or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cleverly Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleverly Shoes

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I did a few searches and couldn't find anything recent on Cleverly shoes.  I'm considering a bench made black shell plain cap toe balmoral from the George Cleverly line.  Any opinions on this line?  Any comments on the fit and sizing?  Thank you!

post #2 of 25

Made by C&J AFAIK.

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

Really?  That's interesting.

post #4 of 25

Cleverley, Fosters, etc, all outsource their RTW models.  G&G used to outsource their RTW to AS before they bring it in-house.

 

Foster outsource to C&J as well.  Cleverley benchmade outsourced to C&J and higher end RTW to EG.  AFAIK.

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

That's good information, thank you.  At least they are respectable shoe makers, that makes me feel a little bit better.

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Cleverley benchmade outsourced to C&J and higher end RTW to EG.  AFAIK.

Are the Anthony Cleverley range made by EG? Is the last used exclusive to Cleverley shoes?
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Anthony Cleverly is bespoke. That's as much as I know.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Anthony Cleverly is bespoke. That's as much as I know.

 

not bespoke, just hand welted.  but there were doubts regarding that claim. 

 

haven't seen any construction video and/or tear down of anthony cleverley semi-bespoke line, so can't be sure.

 

better confirm at their trunk show.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Cleverley, Fosters, etc, all outsource their RTW models.  G&G used to outsource their RTW to AS before they bring it in-house.

 

Foster outsource to C&J as well.  Cleverley benchmade outsourced to C&J and higher end RTW to EG.  AFAIK.

 

 

Interesting.  I thought it was more that Tony and Dean of G&G used the AS facility/equipment for a period while they were establishing their business.  In exchange they helped AS develop the new lasts/styles which have largely driven the recovery in the AS business from near collapse.

 

I didn't think that AS actually executed the G&G RTW production on an outsourced basis.  Perhaps it is a fine distinction anyway.

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

not bespoke, just hand welted.  but there were doubts regarding that claim. 

haven't seen any construction video and/or tear down of anthony cleverley semi-bespoke line, so can't be sure.

better confirm at their trunk show.

There was some debate about who made those...C&J or EG.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo-man View Post

lt doesn't really matter who made what, l think it is more important to recognise the product for it's individual qualities and not have a need to rely on a brand name as a gage. See if the Cleverley are better than the C&J for yourself. 

Having Cleverley made in a C&J factory doesn't mean that the brands will be the same quality. Too many variables to be able to say this. The seeing is in the final product with careful observation, that's why l said what l did in the above paragraph. 

Well I have seen them in person - and they don't look like C&J or EG, but certainly are well made.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Excellent point. I'm sure Cleverly has their own specifications which the shoes must meet for materials and construction. They just pay someone else to do it.
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Well, at least in my case, I'm not looking for AC. I can't see spending that much on a shoe I won't be wearing every week.
post #14 of 25

My new Anthony Cleverly Cordovan

 

 

 

 

 

 

AppleMark

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AppleMark

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Gorgeous, wear them in good health.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cleverly Shoes