or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tuxedo and Pocket Square to match Prom Date
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tuxedo and Pocket Square to match Prom Date

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone, just joined and i have a question:

 

I'm a sophomore guy who just got asked by a senior to prom (yay). I know how dorky it is, but after seeing Skyfall, I've been itching to wear a midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo. The problem is my date and I aren't sure if her white dress with gold lace will "clash" with the blue of the tux. It's my opinion that a blue tux with black cummerbund and bow tie with a gold pocket square would compliment her gown very well (maybe even give her a corsage of dark blue flowers).

 

I do not want to be the guy who goes to prom and looks like a fool, so do you all think that the combination i suggested would look alright, or should i just keep it simple and stick with a black tux?

post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Carothers View Post

Hello everyone, just joined and i have a question:

 

1.  I'm a sophomore guy who just got asked by a senior to prom (yay).

 

2.  I know how dorky it is, but after seeing Skyfall, I've been itching to wear a midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo.

 

3.  The problem is my date and I aren't sure if her white dress with gold lace will "clash" with the blue of the tux. It's my opinion that a blue tux with black cummerbund and bow tie with a gold pocket square would compliment her gown very well (maybe even give her a corsage of dark blue flowers).

 

3 too.  I do not want to be the guy who goes to prom and looks like a fool, so do you all think that the combination i suggested would look alright, or should i just keep it simple and stick with a black tux?

 

1.  First off, good work and congrats, mi amigo, but damn, how early does this process start now?

 

2.  Not dorky, as [well fitting] midnight shawl collar tux = attaboy.  Treat it the same as [again and always, well fitting] black.  I know you mean [the dorky comment is about] the fact that it's from Skyfall, but I don't care, same answer.

 

3.  Here is where we get real.  teacha.gif  There are numerous threads here that deal with black tie, wedding and special occasion attire, etc.  Read and study them. Srs. However, for now I am going to sum them all up here in ONE piece of salient advice that you should remember for the rest of your life, but 'specially now that you as a sophomore are taking a senior to prom [don't you dare think it's the other way around]: you are the frame to her art.  That means, inter alia, you do not wear a goddamned gold pocket square - you wear white.  Your tuxedo facing matches your bow tie.  Your tuxedo fits.  Hell, don't even tell her what you're wearing ahead of time, just show up and blow her mind...as...

 

she can wear chartreuse green, magenta, hell even white with gold lace (uhoh.gif) yet you keep it simple and let her stand out, such that there is no need to "coordinate" as the obvious chemistry you two well dressed folks will ooze is more to the point and, if you keep it simple, you will not only only "coordinate," but complement her - and that's the point.  

 

Godspeed.


Edited by RedDevil10 - 2/2/13 at 10:25pm
post #3 of 25
www.blacktieguide.com

Read it, understand it, embrace it.

Midnight blue is great, just make sure it's a true midnight blue and not one of these lighter navy blue tuxes that have become trendy lately. No good. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to find a midnight blue tux outside of having one made, which I am sure is outside your budget, and frankly, even if it wasn't, I wouldn't recommend to a HS sophomore anyways. You are not likely done growing yet, so dumping bunch of money into a tux is probably not a great idea.
post #4 of 25
Remember this for the rest of your life: men do not dress to match or coordinate with their women. Her shoes should match, not her date.

Your idea for a tux sounds awesome. I'm 37, so I wouldn't wear a gold pocket square, but you're young, so be wild!
Edited by Veremund - 2/3/13 at 5:05am
post #5 of 25

I will never discourage a young man from dressing well, but I neither would I suggest rented formal wear so this is tricky.  

 

-Like mentioned above you will not likely find a true midnight blue number through a rental firm.  Wait until you are older to get into a proper midnight blue dinner jacket.  

 

-It is unwise for you or your parents to spend money on an expensive item like a tux when you will not fit into it next year.

 

So my thought are:

  • Think in the long term.  Look for a nice wool tuxedo that is very very classic.  You will have pictures taken at the prom.  These are forever.  You do not want yours or your date's family and friends looking at this picture 15 years from now laughing at you because you look like a tool in a stupid blue tuxedo. 
  • Go classic black tuxedo or dinner jacket with peak lapels, waistcoat (vest) unless wearing double breast (true tuxedo), white fold-down collar with a black bow tie, black studs. 

Like the other guys said- you are the frame- compliment her.  A well fitted classic black tuxedo will be perfect.

 

Have a good time and remember- be a gentleman: 

  • Be perfectly groomed- trim nose and ear hair, clean shaven, clean and trim fingernails.  Have your hair cut a few days before the event.
  • Offer your left arm to you date when walking, walk nearest the street when on a sidewalk (if necessary switch to the right arm). 
  • Open all doors for all women.
  • Carry a clean white handkerchief in your inner left pocket for a lady in case of a spill or tears. 
  • Carry a small tin of mints.
  • Ask before you go in for a kiss. 
post #6 of 25
Ask before kissing?? Wtf?
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

I will never discourage a young man from dressing well, but I neither would I suggest rented formal wear so this is tricky.  

-Like mentioned above you will not likely find a true midnight blue number through a rental firm.  Wait until you are older to get into a proper midnight blue dinner jacket.  

-It is unwise for you or your parents to spend money on an expensive item like a tux when you will not fit into it next year.

So my thought are:
  • Think in the long term.  Look for a nice wool tuxedo that is very very classic.  You will have pictures taken at the prom.  These are forever.  You do not want yours or your date's family and friends looking at this picture 15 years from now laughing at you because you look like a tool in a stupid blue tuxedo. 
  • Go classic black tuxedo or dinner jacket with peak lapels, waistcoat (vest) unless wearing double breast (true tuxedo), white fold-down collar with a black bow tie, black studs. 
Like the other guys said- you are the frame- compliment her.  A well fitted classic black tuxedo will be perfect.

Have a good time and remember- be a gentleman: 
  • Be perfectly groomed- trim nose and ear hair, clean shaven, clean and trim fingernails.  Have your hair cut a few days before the event.
  • Offer your left arm to you date when walking, walk nearest the street when on a sidewalk (if necessary switch to the right arm). 
  • Open all doors for all women.
  • Carry a clean white handkerchief in your inner left pocket for a lady in case of a spill or tears. 
  • Carry a small tin of mints.
  • Ask before you go in for a kiss. 
A midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo is perfectly fine and classic. He will still look good in the pictures 10-20 years from now.

I agree with your point about spending a ton of money on a tuxedo that won't fit in 1 year.
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 

I agree that purchasing one would not be a good idea, but I've look around at some local rental shops, and about 3 of them carry a slim fit midnight blue tux to rent, i was really just wanting to ask if (since i can get access to one) if it was a good idea...

 

Thanks,

Will

post #9 of 25
As long as they are classic and a true midnight blue (i.e. one baby step lighter than black), then sure, it's a classic look.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Carothers View Post

I agree that purchasing one would not be a good idea, but I've look around at some local rental shops, and about 3 of them carry a slim fit midnight blue tux to rent, i was really just wanting to ask if (since i can get access to one) if it was a good idea...

 

Thanks,

Will

Do you have a link to the tuxedo available for rental?

 

The problem I have with rentals is that they never fit right. When buying a suit or tuxedo, you generally get some alterations done (at least sleeve and trouser length). You (probably) can't do this with a rental.

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Do you have a link to the tuxedo available for rental?

The problem I have with rentals is that they never fit right. When buying a suit or tuxedo, you generally get some alterations done (at least sleeve and trouser length). You (probably) can't do this with a rental.

True, but in this case, I think a rental is a good idea. He will likely never wear the tux again before he outgrows it.

Some rental places will do a real quick hem for you if you ask. Obviously nothing permanent, but enough to keep it from dragging on the ground or covering your hands. Last time I had to rent (for a wedding... sigh) I asked about it and they were happy to accomodate.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post


True, but in this case, I think a rental is a good idea. He will likely never wear the tux again before he outgrows it.

Some rental places will do a real quick hem for you if you ask. Obviously nothing permanent, but enough to keep it from dragging on the ground or covering your hands. Last time I had to rent (for a wedding... sigh) I asked about it and they were happy to accomodate.

Good point. I didn't realize some places allowed for a hem. I would urge the OP to ask the rental place for that option.

post #13 of 25
Nothing permanent about it at all. Simply a matter of picking the stitches, the work of a moment for a tailor.

I got my tuxedo off eBay for less than twenty bucks. OP could go that route, depending on cost of rental, and would even save money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Some rental places will do a real quick hem for you if you ask. Obviously nothing permanent, but enough to keep it from dragging on the ground or covering your hands.

Edited by Veremund - 2/5/13 at 12:43pm
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 

I might look to ebay, but being only 16 and with no job yet, i doubt I could convince a parent to buy one at any cost. If i were to purchase off of Ebay, what are some good brands/ sellers to look out for. Ive been doing some more digging, and i found a fairly nice tux by Ralph Lauren for rent. It is single button, slim fit, and had peak lapels, only problem is that it is double vented, but to me as long as its not single vented i'll be fine (and how many high schoolers would even notice right?)

 

Another thing that is a little off topic... I'm a little overweight (190 lbs & 5'11" with a 34 waist and 39-42 chest... also have a large behind) and i was wondering which vent style would look best on a tux or suit for that matter. I know that the single end looks atrocious with how it flairs. Also, because i do have a little bit of  gut, should i maybe go with a cummerbund to keep it "held in" and more streamlined?

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Not sure why but I'm not sure if my last reply posted. I found what i think is a nice peak lapeled black tuxedo.(http://www.jimsformalwear.com/lauren-ralph-lauren-saville-tuxedo.htm) Although it does seem to have 2 buttons and side vents, it seems to be nice and well fitted for a rent. Also, given that I am in high school, I doubt many besides myself will notice that it isn't completely correct. My date does want us to coordinate, but i stood my ground and we agreed on this or another similarly styled tux with a black cummerbund or vest with a self tie black bow tie (i had to give in and do a gold pocket square). 

 

As an additional note... i am a little overweight (195lbs 5'11, 35 inch waist, size 40 jacket, and with a larger behind) so would you suggest a vest or cummerbund? i've heard cummerbunds can suppress the waist, but i thought the "V" shape of the vest might elongate torso shape. 

 

PS: I also found a tuxedo in the same fit and cut except that the lapels are shawl lapels. I personally like the shawl look, but it seems like it might make my torso look rounder... any suggestions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tuxedo and Pocket Square to match Prom Date