or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit. - Page 4

post #46 of 146

I often hear to get charcoal instead of black...but charcoal is so dark that it's often mistaken for black....right?

post #47 of 146
No, there's a clear difference between black and charcoal.

For the record, there is no reason not to wear a black suit in the evenings. The contrast of black and white looks great in low lighting.
post #48 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

own two black suits, one solid, one with faint pinstripes.  They are the suits I get the most compliments on. 



I owned a black suit once. Didn't like the way it looked on me. Wore it once and purged it from my wardrobe.

This is were  the SF community goes off track.  They think that because a black suit does not look good on them, it is garbage.  Whether or not a black suit looks good on you depends on your skin tone and hair colour.  Based on these two factors a black suit compliments me the most.  I walk into a ball room wearing a black suit, white shirt with a lavender or red tie and get a wow factor from the women.  I do not get that when I wear my SF approved dark grey suit( even though it is better quality).  If i had come to this forum asking people's opinions on a black suit, and they gave me the "a black suit is crap" answer, they would have did a disservice to me.

 

I bought my solid black suit when I was in Toronto three years ago looking for a suit to wear to an upcoming wedding.  I must have walked into ten stores, and when the sales associated asked to help me I would tell them, I am looking for a suit for a wedding, size 38, two button, two vents.  Not one sales associate brought out a charcoal grey or navy blue suit.  All of them were solid black. They all thought that a black suit is appropriate for weddings.   While I respect the forums views that a black suit is only appropriate for funerals (if at that), it is just that, their opinion.  Being a clothing enthusiast does not make automatically one an expert.  But it is this enthusiasm (regardless of your hobby) that makes learning about your hobby fun, and in turn becoming more knowledgeable. 

 

I hope that people do not get offended by what I wrote.  It was not meant to insult people, but to give examples to broadened people's minds.  When looking for education on choosing the right clothes, to also spend some time outside of SF.  Get a broad range of opinions, then decide for yourself.  However, if you are insulted and want to flame me, go right ahead.  I will not get into a flame war.


Edited by Steve Papas - 2/7/13 at 3:14am
post #49 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

This is wear the SF community goes off track.  They think that because a black suit does not look good on them, it is garbage.  Whether or not a black suit looks good on you depends on your skin tone and hair colour.  Based on these two factors a black suit compliments me the most.  I walk into a ball room wearing a black suit, white shirt with a lavender or red tie and get a wow factor from the women.  I do not get that when I wear my SF approved dark grey suit( even though it is better quality).  If i had come to this forum asking people's opinions on a black suit, and they gave me the "a black suit is crap" answer, they would have did a disservice to me.

I bought my solid black suit when I was in Toronto three years ago looking for a suit to wear to an upcoming wedding.  I must have walked into ten stores, and when the sales associated asked to help me I would tell them, I am looking for a suit for a wedding, size 38, two button, two vents.  Not one sales associate brought out a charcoal grey or navy blue suit.  All of them were solid black. They all thought that a black suit is appropriate for weddings.   While I respect the forums views that a black suit is only appropriate for funerals (if at that), it is just that, their opinion.  Being a clothing enthusiast does not make automatically one an expert.  But it is this enthusiasm (regardless of your hobby) that makes learning about your hobby fun, and in turn becoming more knowledgeable. 

I hope that people do not get offended by what I wrote.  It was not meant to insult people, but to give examples to broadened people's minds.  When looking for education on choosing the right clothes, to also spend some time outside of SF.  Get a broad range of opinions, then decide for yourself.  However, if you are insulted and want to flame me, go right ahead.  I will not get into a flame war.

Not interested in flaming you, but my desire to not wear black suits has nothing to do with whether they look good on me. Black tends to look better in the evening and this has been indicated many times. I get plenty of positive comments and attention on navy and charcoal suits and odd jackets and have no need to wear black. The opinion of sales associates may well be shaped by what they have to sell or what their company is known for, not be actual adherence to tradition or rules of dressing (see, e.g., rental tux people telling you your entire wedding party should match). Most sales associates in my experience are not that useful, with the occasional exception. I also can't comment on differences between Toronto and other places.

