I'm new to raw denim. For the last 47 years my mom, and then I, used to wash a pair of jeans whenever they were dirty or smelly.
Now I really want to wear some dry jeans, but am unsure about the washing issue.
I have to explain the point of departure:
1) I work at the office, so 8 hours a day without the opportunity to wear them "hard".
2) I don't ride horses, when I ride my bike, I wear bike gear, I don't hunt, I don't go camping, I do not hike. In my spare time I go to the tennis court (no need for jeans here) or just sit around, watch TV or things like that.
3) My job consist of visiting hospitals, practices, nursing homes etc. I am currently assistant director of the German equivalent of the CDC. Lots of germs there.
4) Might be a result of my job... I am very picky with hygiene. Clothes I wore at work have to be pulled off immediately when coming home. I would never let a jeans I wore at a hospital touch the sofa I sit on with clean clothes. I couldn't stand sitting on my sofa with the same pant I wore in a bus or subway (or McDonalds). You'll never know what kind of pig sat on that seat prior to you... So I have clothes I wear in my house and clothes for work etc.
5) I know that each time you empty your bladder while standing at an urinal you sprinkle the yellow stuff on your pants. We're not talking about a laser-beam-like thing here, watch some super-slo-mos, and you'll know what I mean. At home I sit down on my toilet, of course, but public restrooms? Oh my god, I would rather piss in my pants than sit down on these.
Needless to say that I wash my hands VERY often... I know from my job that our hands are the main carrier for infections. But the guy that shook your hand? Did he wash his hand after taking his morning dump? Touching a jeans supposed to be unwashed for half a year with hands covered with bacteria from someone's intestines is a thing causing me nightmares.
You can call me crazy now. I sometimes see myself as Sheldon Coopers lost twin. But you might understand that it is nearly impossible for me to wear a pair of jeans for 6 months. I just couldn't stand it. And I wonder if my activity level would be enough to wear the jeans only 6 months or if I would need 2 years anyway to develop the level of fading one can see here often.
Am I, simply put, just the wrong man for raw denim?
I'd like to make an experiment. I bought a raw Nudie for next to nothing from ebay. Wore the jeans for about 2 weeks in the house while watching TV. I am really tempted to throw them in the washer and see what happens ;-) If the result is plain ugly, I can wear them in the house, but maybe it works out fine?
And now, start laughing at me... I'm used to that.