or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › suggestions for double monk strap shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

suggestions for double monk strap shoes

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

Hi Everyone, just joined this Forum.. been looking around here as well the web and im keen to purchase a double monk strap shoe. In terms of style, thus far I tend to like the Williem from JL or the Ramsey from the AS exclusive range. I am looking a specific colour, well I would like to get that shoe in a specific colour (deep red / cherry colour - hard to describe) and I was wondering if one can get that as part of the AS exclusive range? or will that be classed the handgrade range which I understand to be more expensive? I learning towards AS as I think they would be relatively cheaper than JL.

 

I am open to any suggestions of other brands if anyone has any.

 

Also, does anyone know if AS factory is open to visit for a mini tour? I intend to visit northampton in a few months during the British GP, and I would like to visit some of the traditional English shoe makers and see how they ply their craft.

 

Thank you in advance

post #2 of 35

What's your price range?

post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
Hi, I would say max £600? I know the JL william is about £650.

Thanks
post #4 of 35

Give Carmina a look. It's a solid Double Monk.




I myself just bought a pair of Magnanni DMs. Only set me back about $350 and it's a good shoe.

 

1000



Another good brand for DMs is Maurizi and Bontoni

post #5 of 35
I suggest Edward Green Westminister one of the nicest double monks around.

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/06/01/edward-green-westminster-in-burgundy-antique/
post #6 of 35

Here's the link to Carmina along with the shell cordovan version.

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640219

Shell cordovan dbs:
http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=4404415

post #7 of 35
Thread Starter 
Thank you. Just a question I. EG. They only make the Westminster in an F fitting. I have a pair of churches and they are a G fit. Does this mean that the Westminster is arguably too narrow for me? They do not produce a G fit.

Thanks
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

I suggest Edward Green Westminister one of the nicest double monks around.

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/06/01/edward-green-westminster-in-burgundy-antique/

This!
post #9 of 35
Canali: The ultimate DB Monk! (for the specified price range) And it has a Vibram sole



The great thing I like about Canali shoes is that they have very solid construction for a "fashion brand"; often times goodyear welted.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

Canali: The ultimate DB Monk! (for the specified price range) And it has a Vibram sole



The great thing I like about Canali shoes is that they have very solid construction for a "fashion brand"; often times goodyear welted.

And this is nicer than Carmina how? Because it has a vibram sole?
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post


And this is nicer than Carmina how? Because it has a vibram sole?


FIFTY

post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcideneb View Post

Thank you. Just a question I. EG. They only make the Westminster in an F fitting. I have a pair of churches and they are a G fit. Does this mean that the Westminster is arguably too narrow for me? They do not produce a G fit.

Thanks

EG F fittings is their wide fitting it should fit similar to Church's G fitting. You can always do a MTO but it does take a few months and carries a up charge.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungapa View Post

And this is nicer than Carmina how? Because it has a vibram sole?

Well for one, it's cheaper than Carmina (which rarely goes on sale). So when looking at value-for-money, I'd go for the Canali.
Less handwork construction wise, but comparable leather quality.
Most Canali shoes I've seen are GY welted, and some have a Norvegese welt.
Although a vibram sole might only be worth $30-$50, It's still a nice feature to have for Fall weather.

That being said, my dream monk would be the JL Chapel.
post #14 of 35

So tcideneb, what double monk did you decide on?

 

I am in the same boat, so to speak, and I am running with the AS Ramsey after weeks of decision making procrastination and investigation of various shoes. 

post #15 of 35
Thread Starter 
Hi! No decision made yet. I emailed AS but they did not respond.. I'm thinking about popping into Edward green to try them out. They seem to have a good selection of colours. Keep you posted though!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › suggestions for double monk strap shoes