or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best bespoke commission ever? I think so. *** PICTURES ADDED FOR THOSE LACKING IMAGINATION
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best bespoke commission ever? I think so. *** PICTURES ADDED FOR THOSE LACKING IMAGINATION - Page 14

post #196 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

........so you have a nice continuous line from wrist to wrist.

Well, I had that as a child: a piece of string inside the sleeves forming a continuous line from wrist to wrist, keeping my gloves in place.

Did that continuous line making me a very avant-garde child?
post #197 of 436
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

It's not about the validity of a certain method of dress, it's about doing what you do well.

You can be really good at doing some really awful, atrocious things in life. Duck fucking comes to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Cashmere lining? Aggressive. Reckless? I've found the lining of my overcoats to be the thing most prone to wearing out, out of my whole wardrobe. Cashmere is not a hard-wearing fabric. Good cashmere wears much better than bad cashmere, but still...

In my (cashmere) Loro Piana coat, the lining is 85% cotton, 15% cashmere, and I'm glad it's that mix vs. 100% cashmere, because I'd worry about wearing it out.

Good luck!

P.S. And cashmere is not slick - A lot of friction on the lining as you put the coat on and take it off...

Did you see the detailed interior pictures from a couple pages ago? There is silk lining over the shoulders and through the sleeves, precisely because cashmere is not slick.
post #198 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

See, that interior breast pocket looks normal to me. Why do that versus the horizontal one and vice-versa?
I have a vertical pocket like that on my overcoat, but I'm not sure it's in the same position as yours. Mine is on the inside of the left chest, but it's closer to where the coat opens than, say the pocket on the inside of a suit jacket. I think the purpose is to be able to have the pocket closer to the opening of the coat so that you don't have to open the coat to put something in it. Seems it's easier to slide something into the vertical opening than if it was a horizontal pocket that would naturally have to be farther back into the coat. At least that's how it seems to work on my coat.

post #199 of 436
^^^Very nice
post #200 of 436

http://www.sarto.jp/mens/2013/01/07/000332.php

 

There is an overcoat on that site that is a very similar make to your, Foo. Same pockets, belt, flap, sleeves...

post #201 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

You can be really good at doing some really awful, atrocious things in life. Duck fucking comes to mind.

I'm not sure how novel design (which seems to be where you erroneously draw the line from "tailoring" into "designing") as a concept could be considered awful or atrocious.
post #202 of 436
Thread Starter 
Are you saying there is no such thing as bad design?
post #203 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Are you saying there is no such thing as bad design?

Nope, I'm saying that the concept of new design is not a bad thing.

It's how good the actual design is that matters.

Obviously there's going to be good and bad design.
post #204 of 436
Thread Starter 
How is that different from what I've been saying? My point is that this is bad design.
post #205 of 436
Well if that's your point then I disagree, but I don't disagree with you having that point of view.

It was these comments that seemed to be confusing matters:
Quote:
After all, what is the reason for dressing the way we do, as opposed to they way they do over on SW&D? Is it really just because we like things to be "made better?" Then what's with all the suits and ties?
Quote:
You have successfully distinguished between two different viewpoints: (1) one way of dress is better than another (at least in some particular ways), and (2) all ways of dress are equally valid, so it just a matter of subjective preference. However, that doesn't settle which is closer to the truth. No one can ever prove one over the other, but as with so many other similar situations, I choose to act as if the former is true. I'd rather always be hunting to improve, even when I must commit to educated guesses, than simply settle on a world where everything is different in meaningless ways.
post #206 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I'm not sure why we're looking at it as anything more than a design detail. Though I enjoy classic tailored clothing, some people want a bit more edge to their style. Anything else will be boring to them right out of the box, let alone a few months or years from now.

More of Taub's work, taken from a friend's blog.





Niiiiiiiiiice.

Adding words to the vocabulary (to use Matt's paradigm) but in a poetic and thoughtful way, IMO.
post #207 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post


Asymmetry seems to crop up a lot in "edgy" design without ever taking hold. I think there's a reason for that...
post #208 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Asymmetry seems to crop up a lot in "edgy" design without ever taking hold. I think there's a reason for that...

post #209 of 436
That's asymmetrical in the same way that a double-breasted coat is. Which is to say, not.
post #210 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

That's asymmetrical in the same way that a double-breasted coat is. Which is to say, not.

That was kinda my point. We overlook asymmetical-ness (?) when it's got some type of heritage.

agree that it's a pretty gimmicky design feature unless there's some functionality to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best bespoke commission ever? I think so. *** PICTURES ADDED FOR THOSE LACKING IMAGINATION