I personally don't care what color suit you wear. I care more about how you wear it, whether it fits, etc. That said, the idea that black is not generally appropriate is more than an opinion of people here. Perhaps it is merely the collected opinion of clothing and etiquette experts for the past century, but it is at the very least more than a mere SF opinion. There are rules and traditions that are worth paying attention to. You are free to disregard them, and more power to you if the look you pull off in black gets more positive attention than a similar look in navy or charcoal (though you may be the only person I've ever herad make this claim). Educated breaking of rules is perfectly fine too. That said, there still are rules and one should know what they are before making an educated decision to break them. A black suit does violate the rules. If you decide it suits your skin tone and looks better on you, go nuts. But don't claim that there aren't rules that say otherwise. I do not get the sense that you are making this claim, but people who read this thread should understand that rules do exist. They may not be commonly known, but they do exist, and breaking them should be an informed decision that begins with being informed on what the rules are.
post #50 of 146
Black suits look cheap.
post #51 of 146
I hear once you go black, you can never go back. So be careful.
post #52 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykurtz View Post

I hear once you go black, you can never go back. So be careful.

I thought that only applies to painting and coffee.
post #53 of 146

Steve Papas - very well said.

post #54 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Papas View Post

I hope that people do not get offended by what I wrote.  It was not meant to insult people, but to give examples to broadened people's minds.  When looking for education on choosing the right clothes, to also spend some time outside of SF.  Get a broad range of opinions, then decide for yourself.  However, if you are insulted and want to flame me, go right ahead.  I will not get into a flame war.

FWIW the first 3 suits I purchased in my adult life were black and I am aware of their broad acceptance among the general populace. The existence of this forum is to discuss standards which are hopefully a cut above that, though. Or several cuts above depending on where you live (Canada in my case LOL). I would suggest looking at icons of the past if you would like a broader range of opinions rather than the general populace, lest you'll be headed down the dark path of hybrid shoes and polyester golf shirts as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Black suits look cheap.

+1 There is that, too. I wonder if the OP owns or has considered a tuxedo?
post #55 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post

+1 There is that, too. I wonder if the OP owns or has considered a tuxedo?

I think that nicer black suits do not have the same problem of looking cheap. Perhaps slightly by comparison as black gives you less of an interesting canvas for some weaves and it may be harder to appreciate good black cloth, but I think the real problem is with the cheap black suits sold at a place like Men's Warehouse.

Seeing as OP mentioned wearing this to funerals, a tuxedo seems a bit out of place. Perhaps for the nights out part if he doesn't own one.
post #56 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Seeing as OP mentioned wearing this to funerals, a tuxedo seems a bit out of place. Perhaps for the nights out part if he doesn't own one.

LOL yes it would. I meant since he's already got various types of charcoal suits, if he wants to make a "since I don't have one" purchase.....
post #57 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


I think that nicer black suits do not have the same problem of looking cheap. Perhaps slightly by comparison as black gives you less of an interesting canvas for some weaves and it may be harder to appreciate good black cloth, but I think the real problem is with the cheap black suits sold at a place like Men's Warehouse.

 

Agreed.  I think cheap suits of all colours and patterns generally look cheap - and arguably cheap black suits wear their cheapness even more prominently.

 

But the categorical assertion that "black suits look cheap" is very much symptomatic of the reactionary auto-trashing that takes place whenever the subject of black suits is raised here.

post #58 of 146

While we're on the topic, there's a question I've had for some time, and I'd love to hear some opinions. It's obvious that wearing a black suit during the day is shunned (or at least it is by the SF crowd). However, the classic colour for a morning coat or stroller jacket is black. Since these items are intended to be worn during the day, what is it that makes the black morning coat/stroller jacket acceptable? Is it the fact that the lighter-coloured (& patterned) pants of a morning dress/stroller ensemble offset the severity of the black jacket in daylight? Or is there some other reason why this works, but a black lounge suit would not?


Edited by Firefox - 2/7/13 at 10:04am
post #59 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

Is it the fact that the lighter-coloured (& patterned) pants of a morning dress/stroller ensemble offset the severity of the black jacket in daylight?

Yes
post #60 of 146
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.