or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store - Page 5

post #61 of 1098

So bummed that they don't have a 14.5 listed. 

post #62 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingaraveup View Post

So bummed that they don't have a 14.5 listed. 

You sure? I was in the store not too long ago, and I am pretty sure there was 14.5
post #63 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post


You sure? I was in the store not too long ago, and I am pretty sure there was 14.5

I could very well be wrong. I called and the salesperson said that they started at 15. Wouldn't be the first time I was told something other than the truth by a salesperson, but I figured these people would know. I'll check again.

post #64 of 1098
X-post from the Australian members thread

Ok guys quick review of my Kamakura shirts. Owning my own company now I wouldn't normally do these anymore but seen as quite a few asked I'm more than happy to.

To draw a conclusion at the start, they are basically bloody perfect for me. The new york slim cut has nice long sleeves (91cm for a 41), and a really nice long body as well, slim through the waist and chest without being tight, It's near on the fit I have already from Cottonwork, but that's just me of course.

Collar roll fresh out of the box is fantastic, as is the tie space which is something almost all BD makers get wrong. I can only imagine the roll will get better as it's washed a few times and wrinkled up. The fabric is also softer than I expected. I got both shades of blue, the lighter and slightly darker version, which I'd call the classic oxford blue colour.

My one criticism is the darts at the back. Given how long according to their blog they worked on getting the collar right it's disapointing that they didn't spend some more time on the waist and getting rid of the darts. Anyway it's a small critique and overall not a major issue for me. Although I don't wear pockets on my shirts they just seem right on OCBD's as does having a placket. Anyway, I took a few photo's as well -

Cheers
Jason





post #65 of 1098

Good review, Jason.

 

I used to be against back darts on shirts as well. But I've learned from some of the tailors on SF that back darts are necessary to achieve the proper curve on a shirt, such that it fills in the small of your back. Even some bespoke shirtmakers use back darts by default.

 

I can't stand pockets on any shirts, so I've removed them with a seam ripper.

post #66 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by violethour1951 View Post

Good review, Jason.

 

I used to be against back darts on shirts as well. But I've learned from some of the tailors on SF that back darts are necessary to achieve the proper curve on a shirt, such that it fills in the small of your back. Even some bespoke shirtmakers use back darts by default.

 

I can't stand pockets on any shirts, so I've removed them with a seam ripper.

Just received my Kamakura shirts, they're very nice, as Henry Carter described. Got hit with a €48 tax on an order of €120 though. For €80 a shirt it's not such a good deal anymore, so I probably won't be ordering from Kamakura anymore.

post #67 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by violethour1951 View Post

Good review, Jason.

I used to be against back darts on shirts as well. But I've learned from some of the tailors on SF that back darts are necessary to achieve the proper curve on a shirt, such that it fills in the small of your back. Even some bespoke shirtmakers use back darts by default.

I can't stand pockets on any shirts, so I've removed them with a seam ripper.

Just curious, why are you against back darts in the back then, just visually not appealing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Just received my Kamakura shirts, they're very nice, as Henry Carter described. Got hit with a €48 tax on an order of €120 though. For €80 a shirt it's not such a good deal anymore, so I probably won't be ordering from Kamakura anymore.

I remember I always get hit with 20% VAT and bunch random import duty, parcel force fee etc when I use to order items from US to UK, they render even extremely good deal to blah...
post #68 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

I remember I always get hit with 20% VAT and bunch random import duty, parcel force fee etc when I use to order items from US to UK, they render even extremely good deal to blah...

Yeah, it sucks. A 20% tax would be ok, but 40% is just too much.

post #69 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

Just curious, why are you against back darts in the back then, just visually not appealing?

Yes

post #70 of 1098

Hows the color selection at the store.

 

I will be in NYC this weekend and I am looking for a beige color spread collar dress shirt

post #71 of 1098
http://instagram.com/p/ZY_dTHEuRH/

Received my shirt today from Japan in just < 4 days with a handwritten note. Thoroughly impressed with the fit of the shirt.

Be aware that the Knitted shirt is sized pretty small. I usually wear a 15/38 slim, and even a medium is VERY fitted for me. The knit shirt feels like a knitted Sunspel Riviera polo, but looks like a formal shirt - pretty interesting.
post #72 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlau View Post

http://instagram.com/p/ZY_dTHEuRH/

Received my shirt today from Japan in just < 4 days with a handwritten note. Thoroughly impressed with the fit of the shirt.

Be aware that the Knitted shirt is sized pretty small. I usually wear a 15/38 slim, and even a medium is VERY fitted for me. The knit shirt feels like a knitted Sunspel Riviera polo, but looks like a formal shirt - pretty interesting.

Why did you order from Japan instead of the Madison store?
post #73 of 1098
When I ordered in the online store, it was set by default to ship from Japan. I asked them if they could ship from the NY store, but I was told the NY store doesn't have what I ordered (Tokyo knit size medium, 15 1/3 & 32.5 OCBD Tokyo slim fit) Plus shipping is free for orders above $150 I believe, and shipping only took < 4 days and came with a handwritten thank you note in a sealed envelope. Extremely good service.
post #74 of 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlau View Post

When I ordered in the online store, it was set by default to ship from Japan. I asked them if they could ship from the NY store, but I was told the NY store doesn't have what I ordered (Tokyo knit size medium, 15 1/3 & 32.5 OCBD Tokyo slim fit) Plus shipping is free for orders above $150 I believe, and shipping only took < 4 days and came with a handwritten thank you note in a sealed envelope. Extremely good service.

Indeed, their service is impeccable. Did you have to pay any duties?

post #75 of 1098
Not yet (not that I know of)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store