or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 129
Invertere cotton shelled, alpaca lined storm coat.
Missing the buckled wrist straps and the belt. I bet somebody wanted the buckles.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-INVERTERE-Alpaca-Trench-Coat-/111007478644?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item19d88fb374

I had a NOS one in blue cotton, which I gave to my father. I think the wrist tags were marked with "Dakota" as the model name.
post #62 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Invertere cotton shelled, alpaca lined storm coat.
Missing the buckled wrist straps and the belt. I bet somebody wanted the buckles.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-INVERTERE-Alpaca-Trench-Coat-/111007478644?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item19d88fb374

I had a NOS one in blue cotton, which I gave to my father. I think the wrist tags were marked with "Dakota" as the model name.

Duffel coat is cool too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Invertere-Size-42-52-XXL-Navy-Blue-Hooded-Duffle-Toggle-Coat-Made-in-UK-/321063820410?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item4ac0e51c7a
post #63 of 129
Yes. The museum has a NOS Westcountry duffle (the domestic label for Invertere) produced for Old England. It has a great checked blanket lining.
post #64 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Yes. The museum has a NOS Westcountry duffle (the domestic label for Invertere) produced for Old England. It has a great checked blanket lining.

Can we get some Invertere museum pr0n up in here? Pretty please.
post #65 of 129
Probably not, as I never really got into taking pictures, but if I did, I would photograph the Grenfell cloth cotton shell Alpaca lined bomber jacket, bought new from O'Connells right after my wife gave away the stormcoat (Ethan convinced me that, though it wasn't the same, it was equally cool - and he was right). It is both cool and unusual (Bearcats are bizzarre, but more frequently seen - Vox's Alpaca pile duffel, though, is pretty rare).
post #66 of 129
Thread Starter 
Anybody have thoughts on what would comprise a good, well-rounded coat collection?

I'm thinking:

1. A camel haired polo coat. Peak lapeled, half belted, patch pockets. Either tan or one shade darker than tan.
2. A country tweed Ulster. Half belted, Ulster collar, cuffed sleeves, patch pockets. I'd stick to earthy colors such as brown or olive.
3. A guards coat for the city. Double breasted, peak lapeled, welted pockets, half belted. I think navy is the right color here.
4. A Loden coat. Has to be dark green, and made from real Loden cloth. I would go without the deep center vent on the back because I'm a pussy.
5. Either a covert coat or Chesterfield, depending on where you spend most of your time. The first being better for the country; the second better for the city. Fawn or grey herringbone respectively.
6. A raincoat, either a trench or mac. Navy or tan are acceptable.
7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly some kind of true great coat.
post #67 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Anybody have thoughts on what would comprise a good, well-rounded coat collection?

I'm thinking:

1. A camel haired polo coat. Peak lapeled, half belted, patch pockets. Either tan or one shade darker than tan.
2. A country tweed Ulster. Half belted, Ulster collar, cuffed sleeves, patch pockets. I'd stick to earthy colors such as brown or olive.
3. A guards coat for the city. Double breasted, peak lapeled, welted pockets, half belted. I think navy is the right color here.
4. A Loden coat. Has to be dark green, and made from real Loden cloth. I would go without the deep center vent on the back because I'm a pussy.
5. Either a covert coat or Chesterfield, depending on where you spend most of your time. The first being better for the country; the second better for the city. Fawn or grey herringbone respectively.
6. A raincoat, either a trench or mac. Navy or tan are acceptable.
7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly some kind of true great coat.

Add:

a British Warm in "pink" , a Balmacaan in tweed or tight weave cloth like Loden, a reversible tweed Balamacaan/Raincoat
post #68 of 129
What, no tweed great coat?

Also, how does Grenfell compare to the extinct Invertere?
post #69 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

What, no tweed great coat?

Also, how does Grenfell compare to the extinct Invertere?
The Grenfell stormcoat O'Connell's is selling is pretty much the same. It ws made for O'Connell's to their specs and I am certain uses the same alpaca pile lining. They were always made with a variety of shell fabrics, so there is no point in comparing those.
As I wrote way above, I saw it up close while I was wearing my own Invertere and someone else was wearing an Invertere for Paul Stuart version. As far as I could tell, they were basically all the same quality, with minor stying differences.
In other words, if you want a super well made, traditional RTW stormcoat, the O'Connell's Grenfell coat is a great option.

post #70 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly a coat in fur, down or shearling for the coldest days that penetrate the great coat and the 16oz worsted underneath.

FTFY. I suspect you haven't lived in either place for a sufficient length of time.
post #71 of 129
Thread Starter 
I've lived in Moscow for over a year, and visited in the winter a few times before that. Have also lived through a couple of NYC winters, including that cold snap a few years ago.

I think I just don't cold easily. Unless it drops below 15-20 degrees, I'm fine with a baselayer, hat, scarf, shirt, good sweater, and a basic coat.
post #72 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Add:

a British Warm in "pink" , a Balmacaan in tweed or tight weave cloth like Loden, a reversible tweed Balamacaan/Raincoat

Great thread,a few pictures of a vintage reversible Invertere.
post #73 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I've lived in Moscow for over a year, and visited in the winter a few times before that. Have also lived through a couple of NYC winters, including that cold snap a few years ago.

I think I just don't cold easily. Unless it drops below 15-20 degrees, I'm fine with a baselayer, hat, scarf, shirt, good sweater, and a basic coat.

+1 unless it gets that cold (like now), my heavier cashmere and tweed jackets are just fine with a scarf and gloves.
post #74 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I've lived in Moscow for over a year, and visited in the winter a few times before that. Have also lived through a couple of NYC winters, including that cold snap a few years ago.

I think I just don't cold easily. Unless it drops below 15-20 degrees, I'm fine with a baselayer, hat, scarf, shirt, good sweater, and a basic coat.

Your metabolism must be through the roof. The cold snap in NYC 2 years ago ate though my british warm (20+ oz Minnis) and convinced me to get a shearling coat.
post #75 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Your metabolism must be through the roof. The cold snap in NYC 2 years ago ate though my british warm (20+ oz Minnis) and convinced me to get a shearling coat.

Notwithstanding my post above, I have a custom sapphire mink ushanka being made on account of my bald dome.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread