or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What's the longest you've gone between buying an item and wearing it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the longest you've gone between buying an item and wearing it? - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Years....
I have shirts/sweaters/shoes/etc NWT's that are unworn.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

My heavy duty CG parka is going on 10 years with only 4 wearings in that time.

 

my wife has had stuff for 5 years (since we've been married) that still has price tags on it.  god knows how long she's had it before  i met her.

post #18 of 24

6-ish months, when I happen to get something for cold weather at the tail end of the season, and vice versa for warm weather stuff. This has happened a couple of times, typically as a result of ordering something late in a season and it not being finished until the weather's already turned, so then it just has to wait. When this happens, I usually manage to sneak in one or two wearings anyway, but sometimes the weather just isn't appropriate, and in that case it simply has to wait. I don't think it's a particularly bad thing; gives it time to percolate through the unconscious mind as being part of your wardrobe, so outfit ideas can assemble themselves there... biggrin.gif

 

I can't imagine holding onto something for years on end without wearing it (unless it's a duplicate item, bought to insure against it not being made in the future. I've done that a couple of times with staple stuff, but since I've worn the original I don't think it's in the spirit of the thread). I don't get buying something you'll never wear; might as well flip it. Then again, where I live has limited wardrobe space, so I can't have lots of unused items around.

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

6-ish months, when I happen to get something for cold weather at the tail end of the season, and vice versa for warm weather stuff. This has happened a couple of times, typically as a result of ordering something late in a season and it not being finished until the weather's already turned, so then it just has to wait. 

 

This happens to me often, as I tend to shop out of season.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Then again, where I live has limited wardrobe space, so I can't have lots of unused items around.

 

nod[1].gif this is partly why I tend to shop out of season, makes me really think about whether the particular item is really worth it, or perhaps just a passing fancy.

post #20 of 24

2.5 years and counting. Some of it I got at a low price, with the intent to alter, but I never got around to it. Others are just too nice for me to bring myself to wear. That's why I don't make impulse buys anymore. I'm very thoughtful about my purchases now. I'd rather keep those few $k in my bank account.

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

2.5 years and counting. Some of it I got at a low price, with the intent to alter, but I never got around to it. Others are just too nice for me to bring myself to wear. That's why I don't make impulse buys anymore. I'm very thoughtful about my purchases now. I'd rather keep those few $k in my bank account.

 

I am genuinely curious to know what you consider too nice to wear. 

post #22 of 24
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Then again, where I live has limited wardrobe space, so I can't have lots of unused items around.

 

nod[1].gif this is partly why I tend to shop out of season, makes me really think about whether the particular item is really worth it, or perhaps just a passing fancy.

 

This is also true. In theory. In practice, I still occasionally buy some wacky stuff... :)

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

[...] just too nice for me to bring myself to wear.

lol, I struggle with that as well. Some shoes I buy look so good brand-new that my OCD will prevent me from wearing for months so I can continue to admire it in pristine condition. shog[1].gif
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutandSew View Post

Ralph Lauren Purple Label Suit...brand new with tags and baste stitching still intact. 11+ years and counting. I really should sell it.

biggrin.gif I think we have a winner!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What's the longest you've gone between buying an item and wearing it?