person can get a thousand compliments on wearing a boyar hat, but that doesn't mean it is the best sartorial choice. (And be leery about female "wow" factors. While we all want to be attractive to others, douchebags still date pretty women.) Still, that being said, you might look just fine in a black suit.
post #65 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Haha, darn, that's pretty attrocious. Even looks like he's buttoned all three jacket buttons.

Are you sure there are only three?
post #66 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

While we're on the topic, there's a question I've had for some time, and I'd love to hear some opinions. It's obvious that wearing a black suit during the day is shunned (or at least it is by the SF crowd). However, the classic colour for a morning coat or stroller jacket is black. Since these items are intended to be worn during the day, what is it that makes the black morning coat/stroller jacket acceptable? Is it the fact that the lighter-coloured (& patterned) pants of a morning dress/stroller ensemble offset the severity of the black jacket in daylight? Or is there some other reason why this works, but a black lounge suit would not?

 

Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


Yes

 

 

Seems to make sense, since it avoids the "black monolith" look. The vest/waistcoat probably helps to break it up as well.

post #67 of 146
This is one of the best black suits I have seen. The Bedford cord lets it be dressed up or casual depending on the shirt and shoes.







post #68 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post

 

FWIW the first 3 suits I purchased in my adult life were black and I am aware of their broad acceptance among the general populace. The existence of this forum is to discuss standards which are hopefully a cut above that, though. Or several cuts above depending on where you live (Canada in my case LOL). I would suggest looking at icons of the past if you would like a broader range of opinions rather than the general populace, lest you'll be headed down the dark path of hybrid shoes and polyester golf shirts as well.
 

You talked about improving standards.  I agree.  The point that everybody seems to be missing, an important way to improve your standards is by finding out which colours work best for you.  What works for you may not necessarily work good for me.   Archibaldleach made a point about rules.  Well the rules say certain people can wear black and look good on them.  But the rules also say that only certain colours work with black.  You have to pair it with the right shirt and tie. 

 

As for it looking cheap, I disagree.  There is a reason why the standard colour for tuxes is black.  It is a more formal colour. 

 

But somehow you are implying that even though black works for me, even though I make good impressions on people, I lower the standard by wearing black.  I will have to respectfully disagree.

post #69 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

This is were  the SF community goes off track.  They think that because a black suit does not look good on them, it is garbage.  Whether or not a black suit looks good on you depends on your skin tone and hair colour.  Based on these two factors a black suit compliments me the most.  I walk into a ball room wearing a black suit, white shirt with a lavender or red tie and get a wow factor from the women.  I do not get that when I wear my SF approved dark grey suit( even though it is better quality).  If i had come to this forum asking people's opinions on a black suit, and they gave me the "a black suit is crap" answer, they would have did a disservice to me.

#1 What are you doing in a ball room in a suit? Tux it up man.
 

This is Greece.  Even if you show up wearing a cheap polyester suit you are still dressed up. The fact that I wear a wool suit, might also explain the stares and compliments.laugh.gif

post #70 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

But somehow you are implying that even though black works for me, even though I make good impressions on people, I lower the standard by wearing black.  I will have to respectfully disagree.

No, the greater point was that you aren't setting the bar very high if acceptance or praise from people uninterested in clothing carries more weight than decades of well-dressed men (for one example of inspiration outside of the forum). Apologies if my original post sounded personal - that was not my intent.
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

 

As for it looking cheap, I disagree.  There is a reason why the standard colour for tuxes is black.  It is a more formal colour. 

 

 

 

This.  Odd that black is never decribed as inherently and universally cheap-looking when tuxedos are the subject of discussion. 

post #72 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

This.  Odd that black is never decribed as inherently and universally cheap-looking when tuxedos are the subject of discussion. 

Ehhhh, you'll figure out the difference.....
post #73 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

But somehow you are implying that even though black works for me, even though I make good impressions on people, I lower the standard by wearing black.  I will have to respectfully disagree.

No, the greater point was that you aren't setting the bar very high if acceptance or praise from people uninterested in clothing carries more weight than decades of well-dressed men (for one example of inspiration outside of the forum). Apologies if my original post sounded personal - that was not my intent.


No offense was taken. Polite, courteous, discussion is what this forum should be all about.  You are not rude by any means.

 

There is a difference between bad taste and different taste.  Bad taste is when you think something looks good and no other person thinks so.  Difference in taste is when opinions are divided.  Some people like modern art, others don't.  Some like spicy food and others do not.  When you wear something and others compliment you, basically what that means you think that this is in good taste and others agree with you.   If you do not think so, that means your taste in different.  No is an owner of good taste.  Only arrogant people think so (not that I am saying you are arrogant).

 

The stark contrast between a black suit and a white shirts makes, IMO, makes for a very elegant look.  This is what makes the tux so popular.  It is not the satin on the lapels.  Look at all of these actors, many of whom hire professional image consultants, who have substituted the tux for a black suit at awards ceremonies.  Further more, there are elegant, stylish men who do like to wear black suits, George Clooney being the most prominent.  Do some basic research on what is acceptable attire for weddings, and the consensus is a dark suit, ie black, navy blue,  or charcoal grey. 

