or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I write a beginners mens style blog that recently turned up in SF's worst style blog post. Help me improve?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I write a beginners mens style blog that recently turned up in SF's worst style blog post. Help... - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Most of the colorful pants look bad, especially in winter. (Burgundy is an exception.) Also, contrast collar dress shirt with a long tie and no jacket - fail.
Quote:
Many style blogs veer from being simple reports of what they wear or what clothes/trends they like into actual advice. This rarely comes off well when the person giving the advice is not a tremendously good dresser. Like most of us on SF, you probably dress somewhat better than your immediate peers, but you are not a great dresser. That makes your advice incomplete & unauthoritative at best, and sketchy at worst. The way to overcome this is either through more research & practice before educating others, or using a more objective style that focuses less on what you personally are wearing.

That sums it up - except that almost no bloggers, no matter how practiced they are, should be giving advice to others. It's very unfair to the public, who often don't realize they are being told misinformation. Is it an ego/money thing that so many style bloggers act like experts?
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post


I didn't know this thread existed either, but here it is:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/272980/the-terrible-fashion-blog-thread/150_30

Specifically, it begins at this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/272980/the-terrible-fashion-blog-thread/150_30#post_6086232

Thanks for this link...LOL! You made my afternoon.

 

OP, I still didn't go to your blog, but those pictures in the "terrible fashion blog thread" are hilarious. Some of those comments are GOLD. You have no business being near a camera, computer or anything else that could be used to intentionally or accidentally create a fashion/style blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

i don't think I'd take advice from a man that doesn't himself dress well. The tuxedo you are wearing is at least one size too big.

+ infinity

post #18 of 42
Come on guys, the man is trying to get better. Give constructive criticism if you want, but don't be a dick about it. None of us here are perfect either.
post #19 of 42
Am I the only one who questions the value of someone who knows nothing about style blogging about style? This is one of the things that bothers me most about the interwebs and reality tv culture. If you don't know about something shut up about it. Don't write a blog to disseminate your ignorance hither and yon.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Come on guys, the man is trying to get better. Give constructive criticism if you want, but don't be a dick about it. None of us here are perfect either.

well, none of us (at least most of us) are not writing blogs giving fashion advice either.

That said, I agree, i think the OP means well, and if he changed his site into more of a "i'm learning how to dress better, heres what I felt worked, heres what i could improve on, you judge for yourself" blog, I think the reaction would be much better.

Seems OP is into thrifting and what not. Could example of a blog on this is oregetix or whatever his name is. Most of his stuff is thrifted, but it fits well.
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post

Am I the only one who questions the value of someone who knows nothing about style blogging about style? This is one of the things that bothers me most about the interwebs and reality tv culture. If you don't know about something shut up about it. Don't write a blog to disseminate your ignorance hither and yon.

Fair, but then just don't read it. This is a problem that goes far beyond clothing. But ask the newspapers, you aren't putting that genie back in the bottle.

It does require that people's bullshit-meters be a bit more finely tuned than before when there were barriers of entry to folks who weren't "experts". But let's not forget that a lot of good has come out of the popularization of self-publishing (and I use that term very broadly to include blogs, forums, twitter, facebook, etc). This forum would not exist otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

That said, I agree, i think the OP means well, and if he changed his site into more of a "i'm learning how to dress better, heres what I felt worked, heres what i could improve on, you judge for yourself" blog, I think the reaction would be much better.

Seems OP is into thrifting and what not. Could example of a blog on this is oregetix or whatever his name is. Most of his stuff is thrifted, but it fits well.

This here is constructive criticism and is totally fair game. I'm not saying don't criticize the man--clearly, there is a lot of bad stuff on that blog. But just saying "lol this guy sux, stay away from teh intarwebz n00b" does not contribute to anything positive.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Fair, but then just don't read it. This is a problem that goes far beyond clothing. But ask the newspapers, you aren't putting that genie back in the bottle.

It does require that people's bullshit-meters be a bit more finely tuned than before when there were barriers of entry to folks who weren't "experts". But let's not forget that a lot of good has come out of the popularization of self-publishing (and I use that term very broadly to include blogs, forums, twitter, facebook, etc). This forum would not exist otherwise.
This here is constructive criticism and is totally fair game. I'm not saying don't criticize the man--clearly, there is a lot of bad stuff on that blog. But just saying "lol this guy sux, stay away from teh intarwebz n00b" does not contribute to anything positive.

I agree but would simply point out that there's another facet of this problem. Here we have a person who admittedly doesn't know about style, but nevertheless has started a blog about style and not only expects people to read it, but is surprised and horrified when people make fun of it. We aren't all special flowers and in particular, we don't all have special and valuable things to say about everything. How did so many people come to suspect otherwise?
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

i don't think I'd take advice from a man that doesn't himself dress well. The tuxedo you are wearing is at least one size too big.

Further yet, a baggy velvet odd jacket with satin facings, notch lapels and pocket flaps is stretching the definition of 'tuxedo' to the point of bursting.

The enthusiasm is to be applauded but there is a lot of spot-on critique in this thread that if followed could improve the blog exponentially.
post #24 of 42
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

(my editors for the two For Dummies books I've written are laughing somewhere as I type this, given the amount of overexuberant purple prose from me that they've had to modify).

Which two? My money is on Chromophobia for Dummies and A Jung Man's Guide to Psychology.
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I'll take the dark horse and say "Auto Repair for Dummies" and "Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies." biggrin.gif

Dr. Holdfast, please enlighten us.

 

lol, I wasn't going to answer as it seemed like shilling, but what the hell, it's never stopped me before:

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1119965845
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1118450434

 

They grew out of helping people get into med school, which later became a small side-project/microbusiness, and then the books came along. As you can tell from the humble Sales Ranks, they're never going to keep me in suits! Still, one of the them does sometimes bounce around in the top 1000 during peak months, which is nice. I'll suggest the Auto Repair one to the Ed next; it's more or less like cardiology, right? wink.gif

post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post


I agree but would simply point out that there's another facet of this problem. Here we have a person who admittedly doesn't know about style, but nevertheless has started a blog about style and not only expects people to read it, but is surprised and horrified when people make fun of it. We aren't all special flowers and in particular, we don't all have special and valuable things to say about everything. How did so many people come to suspect otherwise?

 

...sums up this thread nicely. teacha.gif

post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

lol, I wasn't going to answer as it seemed like shilling.

I shouldn't let it worry you. You know what they say, in for a penny, in for a pound.
post #27 of 42
I don't mean to be harsh but some might find it really presumptuous for a self-avowed beginner to set about dispensing style advice. But I should probably check out your blog first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistcoatWonder View Post

Hi all, lonnnnnng time lurker and only recent poster. I write http://dapper-on-a-dime.blogspot.com a blog for beginners (not that unlike myself) to mens style interested in finding their style on a budget. I was embarrassed as all get out to find that my blog is being laughed at on Style Forum in a thread about bad style blogs. I want to what I can to fix this and do what I can to both better learn...

Edited by Veremund - 2/7/13 at 3:31am
post #28 of 42

HF, is the tie in your Amazon picture Drakes? I think I have the same one.

post #29 of 42
lol8[1].gif
post #30 of 42
^^ well played
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I write a beginners mens style blog that recently turned up in SF's worst style blog post. Help me improve?