or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Grey or Navy Suit for Business Rule?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grey or Navy Suit for Business Rule?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Is this a male only rule?eh.gif I see females violate this rule on the daily as they always wear black suits.
post #2 of 7
I think it is a male only rule from what I can gather.

Women in general have a lot more flexibility in what they wear in a business setting; I once was in a meeting with a member of the management committee of a Wall St. investment bank who was wearing a very well cut burgundy blazer, something no man at that firm would have been caught dead in including the CEO. I believe women's suits have also been around for a shorter period of time than men's lounge suits, so the same norms probably never developed.
post #3 of 7
It is a male-only rule; however, from my experience 'dark business suit' is more common now, with a mid-grey suit being a 'grey area'

Women generally wear black suits and when they do not wear black, they avoid navy and dark greys.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I think it is a male only rule from what I can gather.

Women in general have a lot more flexibility in what they wear in a business setting; I once was in a meeting with a member of the management committee of a Wall St. investment bank who was wearing a very well cut burgundy blazer, something no man at that firm would have been caught dead in including the CEO. I believe women's suits have also been around for a shorter period of time than men's lounge suits, so the same norms probably never developed.
thanks for the info this clears up a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallan View Post

It is a male-only rule; however, from my experience 'dark business suit' is more common now, with a mid-grey suit being a 'grey area'

Women generally wear black suits and when they do not wear black, they avoid navy and dark greys.
very interesting
post #5 of 7
I think I asked this question a little while back in the "Ask a Question" thread...And basically was told that men are from Mars, women are form Venus, and the "rules" of classic clothing for each are just different, with a different history and different traditions.

Example: a criticism of men wearing black suits is that it looks too similar to a tuxedo. Obviously the tuxedo doesn't play a role in a woman's wardrobe, so she's more free to wear a black dress.

However, that doesn't explain how many criticize black suits becuase they make men look washed out, but that criticism is never leveled at women.

I know I prefer midnight blue to black for suiting; maybe women's dresses would look better to me in midnight blue as well.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_horton View Post

I think I asked this question a little while back in the "Ask a Question" thread...And basically was told that men are from Mars, women are form Venus, and the "rules" of classic clothing for each are just different, with a different history and different traditions.

Example: a criticism of men wearing black suits is that it looks too similar to a tuxedo. Obviously the tuxedo doesn't play a role in a woman's wardrobe, so she's more free to wear a black dress.

However, that doesn't explain how many criticize black suits becuase they make men look washed out, but that criticism is never leveled at women.

I know I prefer midnight blue to black for suiting; maybe women's dresses would look better to me in midnight blue as well.
Maybe because most men aren't particular about a woman's appearance as long as she's physically attractive. Barring a mud stain on her outfit many men will be forgiving about a woman's outfit
post #7 of 7
My guess is that the "rule" is from a time when women in business were rather rare and did not wear suits.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Grey or Navy Suit for Business Rule?