or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › shoe size stress
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

shoe size stress

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

First, I know the correct answer here is "get your feet sized at AE" and I am doing that on Monday at one of their stores, but I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on here...

 

I always thought I was a size 11D for shoes.  I have always worn the 11D and have been happy.  Recently, I got some AE 11D oxfords and 10.5D in loafers, and they were too big, so I took them back and ordered down to a 10D in the oxfords and loafers.  Before I re-ordered the shoes, I got my shoes sized, and the salesman told me I am not a size 11, but can take either a 10 or 10.5, not 11.

 

Today my AE loafers came in the 10D they were supposed to be, and I am very happy with the looks of the shoes.  However, when I tried them on with my accompanying AE (thin) socks, the shoes are too big and my feet slide a little.  I tried on some random loafers at the store I got sized and a 10D seemed to fit me fine. 

 

Is a little slippage in loafers ever OK? When I put my feet in the shoes and put my feet on the ground, I can slide my feet up and down the shoe.  Does this mean the shoe is simply too big?  No matter how much I like the shoes, I won't be paying (and wearing) stuff that does not fit me...I would rather wear $50 dress shoes that fit me than $500 ones that don't, but I am getting OCD when it comes to the fit of shoes, so I really don't even know how to tell if shoes fit now!  I have about 1/2 inch of clearance with the shoes.

 

Any idea what is going on?  Could I wear a 11 in sneakers and a 9 or 9.5 in loafers?  According to the shoe measurement thing, my feet were clearly in the 10s, so I have no idea why my 10 loafers are loose.

 

I did some research and found out that some people are not a good match for loafers, and since loafers don't lace up, they are unforgiving when it comes to size.

post #2 of 9
Yes, you could wear a variety of sizes within the same brand depending on the last and style. Also, you can wear different sizes across brands. In addition to the initial fit, you'll start to get a better idea after a few months of wear. Once you find a few lasts that work with you and have worn them for a period of time, sizing will be less complicated.
post #3 of 9
Something is not right, I'm an 11D in all my shoes from several brands for the last 35 years.

Maybe you're a 9:)
post #4 of 9
Something is not right, I'm an 11D in all my shoes from several brands for the last 35 years.

Maybe you're a 9:)
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnc View Post

First, I know the correct answer here is "get your feet sized at AE" and I am doing that on Monday at one of their stores, but I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on here...

 

I always thought I was a size 11D for shoes.  I have always worn the 11D and have been happy.  Recently, I got some AE 11D oxfords and 10.5D in loafers, and they were too big, so I took them back and ordered down to a 10D in the oxfords and loafers.  Before I re-ordered the shoes, I got my shoes sized, and the salesman told me I am not a size 11, but can take either a 10 or 10.5, not 11.

 

Today my AE loafers came in the 10D they were supposed to be, and I am very happy with the looks of the shoes.  However, when I tried them on with my accompanying AE (thin) socks, the shoes are too big and my feet slide a little.  I tried on some random loafers at the store I got sized and a 10D seemed to fit me fine. 

 

Is a little slippage in loafers ever OK? When I put my feet in the shoes and put my feet on the ground, I can slide my feet up and down the shoe.  Does this mean the shoe is simply too big?  No matter how much I like the shoes, I won't be paying (and wearing) stuff that does not fit me...I would rather wear $50 dress shoes that fit me than $500 ones that don't, but I am getting OCD when it comes to the fit of shoes, so I really don't even know how to tell if shoes fit now!  I have about 1/2 inch of clearance with the shoes.

 

Any idea what is going on?  Could I wear a 11 in sneakers and a 9 or 9.5 in loafers?  According to the shoe measurement thing, my feet were clearly in the 10s, so I have no idea why my 10 loafers are loose.

 

I did some research and found out that some people are not a good match for loafers, and since loafers don't lace up, they are unforgiving when it comes to size.

They're too wide, try a b or c.You may even need a 10.5 or 11 a or b. Perhaps you were always wearing sneakers in the wrong size, they're more forgiving if missized.Since you're inexperienced go by the arch measurement and try on 10,10.5 and 11 in the narrower widths.Your real size is the heel to ball measurement. Some lasts which are just the shape are longer but this doesn't effect size or width.A long narrow last just as a little more space in the front which has no effect on fit(heel to ball and width) Lasts are just shapes and style mostly. Even last at AE will fit perfectly in my size and width and I've been wearing them for 40 years.And never buy Factory Rejects (seconds) I didn't even know AE did this.

post #6 of 9

Many people buy seconds from AE. They seem good enough for them?
 

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackP View Post

Many people buy seconds from AE. They seem good enough for them?
 

Clothing and shoes, even high quality stuff, are relatively cheap in the general scheme of things so it's ridiculous to buy factory rejects on an item that only sells for $300. If you keep a shoe for 5 years worrying about a $100 difference is trivial.And if you wore it 2 days a week it would amount to a 20 cent difference per day. So why even bother with 2 nds?

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackP View Post

Many people buy seconds from AE. They seem good enough for them?

 

They are. I've got two pairs of AE seconds, and I can't even find the flaw in them. There's usually no need to pay full retail for AEs.

Don't listen to this guy, he's either a troll or a clueless n00b. He was telling people in another thread that resoling shoes is a bad idea, so... Yeah.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

They are. I've got two pairs of AE seconds, and I can't even find the flaw in them. There's usually no need to pay full retail for AEs.

+1, I have about 6 pair of AE seconds and only one could I find a flaw with. (Came with a slight scuff, which I could easily get myself on the first wearing.) In sneakers (Nike, Adidas, NB, etc) I am a size 11 but I wear 10E in AE lace-ups and 10D in loafers so your experience is similar to mine. As Latour said, if you have a narrow foot I could easily see you in a 10 B or C. Don't worry about what number or letter it is, just worry about the fit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › shoe size stress