or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are your thoughts on natural leather items (i.e. belts, wallets, etc.)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your thoughts on natural leather items (i.e. belts, wallets, etc.)? - Page 2

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post

Blogs are an awful substitute for a forum. There is no discussion and a good discussion on here three years ago would generate more interesting content than a month of good blog postings do.

I agree. But that is where the discussion has moved, even if not beneficially held there.

Feel free to comment--I swear I'll respond. Then we'll have a conversation.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post


It is the same as being in a house in college.

Or summer camp- "last year the counselors were great, the food was delicious, and it didn't rain"
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Maybe that was the death knell, but the change has been going on since before that.

That's because things are always changing. Members come and go, topics change with the current trends, and icons shift from who was to who is. This is the nature of everything and instead of cursing it, you of all people, should appreciate your role here. Despite your curt style of communication, many people have learned from your posts and examples.
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

That's because things are always changing. Members come and go, topics change with the current trends, and icons shift from who was to who is.

Yes and no. Things do evolve, but there was a strong core of members for a long time. Many were given "DH" powers specifically to keep them around, but it didn't work. Today's SF is a distinctly shallower place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

This is the nature of everything and instead of cursing it, you of all people, should appreciate your role here. Despite your curt style of communication, many people have learned from your posts and examples.

Ah, you see, I often forget that when I post here, I'm now speaking to a crowd that is 90+% new.
post #20 of 44
Look, I completely understand your point...and I agree with you regarding the shift in depth here. I have learned so much about men's clothing, style icons, guidelines for what makes an outfit go from good to great. Hell, just learning all the different patterns is something I had to go through. Without all of the people are you referring to, it would have a much longer process than it was because of all the great discussions and effort you guys put in. But I will say this, there will be a different group of people who learned from you guys who will pass as much of that information along as possible. There will never be another Vox, but somebody will come along an fill that role. Right now, that role is filled by you...for as long as you decide to wear the mantle, that vintage, herringbone overcoat of a mantle.
post #21 of 44

You know I was ready to troll this thread and then you ruin it with an appeal to meaningful conversation. Thanks. 

 

In any case, the OP has posed a question which, in the context of this subforum's premise, is obtuse. 

 

The correct answer to his question, is, "Yes."

post #22 of 44
I do miss Vox. I remember the end of the old days, but such are the changes that happen on internet boards.

On the OP: I had to look up what "natural leather" is. Apparently you can get a car seat made with it. That is my entire depth of knowledge on the topic.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post


It is the same as being in a house in college.

Or summer camp- "last year the counselors were great, the food was delicious, and it didn't rain"

 

Exactly. And it fucking sucks when the guys you look up to in any of these environments stand up and say this place sucks just because they are too worked up to realize  it is they who now need to carry the torch. Man up Foo, man the fuck up.

 

I suggest you put that brilliant mind to work really analyzing what I am saying here instead of firing from the hip. When you do you will realize this is not an attack on you at all. Quite the opposite really.

post #24 of 44
^This, I fear, neglects to consider that the oldsters don't post out of charity. Few folks are willing to play Obi Wan if the conversation isn't rewarding for them as well. At least not for very long.
post #25 of 44

Fair enough, however taking the mentor role is a natural progression, and carries with it valuable rewards.

post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post

Exactly. And it fucking sucks when the guys you look up to in any of these environments stand up and say this place sucks just because they are too worked up to realize  it is they who now need to carry the torch. Man up Foo, man the fuck up.

I suggest you put that brilliant mind to work really analyzing what I am saying here instead of firing from the hip. When you do you will realize this is not an attack on you at all. Quite the opposite really.

Carry the torch? Are you ignoring the fact that I've been here for six years and have nearly 17,000 posts? My participation here today is fraction of what it used to be.

I've carried t quite a lot.
post #27 of 44
really though?

If you are regularly commissioning bespoke works, what really are you gaining from a forum? You have your own style and preferences, and your tailor will also have his own preferences. If you're happy with the result, great, if not, you decide for yourself what is wrong.

If its a desire to fit into some mind numbing rules of what is "correct", then just post the list and be done with it.

That said, WAYWRN is a disaster lately. Maybe one decent look out of five.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post

Fair enough, however taking the mentor role is a natural progression, and carries with it valuable rewards.

I found it rewarding for a long time. But as the years go by, you realize you're playing catcher in the rye. There are always the same questions to answer, always more noobs to mentor. Eventually it becomes less rewarding. And when you're subsequently told by a well-meaning poster that your reward for all that work is more work, and that you really should stop moaning that the work is less fun than it used to be ... well, it's exhausting.

If you're here in five or ten years, with a disquieting number after "Posts:" I suspect you'll feel differently than you do now. Which isn't meant as criticism, just a competing perspective.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

really though?

If you are regularly commissioning bespoke works, what really are you gaining from a forum? You have your own style and preferences, and your tailor will also have his own preferences. If you're happy with the result, great, if not, you decide for yourself what is wrong.

If its a desire to fit into some mind numbing rules of what is "correct", then just post the list and be done with it.

What's the point of spending all that time and effort acquiring the perfect handbag if you don't get to swing it?
post #30 of 44

Valid points, and Foo makes a good one also, however I don't think it is particularly useful for a very senior member of any organization publicly tell the rank and file that they suck.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are your thoughts on natural leather items (i.e. belts, wallets, etc.)?