 

It is not surprising that decades ago well dressed men did not wear black suits.  Black was strictly reserved for formal events.  You only saw pictures of them in their everyday lives, or in formal events were they were tuxes.  All of them looked elegant and stylish in their tuxes. You may think it is  the satin on the lapels and other places on the jacket that makes a tux stylish.  I do not. I say it is  the sharp contrast between black jacket and white shirt that makes the tux so appealing.   The tux is slowly going out of fashion and style.  More and more people are wearing a black suit were a tux was once desired.  They do so because they like the timeless elegant look of a black jacket and white shirt.

 

It should be noted that the black suit is not a versatile colour.  I have tried it with many different combos.  The only combos that I really like is with a plain white shirt.  Both black and white are formal colours, so my plain black suit is reserved for formal situations. 

 

I respect the fact that many people here disagree with me.  Not only do I respect that, but I am glad.  The world would be a very boring place if we all dressed the same.  But to claim that only people of poor taste or people who know nothing about fashion share my views is just plain wrong.  No one is the owner of good taste.  Taste is taste.  There is no right or wrong.  It is a matter of opinion.

post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

This is Greece.  Even if you show up wearing a cheap polyester suit you are still dressed up. The fact that I wear a wool suit, might also explain the stares and compliments.laugh.gif

Oh Greece! Then black will be just fine.
post #75 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post


No offense was taken. Polite, courteous, discussion is what this forum should be all about.  You are not rude by any means.

There is a difference between bad taste and different taste.  Bad taste is when you think something looks good and no other person thinks so.  Difference in taste is when opinions are divided.  Some people like modern art, others don't.  Some like spicy food and others do not.  When you wear something and others compliment you, basically what that means you think that this is in good taste and others agree with you.   If you do not think so, that means your taste in different.  No is an owner of good taste.  Only arrogant people think so (not that I am saying you are arrogant).

The stark contrast between a black suit and a white shirts makes, IMO, makes for a very elegant look.  This is what makes the tux so popular.  It is not the satin on the lapels.  Look at all of these actors, many of whom hire professional image consultants, who have substituted the tux for a black suit at awards ceremonies.  Further more, there are elegant, stylish men who do like to wear black suits, George Clooney being the most prominent.  Do some basic research on what is acceptable attire for weddings, and the consensus is a dark suit, ie black, navy blue,  or charcoal grey. 

It is not surprising that decades ago well dressed men did not wear black suits.  Black was strictly reserved for formal events.  You only saw pictures of them in their everyday lives, or in formal events were they were tuxes.  All of them looked elegant and stylish in their tuxes. You may think it is  the satin on the lapels and other places on the jacket that makes a tux stylish.  I do not. I say it is  the sharp contrast between black jacket and white shirt that makes the tux so appealing.   The tux is slowly going out of fashion and style.  More and more people are wearing a black suit were a tux was once desired.  They do so because they like the timeless elegant look of a black jacket and white shirt.

It should be noted that the black suit is not a versatile colour.  I have tried it with many different combos.  The only combos that I really like is with a plain white shirt.  Both black and white are formal colours, so my plain black suit is reserved for formal situations. 

I respect the fact that many people here disagree with me.  Not only do I respect that, but I am glad.  The world would be a very boring place if we all dressed the same.  But to claim that only people of poor taste or people who know nothing about fashion share my views is just plain wrong.  No one is the owner of good taste.  Taste is taste.  There is no right or wrong.  It is a matter of opinion.

Nice to have some interesting discussion on this and appreciate you being a good sport. I'd say that if we're truly being sticklers, black suits worn during the daytime violate the rules. I think they still do at night, but a black suit (well, black period) in any event looks best after 6:00PM. I like the black and white contrast and love my tuxedo. In a sense, you're right about the contrast being the main appealing point. I do think there's still something to be said for the satin, the studs and the bow tie (actually, the latter is huge because it lets enough white show to make the contrast meaningful, which a black suit and regular tie don't achieve quite as well).

Decades ago, most well dressed men I've seen did not generally wear black suits in the evening even if they were not wearing a tuxedo. That may be because they did not want to be in something too close to a tuxedo when many around them were wearing a tux / to clearly show they were in informal attire (as a lounge suit was once called). I wish I had the depth of knowledge on history of clothing that some other older members have, but I don't. I know enough to be pretty confident with my thoughts on these matters, but not all of the functional history.

My main objection to black, in addition to being formed by the rules as I understand them, is the versatility point. A really dark navy or midnight blue also achieves a lovely contrast with white and can frame other shirt colors well. You can wear a navy suit to the office, during the day, at night, etc. Not so much with the black suit. Navy and charcoal will always be safer, especially for someone who only owns a couple of suits and wants to pair them with various shirt and tie combinations.

I think that there can be social consensus and that there are rules. Most people, myself included, break rules when we want to and in a manner we consider tasteful. There is certainly some allowance for taste and a black suit in the right context may fit in here. There is right and wrong (lime green neon pants, magenta shirt and royal purple sport coat is definitely wrong). I do think that some people wear black suits because they don't know better (others, and it sounds like you are in this second group, have made an informed choice ). Hope I didn't offend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.